Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rear Shock Question

+8
NZspokes
paul
mtbeerwah
potatomasher
gus
reddog
rolls
Hammy
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Rear Shock Question - Page 2 Empty Rear Shock Question

Post  Hammy Wed 23 May 2012, 5:58 am

First topic message reminder :

Brains Trust ? I would like to replace my '06 OEM rear shock for something a bit better. I have sourced out an '08 GSXR1000, and an '07 GSXR1300 Hyabusa shock. Both in top condition, and either one for $100 plus shippping. Plus 30 day money back guarantee. My 12 has plenty of room once you remove the box that is there for an ABS unit. So the resevoir on top of these two shocks is not a problem. Any toughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am leaning toward the Busa shock as it may be the firmer. ??
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Rear Shock Question - Page 2 Empty Re: Rear Shock Question

Post  paul Mon 04 Jun 2012, 8:37 pm

Hammy wrote:
paul wrote:Sounds like a good plan/ you can set it up yourself with Jan taking the measurements as well , but peace of mind if the experts do it is good Very Happy

Yes Paul. I figure it should only be an hours labour fee to do it. Jans rates are OUTRAGES ! Wink

Couldn`t you just work it off with Jan Twisted Evil

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Mon 04 Jun 2012, 8:48 pm

Hammy wrote:Recieved the new dogbones today. For starters I thought that they were just the same as the standard ones. A very small difference which gives back the 25mm lost with the GSXR shock. Front forks are booked in for thursday morning. Should be all back together in time for the weekend RAIN that is forecast. Evil or Very Mad

i`ll just miss you by a day,i`m going there on friday to hopefully pick up my new rear,
yeah..i hope the rain holds out too.. fun playing with new toys
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Mon 04 Jun 2012, 9:11 pm

mtbeerwah wrote:
Hammy wrote:Recieved the new dogbones today. For starters I thought that they were just the same as the standard ones. A very small difference which gives back the 25mm lost with the GSXR shock. Front forks are booked in for thursday morning. Should be all back together in time for the weekend RAIN that is forecast. Evil or Very Mad

i`ll just miss you by a day,i`m going there on friday to hopefully pick up my new rear,

After I've finished with him on thursday, he might need to take friday off ! Wink
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Mon 04 Jun 2012, 9:26 pm

Hammy wrote:
mtbeerwah wrote:

After I've finished with him on thursday, he might need to take friday off ! Wink

hope not,gotta trek from gladstone to collect,

be calm with him cyclops
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Rear Shock Question - Page 2 Empty Rear Shock Update

Post  ohmyfj55 Wed 01 Aug 2012, 11:33 pm

Hello All,

Just had a reply from Terry Hay of Shock Treatment regarding the Bandit Suspension with Racetech update question. As well as confirming the move to Racetech springs/Gold valves there was the suggestion of the "Rebound modification" (of which I have pressed for further information). In asking of a suggestion for which route to take regarding the rear shock, as to which aftermarket brand may be most suitable (Ohlins, Holeshot's Cogent for e.g.) he mentioned that the original shock can be modified for a figure of $245.

So just thought it worthwhile to post this and when further info comes through I shall look to pass it on. Should mention that I did ask about the supply of Racetech's 1.1kg/mm springs for the Bandit+88kg rider, to which Terry came back with a suggested .95kg/mm rating. Have since found on a VFR forum (under searching Racetech Springs) that one rider did find the 1.1kg/mm springs quite stiff for his similar weighted bike/rider combo. To this was a suggestion from a fellow post-er that either the .95kg or even .85kg may be suitable so will give the .95kg/mm a go.

Till next one,
Nathan
ohmyfj55
ohmyfj55

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Thu 02 Aug 2012, 7:13 am

I got the 1.1 springs at a great price from a fellow member here. The fitter did mention that he would have recommended 1.o, so I'm guessing that may be why he used 5wt oil. ?? I am very happy with the ride. The front feels well planted. Good luck.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes Thu 02 Aug 2012, 3:53 pm

Where do you guys get the springs from?
NZspokes
NZspokes

Back to top Go down

Post  ohmyfj55 Thu 02 Aug 2012, 10:08 pm

Hi NZspokes,

You should be able to get the Racetech Springs through Shock Treatment. Just tried a google search for Racetech Australia and it showed either eBay listings or Shock Treatment as the first suggestions.

Regards,
Nathan
ohmyfj55
ohmyfj55

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes Fri 03 Aug 2012, 5:53 pm

ohmyfj55 wrote:Hi NZspokes,

You should be able to get the Racetech Springs through Shock Treatment. Just tried a google search for Racetech Australia and it showed either eBay listings or Shock Treatment as the first suggestions.

Regards,
Nathan

Are they specific bandit ones?
NZspokes
NZspokes

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sat 04 Aug 2012, 9:38 am

NZspokes wrote:
ohmyfj55 wrote:Hi NZspokes,

Regards,
Nathan

Are they specific bandit ones?

YES.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  jaba01 Sat 04 Aug 2012, 9:04 pm

I am running 1.1 springs in my GSX FA & 10w oil. It is firm but not overly hard. Great on track surfaces & not too bad over crappy road surfaces.
I would go lighter if you wanted a softer ride though.
jaba01
jaba01

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurch Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:29 am

Sorry for dragging up an old thread; but I did search! Smile

With the GSXR1000 shock in my 1200 (without the raising bones yet) I've found it to be REALLY soft when just sitting there static. And that's with the Preload wound all the way up. And I only weight 75kgs.
I'm judging from this thread that the .95kg spring from RaceTech is the way to go? Is this a job I can do myself?

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Thu 17 Jan 2013, 3:53 pm

It's easy... I followed this guide to recently rebuild a Showa shock on my wifes RM80

http://idriders.com/proflex/files/shock%20service.pdf

Just read the first bit, remove the shock to do the work. Essentially you'll probably need a set of spring compressors so you can copmpress the spring enough to wind off the spring collars and pull the collets out to free the spring from the bottom of the shock. I'd leave all the damping etc alone unless you want to do a full rebuild. Once you have the old spring out just do it all in reverse and away you go
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  BoomGT Sat 19 Jan 2013, 3:57 pm

Lurch I think you will find that 1.0kg and 1.1kg springs as mentioned in previous threads are for forks. A shock spring is much stiffer than fork springs. As an example I weigh 115kgs and fork springs to suit my weight should be 1.0kg/mm to 1.1kg/mm whereas a shock spring is 150N/mm. You can easily compress a fork spring by hand, a shock spring is another matter. Give Terry Hay at shock treatment a call and he will set you on the right path or look up Race Tech site in USA for there spring calculator for info.

regards,

Graham

BoomGT

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurch Sat 19 Jan 2013, 4:15 pm

Yeah, I've out Laurie from Suspension Smith onto the job Smile

Thanks for the tips guys.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content