Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much should you expect to pay for a major service?

+4
Kaupy1962
paul
Ewok1958
Bhoffo
8 posters

Go down

How much should you expect to pay  for a major service? Empty How much should you expect to pay for a major service?

Post  Bhoffo Fri 12 Apr 2013, 8:07 pm

Just organised to get a 'major' service done on the 1250 at 49,000k's. Asked for a rough idea of how much it was going to cost me and was told around $650 - $680... Shocked (I nearly dropped the phone!)

So has anyone else had experience with a major service of around the same number of K's?? Question How much did you pay and is this a reasonable amount?? Question

Back to top Go down

How much should you expect to pay  for a major service? Empty Re: How much should you expect to pay for a major service?

Post  Ewok1958 Fri 12 Apr 2013, 8:30 pm

I'd have to drag out the receipts to be sure but I think you're looking at athe valve clearance/adjustment service. I paid less than that when they did my 24,000kms service (low $500's, inluding valve clearance check - not adjusted) and it included a throttle body balance in that price. They shouldn't need to be replacing the plugs at 48,000kms but at that price they should be doing:
- oil & oli filter
- air filter
- plugs
- valve clearance
- throttle body balance
- spit polish!

And a full check of other wear and tear items, eg brakes, chain and sprockets.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

How much should you expect to pay  for a major service? Empty Re: How much should you expect to pay for a major service?

Post  paul Fri 12 Apr 2013, 9:27 pm

You could save some money & do most of the easy stuff yourself & if your not confident to tackle it yourself , just get them to do the valves & anything else you don't want to touch.( head-stem bearing check etc.) Very Happy

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaupy1962 Mon 15 Apr 2013, 11:21 pm

Bhoffo wrote:Just organised to get a 'major' service done on the 1250 at 49,000k's. Asked for a rough idea of how much it was going to cost me and was told around $650 - $680... Shocked (I nearly dropped the phone!)

So has anyone else had experience with a major service of around the same number of K's?? Question How much did you pay and is this a reasonable amount?? Question

That's a rip off!
Kaupy1962
Kaupy1962

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 16 Apr 2013, 5:18 am

Carton of beer to a mate who knows what he is doing if your not confident .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  murmar Tue 16 Apr 2013, 8:46 am

Valve adjustment on the 1250s requires removal of cams, not just easy screw and locknut so there's a bit of time there. The rest is all easy though.
murmar
murmar

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Tue 16 Apr 2013, 11:25 am

Major service including valve adjustment check I'd expect to pay about $700 (in fact that's about what I paid). For the record the valves didn't need adjusting, which was as the mechanic suspected. The only reason he checked them was because he already had the top off replace the rocker cover gasket.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Sloth_27 Tue 16 Apr 2013, 5:46 pm

The valves never need adjusting but that is what gets checked at that service. It is reasonably involved so there is a few hours labour.

So the price could be including oil, oil filter, air filter, plugs plus half a days labour (not that it will necessarily take that long but you get billed on the hours the manufacturer specifies) and you end up with around $550+.

I prefer to do mine at home but it depends on how confident you are with that sort of thing.

Servicing seems expensive sometimes, but it is about the same cost per km as petrol.
Sloth_27
Sloth_27

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down