Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front tyre - WTF

+4
barry_mcki
gus
mtbeerwah
Vellies
8 posters

Go down

Front tyre - WTF Empty Front tyre - WTF

Post  Vellies Fri 14 Sep 2012, 8:03 am

Front tyre has a strange bulge / ridge in it just off centre, hard to describe, almost the opposite of squared off rear, but it does not go all the way round. It only has 2,800km on it. It is the original BT021 (I think) that came with the bike. I have not had any punctures or any other issues. Any ideas what may cause this, should I be worried??

Vellies

Back to top Go down

Front tyre - WTF Empty Re: Front tyre - WTF

Post  mtbeerwah Fri 14 Sep 2012, 9:26 am

is it one side or both?

they haven`t made 21`s in a while,as they`re now on 23`s,so i guess the tyre has some age on it.

the only prob you can usually get with the dual compound is a distinct wear ridge between the two compounds on either side of centre,typically worse on the right side.

is this what your talking about?

if it is,its due to cornering and the soft outter wearing first.

i use these tyre all the time as i do alot of highway,and need a hard centre.

if your a city rider,just get soft and sticky
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Vellies Fri 14 Sep 2012, 10:29 am

Hmm, may be, it is on the right hand side actually.

Vellies

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Fri 14 Sep 2012, 10:34 am

Vellies wrote:Hmm, may be, it is on the right hand side actually.

the right side isn`t due to a fault in the tyre,its to do with AUS roads,and the way we corner
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Fri 14 Sep 2012, 4:53 pm

Get rid of it .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Fri 14 Sep 2012, 8:11 pm

+1, turf it.

Sounds to me like it is delaminating, is that still possible with todays tires ?

Front tyre - WTF Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 14 Sep 2012, 8:36 pm

Give us a look.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Vellies Sat 15 Sep 2012, 1:42 am

Not even sure it is enough to show up on a pic. But it is clear when I get home at night, I suspect it is worse when the tyre is warm.

Will see if I ca get PR3's tomorrow, and will just replace them if possible. I hate doubting tyres, I see it as insurance.

Vellies

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sat 15 Sep 2012, 5:28 pm

Had this happen on a 1st generation PR tire & got the rep out to look at it / he said that the tread pattern ( different to pr2 pattern) wasn't compatible with the pr2 rear on the bandit ???????? but then replaced the tire with a pr2 free of charge which I was rapped in with regards to their after sales service . Can't remember the exact mileage , but it was well below the expected .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Vellies Sat 15 Sep 2012, 7:22 pm

Went to the dealer today and he recons the tyre is just squaring off due to my commuter miles. Will leave it till the 6000km service and see what they look like, not a big fan of the tyres any way, so may replace them with PR3's at next service irrespective of condition.

Vellies

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sat 15 Sep 2012, 8:18 pm

Vellies wrote:Went to the dealer today and he recons the tyre is just squaring off due to my commuter miles. Will leave it till the 6000km service and see what they look like, not a big fan of the tyres any way, so may replace them with PR3's at next service irrespective of condition.

very low mileage to be squaring off that much Shocked

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaupy1962 Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:29 pm

It'll work well as a tree guard.
Kaupy1962
Kaupy1962

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Sun 16 Sep 2012, 7:55 pm

to be honest,a tyre is going to wear how you ride reguardless of brand. If your on the highway the centre gonna wear, if you live in the city,your always cornering and braking,so I would suspect your right side as most tyres wear will go,and you`ll get flaring on the tyre from braking all the time, so pick a tyre to suit the occasion.

I`ve always used the batlax range from super sticky to jack of all,and on the back I use the jack of all being the 023,and I get 18-20k out of them,but by this time the geometry of the tyre is well and truely stuffed,and is scary going around corners,because it gets that ridge,and you fall around the corner. I can`t see to many tryes being any different due to the nature of my life style.

I need hard for highway as i`m always there,but when I get to twisties,I want sticky on the side,so stands to reason the two are going to wear at different rates

Last edited by mtbeerwah on Sun 16 Sep 2012, 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Vellies Sun 16 Sep 2012, 8:37 pm

mtbeerwah wrote:to be honest,a tyre is going to wear how you ride reguardless of brand. If your on the highway the centre gonna wear, if you live in the city,your always cornering and braking,so I would suspect your right side as most tyres wear will go,and you`ll get flaring on the tyre from braking all the time, so pick a tyre to suit the occasion.

I`ve always used the battlax range from super sticky to jack of all,and on the back I use the jack of all being the 023,and I get 18-20k out of them,but by this time the geometry of the tyre is well and truely stuffed,and is scary going around corners,because it gets that ridge,and you fall around the corner. I can`t see to many tryes being any different due to the nature of my life style.

I need hard for highway as i`m always there,but when I get to twisties,I want sticky on the side,so stands to reason the two are going to wear at different rates

Not sure if you have tried Pilot Road 3s. I have had both them and the Batlax tyres, and in my view the PR3's are significantly better, both in terms of wear and being sticky. But we all have our favourites I guess.

Vellies

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Sun 16 Sep 2012, 10:56 pm

haven`t tried them yet,but will do so to have an opinion on them,and will be in 4wks time as i`m due
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Mon 17 Sep 2012, 3:06 pm

Some info here on BT21 wear

clicky

IIRC the front (and I think the rear even) BT21 are not tru duel compound tyres like the BT23, they are more hard compound tyres to resist wear a bit more for those that do high miles.

The BT16 (if you want to stay with Bridgstone) is a duel compound tyre (harder in the middle, softer towards the edges) but perhaps a little soft for getting the high mileage everyone wants in a heavy touring bike. I found the BT16 better than the BT21 (never tried BT23) but YMMV

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down