Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1250 24k service

+11
Sloth_27
b12mick
ThatOtherGuy
dhula
Four40
Ewok1958
Kaupy1962
reddog
Thof
paul
Bandit Gazza
15 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

1250 24k service  - Page 3 Empty 1250 24k service

Post  Bandit Gazza Mon 17 Dec 2012, 7:04 pm

First topic message reminder :

Can anyone who has had or knows whats involved in a 24k service let me know whats involved , I have been quoted $750 for a 24k service on my 1250fa , seems a little steep to me , I know they check the valve clearance but what else ?

Bandit Gazza

Back to top Go down

1250 24k service  - Page 3 Empty Re: 1250 24k service

Post  b12mick Fri 28 Dec 2012, 8:42 am

dhula wrote:

Home servicing -v- warranty has been discussed many times and I reckon it will continue to be for a long time.

If you service the bike by following the instructions given in the user manual, at the specified interval shown in the servicing schedule, use specified fluids, parts (I tend to use OEM during the warranty period, makes it easier to back up statements of proper servicing) , etc and keep receipts of those parts (I tend to staple them to the corresponding page after writing date and kms on the receipt) ) and mark your book appropriately with date and kms and a signiture then so long as you are not proven to be the one that made it break, the warranty should be honored.
I will point out that if your servicing schedule says 6000kms or 6 months, you should service the bike at the 6 month interval even if you've done 10kms in that time or the OEM has every reason to deny any claim you make (not saying they will, but they can) as you've not followed the servicing schedule.

In the end it is up to the owner whether to service at home,pay an dealer, pay a bike shop, pay a mechanic, etc to do the work for them. What ever gives you a warm and fuzzy about caring for your bike is what is important.
Sure, I'll encourage anybody who will listen to service their bike (or car) themselves, I've even offered to help out people in the past, but in the end it's up to them.
The argument about voiding warranty by doing it at home should not be the main driver in that decision tho IMHO.

Depends whether the perceived protection of a warranty is important to you or not.

I agree with you for the most part. Sure do the work yourself, but be fully aware. Read the warranty agreement.

I have heard of owners who became very distraught and threaten legal action (my wife has worked in both bike and car dealerships and it can get messy) only to be basically told by their solicitor to pull their head in when their warranty claim was knocked back because the service/repair was not done by a qualified mechanic. All I'm saying is be aware that if you do the work yourself be prepared to have a fight with the manufacturer, and be prepared to loose.

If you do the work yourself the best bet is to find a 'friendly' mechanic who is happy to stamp the paper work. I have known some who will do this if you basically buy everything of them and use them for major work that you can't do yourself.

But as you say, it's up to the owner. Me, personally, I will only do basic things like chain adjustments, oil changes, globe replacement etc. Anything else and it goes to a mechanic. The reason for me is that if I fuck it up, it's my problem, if a mechanic fucks it up it's his problem.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3