Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WTB: 1999 1200 Standard Exhaust (or borrow)

+6
Badger
Greg62
barry_mcki
Chook
Bosco15
Bandit Brad
10 posters

Go down

WTB: 1999 1200 Standard Exhaust (or borrow) Empty WTB: 1999 1200 Standard Exhaust (or borrow)

Post  Bandit Brad Fri 19 Dec 2014, 5:54 pm

Hi all

Need a standard exhaust to get my bike past a Blue Slip.

Anyone got one they want to sell me or I can borrow for a week or 2?

Cheers
Brad

Bandit Brad

Back to top Go down

WTB: 1999 1200 Standard Exhaust (or borrow) Empty Re: WTB: 1999 1200 Standard Exhaust (or borrow)

Post  Bosco15 Sat 20 Dec 2014, 6:01 am

Brad, head to your hardware store and buy some steel wool and pack it into your slip on muffler. That'll make her quiet enough for a Bluey. Then unpack when you get home. Wink

Back to top Go down

WTB: 1999 1200 Standard Exhaust (or borrow) Empty Re: WTB: 1999 1200 Standard Exhaust (or borrow)

Post  Chook Sat 20 Dec 2014, 7:45 am

Bosco15 wrote:Brad, head to your hardware store and buy some steel wool and pack it into your slip on muffler. That'll make her quiet enough for a Bluey. Then unpack when you get home. Wink
 You guys must get it easy over there if that's good enough. Luckily for a lot we don't have annual inspections to worry about, only if Mr Plod thinks it's time for you to have a check up.
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Bandit Brad Sat 20 Dec 2014, 8:08 am

Unfortunately for the Blue Slip they won't except the steel wool. They want to see the Suzuki logo on it and/or a label stating it adheres to the decibel ratings.
Not an issue for the yearly pink slip though.

Bandit Brad

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Sat 20 Dec 2014, 9:30 am

Doesn't sound right (pardon the pun).  ADR83/00 states at Appendix B, Section 6.1.1(b) the db rating is to be shown, however this only applies to petrol vehicles from 1 Jan 2005.

The way I see it, your bike only needs to comply with the ADRs applicable at date of manufacture.  There is no way they can force you to buy original, as you no doubt have found, the OEM part is no longer produced.  

As there was no mention of dB labeling on mufflers in the old ADR39 you should only need to conform to the noise levels as indicated by that ADR.  If this is done in the "pink" stage, then the "blue" people are acting outside there authority and cannot force you to abide by regulations that are not applicable.

Good luck and let us know how you fair.

WTB: 1999 1200 Standard Exhaust (or borrow) Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sat 20 Dec 2014, 10:26 am

barry_mcki wrote:

The way I see it, your bike only needs to comply with the ADRs applicable at date of manufacture.  

As there was no mention of dB labeling on mufflers in the old ADR39 you should only need to conform to the noise levels as indicated by that ADR.  
Correct

Brad, am I correct in thinking that the Pink Slip is done by a Authorised Test Station (local mechanics workshop) and the Blue Slip by the (formerly) RTA inspectors?

If it is the RTA inspectors, they should be far better trained in ADR's and their applicability to different classes of vehicles, age of vehicles etc than the blokes doing a quick tyre kick in their workshop, even if it's not, anyone performing that function should be trained and competent, if not, why are they doing it?
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Bandit Brad Sat 20 Dec 2014, 11:18 am

Pink Slip and Blue Slip are both done by Mechanics workshops, however, they are a seperate ticket.
Blue Slip inspectors there are far less and they are far more pedantic because the RTA audit them more often and more strictly from what I have seen. Most of the Blue Slip inspectors haven't even looked at it but when I've rang to book it in have asked if it had a sports pipe and told me it would fail if it did so. No ifs, no buts just a straight out fail.......
Next option is to get it registered out of state.
A couple of other options but have to wait until they reopen in the new year.

Bandit Brad

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sat 20 Dec 2014, 11:24 am

Contact the Roads and Marine Services (formerly RTA) and speak to one of their auditors or inspectors, ask the policy on complying with ADRs. 

I'm 110% sure Barry is correct, you only have to comply with the ADR's applicable at the time of manufacture. (there are 1 or 2 exceptions, the one that comes straight to mind is wiring requirements for Road Train trailers, they must all have 6mm2 main wiring loom, nothing relating to bikes though) 

If you get the ok from the Transport Authority you should be ok so long as it doesn't exceed the dB limit
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Sat 20 Dec 2014, 12:42 pm

What everyone else said! 
If your blue slip mechanic is that much of a cock, go to another. You don't have to go out of state. I get blueys regularly, as it's a great bargaining chip when buying used, and never get more than a lights, horn,tyres and compliance plate inspection. 
So if your pipe is relatively quiet, they shouldn't even bat an eyelid. 
Don't stress over it. Just trailer your bike to another guy.

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg62 Mon 22 Dec 2014, 10:51 am

My standard exhaust is sitting in my garage, if you want to borrow it, you can the only drama is that I live in Maitland (Hunter Valley).  

I intend keeping it for the same reason, there is a few Highway patrol officers around here that issue notices so that you have to take your bike to an EPA centre for testing.

Back to top Go down

Post  Bandit Brad Mon 22 Dec 2014, 5:32 pm

Bosco - 5 different Mechanics wouldn't even book it in as their first question was "Does it have an aftermarket exhaust". 2 in town and 3 in Sydney.
One last option in town but he is on holidays until January.

Greg - Thanks but I have got my hands on one from a mate of a mate in Sydney (just need to get down there to pick it up) for $100. Decided I was better just buying one for the same reason - if I have issues down the track with Cops of Pink Slip Nazis I can wave the standard exhaust at them.

Thanks all for your help.

Bandit Brad

Back to top Go down

WTB: 1999 1200 Standard Exhaust (or borrow) Empty WTB: 1999 1200 Standard Exhaust (or borrow)

Post  Badger Thu 25 Dec 2014, 2:52 pm

Hi mate 

I've got a near new standard muffler you can have for a carton of beer.

It's off a 2008 1250 bandit, no longer have the bike, not sure sure if it'll fit the 1200 bandit but I reckon someone on here will know if it does.

I'm in wollongong, If your interested let me know and i'll pm you my details.

Cheers, Greg.
Badger
Badger

Back to top Go down

Post  bikemad Thu 10 Dec 2015, 2:52 pm

I have a std 1200 muffler in the shed I think it cost me $ 20 from the local dump shop its in good nick and your looking at freight from QLD god knows why I bought it but i'm now getting help with these problems I have - $ 20 plus freight

bikemad

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Thu 10 Dec 2015, 7:42 pm

bikemad wrote:I have a std 1200 muffler in the shed I think it cost me $ 20 from the local dump shop its in good nick and your looking at freight from QLD god knows why I bought it but i'm now getting help with these problems I have - $ 20 plus freight

Where abouts are you in QLD mate..i`m keen!!

What year is it from, ally or stainless?
I`m after another ally.
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  bikemad Thu 10 Dec 2015, 8:28 pm

she's a all stainless job and has 1200 Suzuki written on it and some other crap like all the legal stuff and I'm in Gympie might be down Newcastle over the break if your interested ?

bikemad

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Thu 10 Dec 2015, 8:46 pm

bikemad wrote:she's a all stainless job and has 1200 Suzuki written on it and some other crap like all the legal stuff and I'm in Gympie might be down Newcastle over the break if your interested ?

I`ll be hovering between Gladstone and Briz.

I`ll have a think. I`m really after ally.
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  #Tag Thu 10 Dec 2015, 10:47 pm

I had mine blue slipped 3 years ago and it went the same way. When I went book it in he had only one question - Does it have the standard exhaust on it? I replied it will have when I bring it in. No problem then, he said, I'll book it in.
#Tag
#Tag

Back to top Go down

Post  bikemad Thu 10 Dec 2015, 11:08 pm

No probs Wednesday is bin day cheers

bikemad

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Sat 12 Dec 2015, 9:51 pm

hang on mate, before you dump it, I`ll grab it.

I really need a tig for the mods I want to do for this stainless jobbie,but I`ll see what I can do to it

So some time around xmas I`ll grab it from you?
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  jstava Sun 13 Dec 2015, 10:07 am

Bosco15 wrote:What everyone else said! 
If your blue slip mechanic is that much of a cock, go to another. You don't have to go out of state. I get blueys regularly, as it's a great bargaining chip when buying used, and never get more than a lights, horn,tyres and compliance plate inspection. 
So if your pipe is relatively quiet, they shouldn't even bat an eyelid. 
Don't stress over it. Just trailer your bike to another guy.

I've never really had a problem.  Even with aftermarket exhaust.   e.g.. Staintune pipe and muffler on the SRX.  So far as the tester up the road is concerned, the pipe and muffler have been manufactured to a standard, are not modified and are appropriate for the bike.  He did look to make sure that it was a Staintune muffler (known and reputable brand, and stamped ) and that the baffle was in. I was surprised.  I do have the original, but was reluctant to fit it. (we didn't discuss it). 

He explained the Blue slip process to me when I commented, "it seems less rigorous than an ordinary pink slip check." He agreed.  A Blue slip is a verification that the vehicle complies with the ADR only. There is an assumption with the Blue slip that the equipment fitted actually works.  It is not really a roadworthiness check, and the logic of this evades both of us,  as a blue slip is what is needed for initial rego or re-registration of a vehicle off the road for a long time (as this was)  The ADR does not specify WHICH muffler must be fitted,  only that one must be fitted, and as the bike had previously been registered with that muffler on it, so far as he was concerned, It was OK, (and would be at he next roadworthy) and that he would (and he does) look hard at the bike at the next roadworthy, "anyway, you have to ride it."  

As for how loud?  As he explained it, it was not even necessary for him to check that. (he is a motorcyclist and has some knowledge of who is selling non-compliant exhausts, and there are a few)  It is possible for someone to trailer a vehicle to him, and trailer it away, without it even being started, and he could fulfil the ADR requirements and issue a Blue slip if the vehicle had the required equipment. With older bikes, the noise standard was either non-existent or slacker than it is today.  So far as he was concerned, if someone came in with an old bike, the law on the side of the road or the next roadworthiness inspection would determine whether the bike was fitted with an "effective muffler".  His job was, as he saw it to determine whether the bike complied with the standards for motorcycles which applied at the time of manufacture, and carried sufficient equipment to be registered at all.  (lights, horn, chain guards, mudguards, mirrors etc.) Of course this depends on the type of rego being sought, and he would be looking at a 1927 Henderson with a completely different set of eyes, than my 1986 SRX and different again if someone brought in a newly constructed ground - up custom where engineering certificates might need to be produced.  

These guys are subject to audit, do take their jobs seriously, and where someone has a late model bike for which the original exhaust is available, one cannot blame them for taking a conservative approach to what they see as compliant, where new stock parts are available.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum