Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First impressions:- Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory

+6
MattyC
Hammy
Bosco15
paul
mtbeerwah
sb1250
10 posters

Go down

First impressions:- Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory Empty First impressions:- Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory

Post  sb1250 Sun 28 Jun 2015, 7:05 pm

First impressions:- Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory 1A5BCC5E-7623-4D66-BF17-27623EAA6858_zps2fybfywz 

Please note: read the following report knowing that it is my (sb1250's) personal experience and a completely biased report coz I'm still so excited about my new purchase!
My choice of manufacturer, model, and colour might not be to everyone's taste, so boo hoo..... I love it!!Twisted Evil
Why didn't I buy a BMW S1000? I didn't like the finish, the exhaust, and the list if elec problems. The GSXF1000? A 10 year old engine with bland styling, and it was always due out "soon". The Z1000? Just didn't do it for me! 

Now the only changes I've done to the bike since it left the dealer was adjust the levers! The Tuono is almost a perfect fit for me. I felt "at home" as soon as I threw a leg over! Seat is fairly firm, but not uncomfortable for my derrière. Just for comparison, I thought the standard seat on the Bandit was pretty comfy!! The Tuono seat is firmer, and slightly wider. 
The bars aren't flat, but raised to a position that doesn't push too much weight thru my wrists. 
My legs aren't cramped with the foot peg position, and the gear lever isn't hard to access. I say this coz the Bandits gear lever was always difficult to squeeze my winter alpine star boot under. The clutch is light and the throttle is fly by wire. The switch gear isn't for the ham fisted!! It's more of a delicate touch to use the indicator. I still find myself pushing the indicator button hard expecting a click, or clunk to let me know the indicators have cancelled. Using the high beam switch took a few goes to get comfy with. It's a" flick up" with yer pointy finger!! The actual high beam shines from the centre lamp only, low beam lights up the 2 outside lamps with a DRL in the lower part of the centre beam. All the lights work like .....errr......proper lights, not a tea candle! The horn in no Stebel, but is louder than shouting.

The instrument panel has 2 displays, one conventional road type, and one for full on race track use. It took me 2 days to work out the clock and trip computer from the inch n a half thick instruction manual. All the functions are available from the left switch gear. There's a mode switch and + n - buttons which can be adjusted/selected on the fly. You can adjust the amount of ABS and or traction control while still moving. There's also launch control, and wheelie control......but they're set to girlie mode at the moment. Oh, the Tuono has a slipper clutch, and a quick shifter. The quick shifter works best over 5k, and is intoxicating! Keep the throttle open (constant or accelerating), and just up shift without any clutch. Sounds similar to the VW Golfs or the Audis. 

Now THAT engine! Holy sh1t!! On start up there's an explosion.....literally! I'm worried the neighbours are going to get pretty pissed at my early morning start ups. The engine, a V4 60 degree 1100, sounds like a pissed off VFR800. It's the loudest standard exhaust I've ever heard. A sticker informs me that at 5500rpms, the noise is going to register 107dba's!! For me it's the best of both configurations. It's not as smooth as an inline 4, but still has a "revy" twin feel. 

Ive never had a full ohlins suspension setup (including strg damper) before, and my "Factory" comes with it......standard. The base Tuono RR has a Sachs setup, and from what I've read, are pretty good anyway. Wow, this thing likes to go around corners. Unbelievably confidence inspiring. I'm going to get the ohlins setup for my weight after it's first service.
Tyres are sticky Pirelli Super corsas, and the rear is a 200. Reckon they might get 4000kms if I'm lucky, and get swapped out for Michelins RP4's.

There's a pillion seat, but it's removable/replaceable with the tail piece. The seat isn't going to win any comfort competitions, but my lovely wife reckons an hour trip into the hills to get a coffee will be no problem. There's virtually no room under the pillion seat/duck tail area, so finding a suitable place for a puncture repair kit or another pro-oiler, is going to be a challenge. 

The fit and finish is fantastic. It's not very often I find myself just staring at a motorcycle, but this Tuono is captivating. The attention to detail...wow. From the welds, to module placement, to the exhaust, panel gaps, instrument fonts, the lines on the body, the brembo mono blocks, cable shields, design of the fuel filler cap......, those wheels...., that rear hugger, ......mmmmm....oh, wooops, sorry, I've been rambling.....I'll shut up now.
cheers

Mods included...
Home made rad guard
IXIL muffler
Pro-oiler
stebel nautilus compact horn
Xenon 55w 4300k HID (low beam only)
Ventura Rack
Did have Bandit Mania "Chin" spoiler (belly pan) RIP... Sad 
Barkbuster Storm hand guards
Removed rubber dampers from tool kit area - Gus' idea
sb1250
sb1250

Back to top Go down

First impressions:- Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory Empty Re: First impressions:- Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory

Post  mtbeerwah Sun 28 Jun 2015, 8:17 pm

I`m still really jealous...........

I rode the v4 1000 when they first came out, and its still etched on my memory like yesterday.

I was the same with the indicator switch, its a bit weird that thing!

Like you say, its not as smooth as an in line, but who cares.

After reading reviews about the 1100, its supposed to be smoother than the 1000.  I could have lived with the 1000 no worries.

They`ve made the 1100 into a far better bike by all reports, and my next trip to the big smoke, will have me swinging on by for a test blast.

The only thing that may/would put me off the bike is the noise. I`m not saying its bad. I love the sound, but as you say, the neighbours may soon hate you. 
But hey...its no where near as loud as those American things that annoy the crap out of me.

Well done mate. Happy riding!!

Last edited by mtbeerwah on Sun 28 Jun 2015, 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

First impressions:- Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory Empty Re: First impressions:- Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory

Post  paul Sun 28 Jun 2015, 9:14 pm

Great report, thanks for sharing  Very Happy

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Sun 28 Jun 2015, 9:29 pm

Nice write up. 
Super jealous.  
You've done what everyone on here wishes they could. Had a dream. Made it happen. Good on you.YOLO. Smile
Please tell me that you are now saving your pennies to do a SuperBike school and ride your girl where she was made to excell.

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Mon 29 Jun 2015, 6:27 am

Great stuff SB.  Some more pics please. From different angles. And tell us how she rides.  Sounds like you're in love. Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post  MattyC Tue 30 Jun 2015, 4:30 pm

That's a very nice bike.
More pics would be great Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Tue 30 Jun 2015, 8:49 pm

What's YOLO?
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Tue 30 Jun 2015, 9:02 pm

reddog wrote:What's YOLO?

It's important to keep up with the lingo, RD, after all, you only live once. Smile

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Tue 30 Jun 2015, 9:16 pm

reddog wrote:What's YOLO?
This site is handy for any future references you may want........just type in the word or phrase   Very Happy

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Yolo

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Tue 30 Jun 2015, 9:57 pm

You only live once?

Good write up, great to see your new ride has realy stirred up your passion for riding
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Tue 30 Jun 2015, 11:29 pm

Chook wrote:You only live once?

Except if you're Hindu...............

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  buford_t_justice Thu 02 Jul 2015, 12:13 pm

I'm tempted to get one of these. I want the factory, but don't like the flashy paint job, wish you could get the rr with ohlins ... See what happens Saturday when I check them out in the flesh
buford_t_justice
buford_t_justice

Back to top Go down

Post  sb1250 Mon 06 Jul 2015, 8:19 am

For those that asked........

First impressions:- Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory 51E96627-6FB9-4F9E-8FD6-E9541FA96FF3_zpswfl59vx2 

First impressions:- Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory 50EC6F31-69AF-4C1B-9DF3-6710B4420303_zpsrh54ujoy 

There's more pics, but photobucket is having a hissy fit for some reason!

Mods included...
Home made rad guard
IXIL muffler
Pro-oiler
Ventura Rack
sb1250
sb1250

Back to top Go down

Post  sb1250 Mon 06 Jul 2015, 10:41 am

First impressions:- Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory 814BF7CD-4C90-4726-8A53-FD31BA1FAEBE_zpsxh3y4qo1 

First impressions:- Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory BEDDBDDF-82ED-47E0-A8BA-78E38357D176_zpszr9ku29a 

First impressions:- Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory 7FD9A530-6AB8-4AE6-A4A8-40A0ACD55EE1_zpsw4eq9q3o 

First impressions:- Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory 3094E2D6-FE2F-499E-A2ED-EC6C5FD85AF5_zps94pyhvvg

Mods included...
Home made rad guard
IXIL muffler
Pro-oiler
Ventura Rack
sb1250
sb1250

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Mon 06 Jul 2015, 11:15 am

Oooh I'd love to hear what she sounds like with that needle hovering around 15. cyclops

Back to top Go down

Post  buford_t_justice Mon 06 Jul 2015, 12:12 pm

sb1250: I test rode one on Sat, but its display failed (worry on a bike with 25km on the odo), and the throttle/driveline snatch was bad... Dealer thought it might have been in track mode, but we couldn't tell.  Can you confirm this ?
buford_t_justice
buford_t_justice

Back to top Go down

Post  sb1250 Mon 06 Jul 2015, 2:18 pm

Well B-T-J, I can't confirm much. The dash has 2 displays, a road display, and a track display. The bike has 3 modes .......
Race - less engine braking
Sport - most engine braking
Track - engine braking greater than R

Each one of those has it's own levels of traction control, wheelie control, and ABS.
Throttle response is different for each mode as well.
The dealer should know the product, and how it all works. 
I don't know about the "blank" display.....doesn't sound good!

The RR's are the same as the Factory, except for the ohlins and body work/graphics......oh, and the price!

Sounds like your test ride wasn't that pleasant/exciting??!?

Mods included...
Home made rad guard
IXIL muffler
Pro-oiler
Ventura Rack
sb1250
sb1250

Back to top Go down

Post  buford_t_justice Mon 06 Jul 2015, 9:01 pm

Unfortunately I could only ride in an urban environment, so I couldn't judge a lot. The dead display, snatchy throttle/deiveline lash and there was a lot of clutch noise at idle too unless you pulled the clutch in.

I rode the 1000 afterwards and felt a lot more comfortable on it, not sure why, but it didn't have a snatchy throttle, and didn't have a noisy clutch like the 1100 did for some reason.

Having said that, for my abilities, I may look at picking up a runout model if the price is right. I have decided that a tuono is definitely my next bike. The handling and flickability were amazing... And that engine, probably one of the best noises I've ever heard.

I had test ridden an s1000r, and if it had a v4, I would buy it, but I already have a reliable bike (bandit), so can afford to have another Italian bike.

Dealer said they can't keep up demand of the factories and the factory may end up converting rr's to factory models ...

Still have my other bike to sell, so I'll ponder this one in the meantime I think :p
buford_t_justice
buford_t_justice

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down