Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPS Mounting - 5 Volt Cable

+2
barry_mcki
GGiant
6 posters

Go down

GPS Mounting - 5 Volt Cable Empty GPS Mounting - 5 Volt Cable

Post  GGiant Sat 11 Jul 2015, 7:58 am

I have a Garmin GPS to mount after selling my old Strike GPS.

The Garmin comes with about '6 feet' of cable, a mix of 12 and 5 volt. What I would like to do is have a short 5 volt cable straight from the GPS mounting bracket, with a USB plug fitted, so I can plug it into a USB slot plug, that is plugged into my din/BWK type socket (Hope that you can picture that).

The factory long cable starts at the 12 v end with bare wire ends, then an inline 5amp fuse, then a 12v to 5v converter (box transformer thing), then the 5v cable to the GPS.

A few questions arise, and I hope a kind Bandit can help.

Would the 5v cable to the GPS be a USB cable?

I understand a USB cable has a + and - power wires inside, with two other data wires, all shielded. So I am thinking I would only need to cut, solder, individually heat shrink the 5v power wires, then wrap etc.

How is this sounding?

I like to quickly remove the GPS when I'm not using it, or when I leave my bike.

I know some will say, just coil the 6 feet of wire - but that is not a solution for me.

Please let me know what you reckon.

Cheers GG

Back to top Go down

GPS Mounting - 5 Volt Cable Empty Re: GPS Mounting - 5 Volt Cable

Post  barry_mcki Sat 11 Jul 2015, 8:35 am

Not sure which GPS you have but I found this note on the USB pinout and it might be how all Garmin's are wired:

GPS Mounting - 5 Volt Cable Garmin10

So there could be an issue in having the unit work and charge at the same time.

Let us know how it works out, personally I'd be sticking with the 12v lead, manufacturers don't usually put in extra parts just for the fun of it.

GPS Mounting - 5 Volt Cable Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sat 11 Jul 2015, 10:17 am

Im not really understanding exactly what you want to do and why.
Why not wire it the way Garmin expect you too? Doesn't the factory cable unplug from the GPS so you can remove the GPS? Or is it a powered dock?

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sat 11 Jul 2015, 10:47 am

madmax wrote:Im not really understanding exactly what you want to do and why.
Why not wire it the way Garmin expect you too? Doesn't the factory cable unplug from the GPS so you can remove the GPS? Or is it a powered dock?
x2, just do it the way it was designed to do, it'll save a heap of grief
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  GGiant Sat 11 Jul 2015, 4:51 pm

Thanks Barry and fellas. I want to be able to remove the GPS cradle easily.

The idea of coiling a mass of stiff wire + inline fuse + giant 50x40x25 mm converter + chubby metallic cylinder thingy 'just aint on'. I have tried, and pretended it's all okay, but it aint and the area around the handle bars is a mess. I have a tall Ramball mount so I can see over my tankbag. I like 'neat'.

So the challenge remains. Thanks for all your advice though. I understand it is a risky thing I am after. Anyway if I find a way I'll let you know. 

GG

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Sat 11 Jul 2015, 8:22 pm

Why not run a waterproof USB plug to the fairing? Then run a short USB lead to the caddy

Plenty of options

GPS Mounting - 5 Volt Cable $_35

GPS Mounting - 5 Volt Cable $_57
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  GGiant Sun 12 Jul 2015, 4:42 pm

Thanks RD. That is what I have in mind but there is a question whether the GPS will work properly with the cable shortened. Also if the 5v cable can be connected to a USB plug or not (to then plug into the USB socket).

Anyway, I will keep working on it. I know I need to be cautious but will continue, and get back with what I find.

I was out on the bike earlier today. For a northerner like me it is frrreeeeezing, so must be ultra cool down south.

Tks GG

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sun 12 Jul 2015, 5:03 pm

GGiant wrote:

I was out on the bike earlier today. For a northerner like me it is frrreeeeezing, so must be ultra cool down south.

Tks GG

We had a high of 12 deg. today in Adelaide but the wind made it feel more like 5 deg..................Yep , you could say ultra cool  Evil or Very Mad
( not normally quite this bad )

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  GGiant Sun 12 Jul 2015, 8:52 pm

I have been looking at the weather map and watching the isobars pouring the Antarctic Blast into Adelaide, then around into NSW. I've only been caught in such conditions on the New England Hwy once and crikey, trying to stay on the bike in the cross-wind gusts took all my concentration. affraid I didn't feel the cold.

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Mon 13 Jul 2015, 12:05 pm

GGiant wrote:Thanks RD. That is what I have in mind but there is a question whether the GPS will work properly with the cable shortened. Also if the 5v cable can be connected to a USB plug or not (to then plug into the USB socket).

Anyway, I will keep working on it. I know I need to be cautious but will continue, and get back with what I find.

Tks GG
What does the plug look like? USB is definitely 5v, the adapters can supply as little as 500mA and over 1.2A. USB standard is 500mA but this has since been overridden to allow for fast charging iDevices with lithium batteries. 

I reckon it'll work no problem with a short cable

Nokia do a cable that is about 15cm long GPS Mounting - 5 Volt Cable 31Wu3RAXr8L._SY300_
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  GGiant Mon 27 Jul 2015, 7:49 pm

The 5 volt cable is a coaxial type with central quite heavy power wire and shielded outer that acts as the earth too. I snipped to have a look. No prizes for the faint hearted!

So the cable isn't a USB type. I shortened the 5 volt and the 12 volt power. I kept all the boxes, fuses etc and it all ended up at a handier 400mm compared with 1800mm. I can live with that. It is still bulky, but not a bad outcome. It all seems to work and charge okay - no smoke.

Cheers GG

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Mon 27 Jul 2015, 8:02 pm

Good work. We all know what happens when you let the smoke out. Where's the pics?
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  GGiant Mon 27 Jul 2015, 9:20 pm

Thanks RD Smile

I haven't mastered the pics ability I'm sorry.

I meant to mention that the std wires in the setup are very stiff, and with the heat shrink are even stiffer. This is a down side, but I have managed to wrap then in a tidy bundle that will allow me to remove the setup from the Ramball easily, which is my objective. So all good, it will do. I'll give it a tour test in a few weeks time.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down