Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back to the future - BMW 'urban' gloves

5 posters

Go down

Back to the future - BMW 'urban' gloves Empty Back to the future - BMW 'urban' gloves

Post  TropoBone Tue 21 Jan 2014, 1:21 am

Used to be, back in the 1980's, all quality motorcycle clothing was leather.
Gloves, boots, jackets, pants ..... leather.
Thought I had become a twenty-first century rider, accepting the textile jackets with armour, artificial leather boots, kevlar jeans, spandex backed gloves etc.
Then, while doing some man-style retail therapy today in what I reckon is Darwin's most helpful motorcycle shop, they tell me they have a 20% sale on BMW branded gloves at the moment.
Tried the lot, found a very nice all leather summer glove.
Back to the future - BMW 'urban' gloves BMW-Motorrad-Ride-urban-gloves-02
http://showroom.bmw-motorrad.com/Handschuhe/Handschuhe-Urban-psc-200001350-NregMkqlzXIAAAE0t9JtTecS-UXCOM-WFS-en_US-EUR.html.
I don't know about you guys but I've found it hard to find a pair of gloves I like to wear, rather than ought to wear.
When I got back into riding about 4 years ago, I bought a pair of "5" racing gloves. Good protection but not always comfortable, and difficult to put on and take off. 
A couple of times I couldn't be bothered to put them on for short rides, too much trouble.
So I tried a pair of Fox synthetic off road gloves recommended by a couple of Alice Springs riders for hot weather. Easy to pull on and off, but ride in the rain and the rain stings through the soft upper fabric (Awww, poor Tropobone!)
But these 100% leather BMW gloves are a blast from the past. Well made, a nice soft goatskin leather, nice to wear, easy to pull on and off.
The BMW (Bring My Wallet?) logo is very unobtrusive.
And they look the goods I reckon.
I paid the man at Cyclone Motorcycles $90 for them and I'm very happy.

Staintune pipe. 
Michelin Pilot 2 front and rear
Ventura rack and bag, Kappa K33N panniers.
Racetech gold valves and fork springs.
TropoBone
TropoBone

Back to top Go down

Back to the future - BMW 'urban' gloves Empty Re: Back to the future - BMW 'urban' gloves

Post  Bosco15 Tue 21 Jan 2014, 6:30 am

Nice one, Tropobone. 
I prefer leather as my riding protection.  I believe that it probably provides the best protection and when nicely broken in, is very comfortable.  
Longevity is another factor.  I got 27 years out of my last leather jacket and pants. A couple of minor offs and thousands of km of bugs and the only thing that prompted replacement was my waistline.  Incredible value, really,  to say that I paid $180 for the jacket new and $70 for pants second hand. That's a whopping $5.66 & $2.66 a year respectively.  
Naturally,  gloves don't seem to last quite so long,  but I still prefer leather over synthetic.

Back to top Go down

Back to the future - BMW 'urban' gloves Empty Re: Back to the future - BMW 'urban' gloves

Post  Ewok1958 Tue 21 Jan 2014, 6:52 am

$90 doesn't seem too bad. I'm a big fan of the Dririder mesh summer gloves for the hotter months but winter is another story. Not too bad here on the coast but the overnight minus temps in Canberra were a problem. I had a bit of the same problem with the winter "5" gloves - a bit bulky to feel that I had proper control. There was a story amongst our group that if you wanted decent winder gloves, you needed to buy the BMW ones. I never did so I don't know if they were leather (but I don't think so).

Good luck with your new ones.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Tue 21 Jan 2014, 7:45 am

So how do they go in the heat? Nothing worse than hot sticky hands and you can't pull your gloves off.

I had for the past 4 years a pair of Rjays bandit gloves. Perforated leather with armour and vents. They are a summer glove, easy to put on and off. The knuckle vents keep your hands cool even on a hot day.
The only problem they've got is they have discoloured from the sun.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  NTBill Tue 21 Jan 2014, 11:08 pm

I agree TB, real friendly bunch in there. The Bavarian gloves sound like a good buy.
I recently picked up some vented Motodry sprints from them for $45. They're nice and supple and cool to wear, work well for me. http://www.brookys.com.au/product_MOTODRY_SPRINT_VENTED_Mens_Gloves_Black.html

Since I farked up my shoulder with my dopey drop 3 weeks ago, I've only managed to get back on the bike today (but I need another week before commuting again I reckon).  Went to get the gloves and they were covered in that lovely green patina of mould that us Darwinites get so used to in the Monsoon up here.... No

Back to top Go down

Post  TropoBone Sat 25 Jan 2014, 2:50 am

madmax wrote:So how do they go in the heat? Nothing worse than hot sticky hands and you can't pull your gloves off.
So far, so good, but as NTBill will testify, it hasn't been as hot as normal up here the last week so, 28C to 30C under the clouds and the rain.
I will keep you posted.

Staintune pipe. 
TropoBone
TropoBone

Back to top Go down

Post  TropoBone Sat 01 Mar 2014, 12:09 pm

madmax wrote:So how do they go in the heat? Nothing worse than hot sticky hands and you can't pull your gloves off.
One month since purchase and very happy.
We've had the lot, 34ºC and high humidity, 28ºC and monsoon rain.
Very comfortable.
Only gripe I have is the tags are about 1" square and hang out under your wrists if you do not tuck them in - took them off with the scissors and all good now.
Look good too.

Staintune pipe. 
TropoBone
TropoBone

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum