Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Upgrade shock 1250

+2
Dekenai
stretch
6 posters

Go down

Upgrade shock 1250 Empty Upgrade shock 1250

Post  stretch Mon 13 Sep 2010, 7:09 pm

I want to upgrade the shock in my 07 1250S. wHAT HAVE OTHERS DONE, TOTAL REPLACEMENT, REBUILD?? ETC.
i have had other shocks rebuilt by Frank Pons and been happy with his work. I guess thats where i will go 1st.
Just after other options.
Thanks
Stretch.

stretch

Back to top Go down

Upgrade shock 1250 Empty Re: Upgrade shock 1250

Post  Dekenai Mon 13 Sep 2010, 8:27 pm

My solution was a total replacement with Ohlins. You don't say what your issue is with the rear shock, from personal experience it's not too bad and and if it's not worn out (I believe they are good for about 30K kms), and if it's just better handling you want then I suggest you attack the front first. A set of springs (1.0 kg/mm for riders < ~ 90 Kg) plus a re-valve, (compression and rebound) and a fork brace will make a world of difference.

Cheers Peter
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  stretch Tue 14 Sep 2010, 11:15 am

Dekenai wrote:My solution was a total replacement with Ohlins. You don't say what your issue is with the rear shock, from personal experience it's not too bad and and if it's not worn out (I believe they are good for about 30K kms), and if it's just better handling you want then I suggest you attack the front first. A set of springs (1.0 kg/mm for riders < ~ 90 Kg) plus a re-valve, (compression and rebound) and a fork brace will make a world of difference.

Cheers Peter

Handleing is ok. I have a fork brace fitted and that helped a lot. Its mainly the rear dampening thats needs attention, just click over 22k so the shock is on the way out.
Got prices from CD Dynamics in the USA
Ohlins USD$972, Penske $759, Cogent $595 plus $80 post. Will see what Ponsy charges for a rebuild and revalve. Going on previous prices i recon around the 350 to 400 mark.

stretch

Back to top Go down

Upgrade shock 1250 Empty GSXR 1000 shock alternative......

Post  rolls Tue 26 Oct 2010, 2:06 pm

I have bought an 08 GSXR1000 rear shock for my K4, and I believe they fit the 1250 as well. The gixxer shock is 5.5mm longer than the bandit shock, so it will lift the rear by about 27mm making the steering a touch sharper. If I don't like the way it steers after that, I'll make a new set of dog bones. The shock cost $88 with postage from the states (go Aussie dollar!), and there are lots of others on ebay. There are PLENTY of threads discussing gixxer transplants on the poms' bandit site:
http://www.banditforum.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=2.0

The tracking info on my parcel indicated it was in customs yesterday, so hopefully I'll see it by the end of the week. I'll post pics when I put it in.

Tony.

rolls
rolls

Back to top Go down

Post  stretch Wed 27 Oct 2010, 10:46 am

Let us know how the fitment goes and how it feels rides and handles. I imagine that the Gixxer shock might have to be revalved for the Bandit??

I have ordered a Cogent shock from Dale Walker, should be here in 2 weeks!!

Getting the forks done next week by Frank Pons. Heavier springs and oil, weld the Dampening rod and a few other tweaks around $380.

stretch

Back to top Go down

Post  rolls Wed 27 Oct 2010, 11:20 am

stretch wrote: I imagine that the Gixxer shock might have to be revalved for the Bandit??

Unless it's stuffed it won't need revalving as the gixxer shock has full rebound and compression damping adjustment.
rolls
rolls

Back to top Go down

Post  stretch Wed 27 Oct 2010, 2:46 pm

rolls wrote:
stretch wrote: I imagine that the Gixxer shock might have to be revalved for the Bandit??

Unless it's stuffed it won't need revalving as the gixxer shock has full rebound and compression damping adjustment.

What i was meaning was that the valving for a full on sports bike will be different to heavy sports tourer?

stretch

Back to top Go down

Post  moto1 Mon 06 Dec 2010, 2:24 pm

stretch wrote:Let us know how the fitment goes and how it feels rides and handles. I imagine that the Gixxer shock might have to be revalved for the Bandit??

Getting the forks done next week by Frank Pons. Heavier springs and oil, weld the Dampening rod and a few other tweaks around $380.

Hey Stretch,

How's the new Cogent shock from Dale Walker's going any vast improvements ? I'm thinking of upgrading but not sure if the cost is worth it ?

Cheers
moto1
moto1

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 06 Dec 2010, 2:41 pm

Fitted gsxr1000(might have been 750?)with remote res. on my 1200.Had to file a small bit off shock (EASY) to get it to fit .Never really
got it right but that might have been the shock(used)

Bought a HAGON in vic? more than happy and very good price.This is going back a while now though .
Ohlins just waisted on me.
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  stretch Mon 06 Dec 2010, 2:52 pm

SydneyBandit wrote:
stretch wrote:Let us know how the fitment goes and how it feels rides and handles. I imagine that the Gixxer shock might have to be revalved for the Bandit??

Hey Stretch,

How's the new Cogent shock from Dale Walker's going any vast improvements ? I'm thinking of upgrading but not sure if the cost is worth it ?

Cheers

Gday Syd bandit,
Yeah the Cogent is pretty good once u have dialled it in. I was amazed how much preload i had to put on to get it to the correct sag, but once it was setup just a few tweaks up and down on the pre load to get just how u like it. Worth the money... well i guess thats a personal thing, i have always done the suspension on my bikes and it sure is an improvement. I had the Forks done by Frank Pons the week b4 getting the shock and that was a MAJOR improvement and with the fork brace fitted, yeah its a sweeting ridin sweet handling Bandit now.

Cheers, Stretch

stretch

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick Tue 07 Dec 2010, 2:25 pm

I run the Ohlins with remote pre load adjuster. A bonus when you load up with gear and/or a sheila.
Rick
Rick

Back to top Go down

Post  rolls Mon 13 Dec 2010, 9:28 am

I've had the GSXR1000 shock in now for quite a few weeks. It really fixed up the rear end, but showed just how shithouse the front end is. I bought a pair of progressive springs a few weeks ago and only got round to putting them in on the weekend. WOW! Its now a super smooth ride that handles like a sportsbike. Love it!

"The gixxer shock is 5.5mm longer than the bandit shock, so it will lift the rear by about 27mm making the steering a touch sharper." WRONG. The 05/06 gixxer shock is 5.5mm longer, the 07/08 shock is 5mm shorter, so it lowered the arse by 25mm and made the bike feel really low and laid back and very lazy on the turns. I put in a new set of dog bones to lift it 35mm, so now 10mm over standard.

The bike wanted to drop into corners without any hesitation, and felt a lot more sure footed at speed. The limitations of the front end were now completely exposed. Powering through corners, no problem. Down a hill into a corner, or even on the brakes into a corner and it felt very much like a flat tyre as the front would wobble and couldn't keep a line. New progressive springs, 12.5w oil, fixed.

There is now no harshness at all in the ride. All but the largest bumps are soaked up without throwing me off course. Four hours work, no "special" tools, $265 parts, and I cannot believe the result.

rolls
rolls

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down