Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grab On Grip Covers

+2
SuzySuzuki
Chook
6 posters

Go down

Grab On Grip Covers Empty Grab On Grip Covers

Post  Chook Fri 20 Feb 2015, 5:05 pm

My 50yo hands are starting to feel it when I ride longer distances so I thought I'd better do something about it before the trip to Parkes. I picked these up on ebay, just over $20 delivered, took about a week and a half from Canada

Simple fit, cut to length, spray inside with hair spray, slide them on real quick. I had to roll the 1st one off and start again after taking too long.

I fitted them last Saturday, it said allow 24 hours to fully dry before riding, I reckon in the 40 deg C we had that day, 5 minute would have been plenty.

After only ever riding with standard grips they felt a bit odd when I hopped on the bike to go to work Monday, by yesterday they already felt normal, in the afternoon I rode a customers bike into the shed at work and the standard grips already felt like tooth picks, so far I'm very happy with them.

Grab On Grip Covers Nlyg3o

Grab On Grip Covers 2ii7cj5
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Grab On Grip Covers Empty Re: Grab On Grip Covers

Post  SuzySuzuki Fri 20 Feb 2015, 6:08 pm

i have similar grips on the triple, but wondered how id go with them on the Bandit. At least you can remove them if you dont like them, right?

Carbon Fibre tank pad and fuel cap surround
Puig Race Screen
Ventura rack system
Shorter Exhaust on the WishList
[Grab On Grip Covers Suzuki10img]https://nswbandits.forumotion.net/[/img]

SuzySuzuki

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Fri 20 Feb 2015, 6:18 pm

Yeh, they are straight over the originals, I don't think it would be too hard to clean the hair spray off the original grips
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  SuzySuzuki Fri 20 Feb 2015, 6:28 pm

I put mine on the Triple, with soapy water, and were buggers to push on.

Carbon Fibre tank pad and fuel cap surround
Puig Race Screen
Ventura rack system
Shorter Exhaust on the WishList
[Grab On Grip Covers Suzuki10img]https://nswbandits.forumotion.net/[/img]

SuzySuzuki

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Fri 20 Feb 2015, 6:30 pm

They look like the same stuff as gym equipment foam tube from Clark rubber I got...........Quite good to use  Very Happy.............The trick is soapy water and use an old flannel or something to wrap around the grip when sliding it on so your hands don't slip .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Fri 20 Feb 2015, 6:35 pm

The Pussy Grips say to use soapy water, hair spray worked a treat on these
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  richmich Thu 26 Feb 2015, 4:07 pm

Just put some Pussy Grips on using the "soapy water" method and worked OK. Went riding 1/2 Hr later and all good. I've had them on my cruiser before the Bandit, and they're great.
< $20 on ebay within Australia and my last pair started to wear out after about 10,000Km.
BTW I'm still getting used to this Forum, so hope this works.

richmich

Back to top Go down

Post  jstava Thu 26 Feb 2015, 5:53 pm

I'm with Paul on this.  Years ago, I fitted some Grab-On grips for my XT550 - revolutionised the way it all felt and worked.   I loved them.  

They didn't last long.  I got some of that stuff from Clark rubber and it was pretty similar - but lasted the rest of the period of ownership on the bike 40,000 kays as opposed to more like 10,000 - I got a real good run out of the Clark rubber stuff and ended up using the rest of it on pushbike handlebars, cause I was never going to use it up on the motorbike.  The Clark rubber was much less affected by UV light - the genuine article got crumbly way sooner, and was better when it was really wet the Grabons would fill with water and get squishy and a little slippery the other, not so much.

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 27 Feb 2015, 9:12 am

I had Pussy Grips on my B1250 only to increase the grip size.
They worked well but I always split the left hand grip from how I wheel the bike around.
Have a spare pair in the garage but Honda seem to have fatter grips.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Fri 27 Feb 2015, 9:45 am

jstava wrote:I'm with Paul on this.  Years ago, I fitted some Grab-On grips for my XT550 - revolutionised the way it all felt and worked.   I loved them.  

They didn't last long.  I got some of that stuff from Clark rubber and it was pretty similar - but lasted the rest of the period of ownership on the bike 40,000 kays as opposed to more like 10,000 - I got a real good run out of the Clark rubber stuff and ended up using the rest of it on pushbike handlebars, cause I was never going to use it up on the motorbike.  The Clark rubber was much less affected by UV light - the genuine article got crumbly way sooner, and was better when it was really wet the Grabons would fill with water and get squishy and a little slippery the other, not so much.
I'll keep that in mind jstava, like you, I love them, the more I ride with them the more I like them.
I'll keep the Clark Rubber option open depending on how long these last
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  jstava Sat 28 Feb 2015, 2:55 pm

I'll do it again soon to the Bandit, I think  I've got Oxford Heated Grips and the one on the left is starting to fall apart due to having been contaminated by oil, I think. And apparently they don't sell replacement covers.  No the grip is a unit, with the grip including the wire outlet.  

If they go to God, you need to replace the whole thing and they are sold as sets. It shouldn't be hard to get some material from Clark which will fit the bill - it can be obtained in different diameters as I remember.  It was a few years ago now, since I bought the last lot.  This might actually improve the performance of the heaters.  High is too hot for comfort, and even low is quite warm. 

I'm sure I can trim the grip as required up to where I need to preserve the wiring, and silicon a seal where the join is.  the heating element itself appears to be quite well sealed, so I doubt it will matter if the grip itself is porous. I'll need to move on this soon before it wears enough to bare wires.

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Tue 28 Jul 2015, 8:52 pm

The foam from Clarke rubber is no where near as dense as the Grab On Grip covers
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down