Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tassie Ride - March 2011

+3
Baz
stretch
Admin
7 posters

Go down

Tassie Ride - March 2011 Empty Tassie Ride - March 2011

Post  Admin Tue 25 May 2010, 8:19 pm

Original post my Banditman:

Hi Guys
I'm lookin at tassie in march 2011 for 12 days: Adel to melb, (2 days) overnight on boat, then 8 days in tassie. Back overnight on boat then two days melb to Adel. Any Takers??

I organise Dirt bike trips each year in outback SA (Flinders ranges, Arkaroola, Gawler ranges) for mates (last year we had 27 guys) so the Tassie scenario should not be too hard. I guess the main challenge will be total numbers. The more the merrier but it increases the logistic issues such as suitable accomodation, keeping track of each other etc. I'm actually a Paramedic so we got the first aid nailed!!
I'm just starting to scope out the tassie side of stuff but I would welcome any advice or support from others.

regards

Banditman

Last edited by Admin on Wed 26 May 2010, 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Topic Moved)

Admin
Admin

https://nswbandits.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Tassie Ride - March 2011 Empty Re: Tassie Ride - March 2011

Post  stretch Wed 26 May 2010, 9:28 am

Been thinking about another Tassie trip for a while. Last time was around 15 years ago on a FJ1200.
Im intersted Very Happy Cool

stretch

Back to top Go down

Post  Baz Wed 26 May 2010, 6:15 pm

me too me too me too.
any dates in March would be good for me.
Those roads are just begging for a Bandit or better a group of Bandits. pirat pirat drunken

Kawa GPZ900R
Hyo GV650 Aquila
GSF1250SA Bandit
GSX1250FA
currently BMW R1200RT
Baz
Baz

Back to top Go down

Post  Cameron Wed 26 May 2010, 7:51 pm

Im very keen for this ride...Only a few questions.

Firsty i have an annual snowy ride every march, so i would have to check dates.

Secondly...im a little worried about how they transport the bikes. Ive heard off people in the past that they secure the bikes via staps over the bike....not a problem. But im also told they are strapped down very tight, putting maximum force on the forks. Being held down this way for such a long time, not so sure its good for the bike.
I know if you get a bike transported to New Zealand, they hold the bike down via the wheels, therefore no stress is put on the forks and fork seals.

But it sounds like an awsome ride which im very keen on.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Wed 26 May 2010, 8:12 pm

Cameron wrote:Im very keen for this ride...Only a few questions......im a little worried about how they transport the bikes. Ive heard off people in the past that they secure the bikes via staps over the bike....not a problem. But im also told they are strapped down very tight, putting maximum force on the forks. Being held down this way for such a long time, not so sure its good for the bike.
I know if you get a bike transported to New Zealand, they hold the bike down via the wheels, therefore no stress is put on the forks and fork seals.....

Hi Cameron,

Not sure if this would help ease your concern or if the "Sprit" would actually allow it to be used on the Boat in place of their "normal" straps. I'm getting a set of soft straps from KYA. They have a video on their site with a shot of the bike trailer at 90 degrees and the bikes are still locked in place.

Tassie Ride - March 2011 Img_6610

Barry
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  Baz Wed 26 May 2010, 9:20 pm

They strap down almost immediately when you dismount, so you are there when they do it.
I sent them an email enquiry and we'll see what they say.

A whole bunch of motorcyclists are considering a Tasmania trip in March 2011. We have heard rumours that in strapping down the bikes by the handle bars for a long period of time can cause damage to front suspension forks and this would be of great concern to us.
Are we able to strap down only by strapping the wheels to the deck and keeping the bike in 1st gear ?
and if so, are we able to provide our own straps ?

Kawa GPZ900R
Hyo GV650 Aquila
GSF1250SA Bandit
GSX1250FA
currently BMW R1200RT
Baz
Baz

Back to top Go down

Post  Cameron Thu 27 May 2010, 12:23 pm

Good job Baz. Ill be interested to hear the response

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Baz Thu 27 May 2010, 5:14 pm

No real response as yet, they have forwarded it to the bike strappers I suspect, will let you know when I get that response .. meanwhile;

Dear Barry
Thank you for your recent email.
Your email has been forwarded to the appropriate Department who will correspond directly with you within 5 working days.
Please do not hesitate in contacting our office on 132010 or by email if further assistance is required..
Kind Regards,
Cheryl

Kawa GPZ900R
Hyo GV650 Aquila
GSF1250SA Bandit
GSX1250FA
currently BMW R1200RT
Baz
Baz

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Wed 02 Jun 2010, 6:36 am

I asked the manufacturers of the Tyre Down if they had ever contacted SOT about using their straps as we were talking about this on the Forum, this was their response:

Thanks Barry. Your strap will arrive this week. We have discussed our product with SOT ferry however they tend to get alot of touring bikes with panniers etc that mean our system doesn't fit unfortunately.

Thanks for the free advertising as well!

Cheers

Rob Purcell
Director
KYA Racing Pty Ltd
www.kyaracing.com.au

Not having panniers the Tyre Down system fits my Bandit, however as Rob mentions the usual arrangement for touring is to have the saddle bags and supposedly these will interfere.....hmm I think it would still work if the cases do not go too low....

Tassie Ride - March 2011 85251010
Tassie Ride - March 2011 Instal10
Tassie Ride - March 2011 1_oclo10
Tassie Ride - March 2011 11_ocl10

I suppose when they have that much work to tie everything down in the small amount of time, the SOT staff can't be changing systems dependent on the bike style.

Anyway, depending on the better-halves medical condition we might be coming down as well, just have to see how her back heals between now and then.

Cheers

Barry
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  Baz Thu 03 Jun 2010, 5:44 pm

I got a reply from SOT, and well you can see what they say. I still want to go though. I might see how much it would be to ship the bike through a professional bike mover.

Dear Mr Baz,
Thank you for your query regarding motorbike lashings aboard Spirit of Tasmania.
In response to your query, most motorbikes are secured aboard using the handle bars. However, this depends on the particular motorbike in question. Ship staff will always endeavour to reduce passengers’ concerns.
The Chief Officer from one of our vessels estimates that the amount of compression the forks experience is similar to that of a 80-100 kilogram person sitting on the bike. He further estimates that the total voyage would have similar effects to a ride on average to poor roads for the same time period.
It is considered by Ships’ crew that lashing through the wheels would be inadequate as there would not be sufficient lead for lashing and/or there would be insufficient force to secure the bike.
Our current practise of strapping motorbikes utilising the handlebars has seen 0 damage claims since the replacement of strapping through the spokes about 2 years ago.
In relation to supplying your own lashings, you are free to do so. However; you will need to secure the bike yourself, which will waiver your rights to submit a damage claim if your bike was damaged during the voyage. In this case, TT Line will not take any responsibility if the bike falls, receives damage or causes damage to a third party vehicle/equipment.
I trust this response has answered your questions.
Regards
The team at Spirit of Tasmania
Reservations
TT-Line Company Pty Ltd
The Esplanade, East Devonport, TAS, 7310
P.O. Box 168E, East Devonport, TAS, 7310
Email: reservations@spiritoftasmania.com.au
Phone: 132010 Fax: 1800636110

Kawa GPZ900R
Hyo GV650 Aquila
GSF1250SA Bandit
GSX1250FA
currently BMW R1200RT
Baz
Baz

Back to top Go down

Post  1836 Fri 04 Jun 2010, 9:16 pm

When I done an English Channel crossing with the bike, they put a wide ratchet strap with a large 'cushion' over the seat and strapped it down....easy. It was amazing how secure it felt, I was a sceptic, so on the bars seems logical enough. I would have no problems, they will allow the owner to be there while its strapped in. The other interesting part of the letter was they will take no responsibility if things go all pear shaped with your own straps.

So just going back to the idea of Tassie, any dates been suggested yet? For me it has to be school holidays (work at a school), also of those thinking of going, who might be taking a pillion (wife, mistress or otherwise)? Or is it planned to be an escape from all that sort of thing Question . Reason for the last question, my 13 year old daughter was asking. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  Mars Thu 06 Jan 2011, 8:42 pm

Has the March 2011 Tassie trip still got momentum or is it dead in the water?
Mars
Mars

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down