Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Head Scratcher.

+3
madmax
Dekenai
Hammy
7 posters

Go down

A Head Scratcher.  Empty A Head Scratcher.

Post  Hammy Mon 05 May 2014, 7:36 am

scratch As I reported a couple of weeks ago, I got a small speeding ticket. Well.  I went online to pay it and came across something interesting. The ticket is for "speed  13-20 over". Penalty $225  + 3 points. My mate John also got a ticket for the same offence that day and his was $220 + 3 points.  On the online payment site, after I filled in the first couple of pages the amount to pay came up as $220. You see where I'm going here ?
My ticket has been filled out incorrectly. Clearly  stating $225 on the ticket, when in fact it should be only $220.  Do I have a case ?  Would iy get overturned in a court, or would they  just think I am being a smart arse and fine me a bit more for wasting their time.   Any thoughts.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

A Head Scratcher.  Empty Re: A Head Scratcher.

Post  Dekenai Mon 05 May 2014, 7:47 am

You'd have nothing to loose; worst case would be that you will hang on to your $220 a bit longer.
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Mon 05 May 2014, 8:36 am

I guess it depends on the state. You wouldn't get away with it in Vic or WA.

Many years ago my mum got a ticket and the even got the car brand wrong and the ticket still stood.

But hey worth a try

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Mon 05 May 2014, 8:39 am

The issue I see is that your demerit points begin from the moment you pay your fine and last three years.

If your point accumulation can tolerate this then all is good.

It is too easy to get a six point penalty during school holidays etc. I also understand that speed cameras are being set up inside 40Km road works which also makes me a little nervous.

I personally pay my fines immediately to avoid any dramas in the future.

BTW I wonder how much time we spend scanning for speed cameras rather than concentrating on road safety. I know I have become more than a little paranoid these days.

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Mon 05 May 2014, 8:46 am

I'm not so much worried about the money. It's the 3 points. But I have my full quota ( at the moment) .  I will probably just pay it.  While I'm on the subject. I was thinking one day about "School Zones".  How would you know what time it is if you do not wear a watch, and your car or bike does not have a clock ?    Any sharp lawyers out there ?
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 05 May 2014, 8:53 am

Personally ,id pay the fine ( if guilty ) and think of all the time's you didn't get caught .  Very Happy
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Mon 05 May 2014, 9:15 am

gus wrote:Personally ,id pay the fine ( if guilty ) and think of all the time's you didn't get caught .  Very Happy

That's too much thinking Gus.  Very Happy
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Mon 05 May 2014, 9:15 am

Any minor issues with the ticket can be ammended in court by the stroke of a pen, there is no 100% pass mark for Ticket Writting.  

As for School Zones, I personally like the ACT system, from 8 to 4 its the lower speed limit all the time.  Trouble is, if the school does not cover the sign during holidays, you can still get fined for going over the limit even though there is no one at the school.

And one more thing about speed zones, particularly construction areas, the speed limit is not returned until you go pass another speed limit sign, the End of Road Works does not count, you can still be fined for speeding if there is no accompaning speed limit sign.  

I for one think that the inforcement of construction zone limits is a good thing.  It was once shown on TV that getting hit by a car at 60kph is worse than falling of a 10 story building, now imaging if you had to work all day a couple of feet away from that 10 story edge with little or no protection.  Then add bad weather, night and/or fog into the mix, Gus you are a braver man than me.

Last edited by barry_mcki on Mon 05 May 2014, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

A Head Scratcher.  Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Mon 05 May 2014, 10:46 am

I firmly believe the average motorist wants to do the right thing around roadworks.
But what really gets up my goat is when you see a kilometre or more of roadwork speed zone and they are only working on 200m of road!

And when they are finished the speed signs stay there for months

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 05 May 2014, 1:54 pm

It would still be a valid ticket here in Vic.  What a Face 
All a magistrate would do would be to amend the ticket to the correct amount and possibly award court costs against you for quivelling over 5 bucks.
The only way you’d get out of it is if the ticket was written for the wrong legislation or the AO wasn’t authorised to write the tickets under the nominated legislation but trust me all coppers are AO for the road traffic act.

You would hang onto your money and 3 points a bit longer though. I’ve been  let off at +99  Embarassed  So I’d be paying it and chalking it up to being unlucky.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum