Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tire size question

+5
barry_mcki
gus
paul
reddog
the bandit
9 posters

Go down

tire size question Empty tire size question

Post  the bandit Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:10 am

Hello People would like to ask about tire sizes probably has been asked before but I am looking to go with a wider size rear firstly can I and what size? as I am terrible with aspect ratios and tire sizing in general and two what would be the effects of doing so?

Thanks in advance for any replies
The Bandit in Canada

Back to top Go down

tire size question Empty Re: tire size question

Post  reddog Mon 28 Jan 2013, 6:24 pm

Whats wrong with the 180 rear? You could go to a 190 but seriously the 180 is plenty wide enough and offers shit loads of traction as is.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Mon 28 Jan 2013, 6:25 pm

+1 Very Happy

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 28 Jan 2013, 6:52 pm

I have an Aprilia which comes standard with a 190 rear .When it wears out 95% of people

(includind me ) fit a 180 to make it turn better . Bigger isnts always better .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Mon 28 Jan 2013, 8:50 pm

Can't see it being of much help in your quest but I've got a 205/45ZR17, however mine is a little different than the average bike with a third wheel hagning out on the left Cool.

Some of our yankie cousins put these on their standard street bikes and swear there is no difference in handling scratch. Not sure about leaning a bike over in a tight corner with so little meat on the road, at least with my setup the rig stays square with the road so I have full contact. Interestingly this car tire fits perfectly on the rear rim.

tire size question Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  aussie Mon 28 Jan 2013, 10:46 pm

Normally I fit sports touring tyres which are black, round and standard size and generally I have not noticed much difference in handling or grip. -At my last tyre change the tyre fitter suggested a change- I was outside having a cigarette and agreed without taking much notice of what he was saying. It was only after he had fitted the wheels that I took any interest. My first reaction was, there is no tread on the rear and it is bloody tall. He had fitted a 180/60 Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa If you look at the profile of a standard 180/55 tyre it is arc shaped this 180/60 is semi-circular in comparison.

Comments:
It has raised the rear of the bike. Not sure of the increase but I can only have 10 mm clearance between tyre and ground with the bike on the centre stand.
The steering has been transformed - drops into corners easier, changes direction with less effort and does not stand up under braking when cornering. If it had neutral steering before then now it over steers.
I had it over Mt Glorious on Saturday, very wet, slippery and windy, and I did not have any moments so wet grip appears to be ok. The lack of tread had me concerned.
As for wear - I have about 1000Km +on it and there is no clear sign of wear. However, due to the lack of tread I don't know how you can judge when it is shot - appeared shot from new.

aussie

Back to top Go down

Post  the bandit Mon 28 Jan 2013, 11:18 pm

thanks for the replies as far as why change tire size.....because I have a friend who is offering me his used tires free Surprised which he took off to put on slicks for the track.they are 190 and off a gxsr 1000 so don't think I will have fitting issues.As far as the difference in handling he told me the same as Aussie mentioned changing the geometry should make the lean in quicker and corner adjustments easier with less effort as the Bandit being a heavy bike can only help when carving in the canyons so come spring here I will post up my thoughts.Although that may be a while as we got dumped with snow and now freezing rain this morn and looks like no end all this after -30 celcius last week pale pale pale

Back to top Go down

Post  the bandit Mon 28 Jan 2013, 11:32 pm

BTW Aussie you noticed the semi circle rounder shape I find tire brands have very different profiles michelin higher apex... dunlop q2's rounder profile so sometimes it depends on the brand and your pirelli diablo supercorsa is a great tire not much tread pattern as they are geared towards the spirited riding although not sure about the durability.I love the Dunlop Q2's nice contact patch in the corners and last a while although I went through two sets in one summer maybe cause of my rubber wrist Wink Wink

Back to top Go down

tire size question Empty tyre size

Post  trip01 Fri 15 Mar 2013, 8:43 pm

The Bandit,

I was interested - did the 190 tyre fit ok. Handling ?

I am looking at a Michelin Pilot Road 3 190/55 ZR 17 (75w) TL.

The only difference I can see is the speed rating of the 180/55 (73w). The 190 (75w).

2011 GSF1250 naked, gleam grey, no ABS, Ventura rack & 47L Mistral bag, Rad guard, HID headlight, Yoshi R77 CF, K&N air filter.
Opportunities arise in disguise as problems
Arrow see them when you look around the rock
trip01
trip01

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sat 16 Mar 2013, 4:18 pm

crimsondawn wrote:Don't forget what that will do to your speedo.
It should reduce some of the error assuming standard gearing.
It won't be enough to under read.
The B1250 has the least accurate speed guessing device I have ever looked at.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Sat 16 Mar 2013, 5:23 pm

Mine was 7% and a Speedohealer has sorted that
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  trip01 Sat 30 Mar 2013, 8:14 am

Tks for yr replies.

The 190 would give 5mm extra width either side. My concern would be that it clears the chain guard. Although I can modify.

And the greater diameter is a good thing, re speedo error.Razz

2011 GSF1250 naked, gleam grey, no ABS, Ventura rack & 47L Mistral bag, Rad guard, HID headlight, Yoshi R77 CF, K&N air filter.
Opportunities arise in disguise as problems
Arrow see them when you look around the rock
trip01
trip01

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down