Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is a good rack for a top box?

+8
paul
Anthony Pearce
Chook
dhula
kewwig
Mpottsy
grahame
Theov39
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What is a good rack for a top box? Empty What is a good rack for a top box?

Post  Theov39 Fri 10 Feb 2012, 2:04 am

I am getting a top box so I need to fit a rack on my bike.

The prices seem all over the place so not really sure what to buy.

Can you guys suggests some brands and suppliers?

Are they easy to fit?

Previous bikes: Suzuki GSX1400 K7, Suzuki GSX1250FA, Suzuki GSX1100EZ, Suzuki GS650EZ, Suzuki GT185
Theov39
Theov39

Location : Sydney, Australia although up in Lismore a lot too. My profile pic is from 1985 on a GS650E heading up there again.

Back to top Go down

What is a good rack for a top box? Empty Re: What is a good rack for a top box?

Post  grahame Fri 10 Feb 2012, 10:53 am

Gday theov39,i went with the givi system bit expensive but i think worth it being able to lock your helmets up in it .have a 45litre box which i kept off my old zrx
grahame
grahame

Back to top Go down

Post  Theov39 Fri 10 Feb 2012, 1:38 pm

grahame wrote:Gday theov39,i went with the givi system bit expensive but i think worth it being able to lock your helmets up in it .have a 45litre box which i kept off my old zrx

Thanks Grahame. Did you also get a GIVI rack for the top box or do you have another brand rack that you attached the mounting plate to?

Previous bikes: Suzuki GSX1400 K7, Suzuki GSX1250FA, Suzuki GSX1100EZ, Suzuki GS650EZ, Suzuki GT185
Theov39
Theov39

Location : Sydney, Australia although up in Lismore a lot too. My profile pic is from 1985 on a GS650E heading up there again.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mpottsy Fri 10 Feb 2012, 4:23 pm

Theov39 wrote:I am getting a top box so I need to fit a rack on my bike.

The prices seem all over the place so not really sure what to buy.

Can you guys suggests some brands and suppliers?

Are they easy to fit?

I went with a complete GIVI set, yes a bit pricy but in my opinion better than the ventura rack system. Completely lockable and waterproof and has the option of additional brake lights. Admore lighting also sell accessory units which include brakes and indicators for top box and side cases.

The Givi system has a range of boxes to suit you needs and has the racking system

Scorpion Pipe
Givi Set with Admore Lights
Garmin Zumo 660
DW Stage 2 with Secondaryectomy
MRA Vario Screen
Oxford Grips
VCM Seat

HID conversion
Mpottsy
Mpottsy

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Sun 12 Feb 2012, 7:05 pm

Givi. Top rack FZ539 (and M5 Monokey plate for the Givi V46 top box), and Givi PLX539 side racks for the Givi V35 side cases. Givi is waterproof, looks fantastic, can be keyed alike and you can get coloured panels to match the bike. This on on a GSF1250, but will fit the GSX. They come black stock, and in my opinion much nicer than the new GSX stock bags which are Kappa equivalents and plain black without coloured panels

What is a good rack for a top box? Pollyp10

What is a good rack for a top box? Bandit15

What is a good rack for a top box? Bandit17
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Theov39 Sun 12 Feb 2012, 8:57 pm

Kewwig, that's looks great! Where did you get the bags and inserts from?

I can't believe the price of Givi luggage and fittings here in Australia; 50-70% more than US and even EURO prices!

The problem is that many OS suppliers won't ship them OS coz the size. Know any suppliers that do?

I may be getting a Givi Monolock top box soon but I need a Givi M5M Adapter Plate. Anyone have one for sale?

Theov39
Theov39

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Mon 13 Feb 2012, 7:41 pm

Check to see if the plate comes with the box. In most cases if the box is new, the plate comes with it AFAIK

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Mon 13 Feb 2012, 8:21 pm

I bought mine here in NZ through a dealer, so not much use to you.
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Theov39 Mon 13 Feb 2012, 9:29 pm

dhula wrote:Check to see if the plate comes with the box. In most cases if the box is new, the plate comes with it AFAIK

Yes, the Monolock style Givi cases do come with a plate but it's the universal type for mounting on a sports rack. For the Givi brackest you need the M5M plate or the M5 for the MONOKEY type cases. The Universal plate does not fit on directly on the brackets, although someone with a workshop could probably make one up. i don't have the facilities to do that.

Theov39
Theov39

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Tue 28 Feb 2012, 7:48 pm

I dropped my bike in tonight for it's 1st service and to get the luggage I ordered with it fitted (there was a delay in getting the brackets) Im getting GIVI 39L top box with back rest and brake light, and 41L panniers, I liked the 46L top box bust couldn't justify the extra $250 for 7 litres.

I looked at a few options but decided the extra cost of the GIVI stuff was well worth it.

I'm looking forward to lockable waterproof luggage after 21 years of Gearsack bags and soft panniers, especially looking forward to getting rid of the backpack I've been wearing for a month
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Tue 28 Feb 2012, 7:51 pm

kewwig wrote:

What is a good rack for a top box? Pollyp10

That looks nice, makes me sort of wish I got mine colour coded as well, oh well, at least I don't have to worry so much about scratches
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Tue 28 Feb 2012, 7:51 pm

I use my bike daily and the top box is brilliant. I wouldn't be without it
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Tue 28 Feb 2012, 7:53 pm

Mine's a daily ride, the tiop box will stay on all the time, I'll only put the panniers on when I need them
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Tue 28 Feb 2012, 8:03 pm

+1
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthony Pearce Thu 01 Mar 2012, 2:06 pm

After trying to fit side racks for Givi E41 panniers and getting a lot of grief, I'd recommend you stick to the V46 topbox and the 35 L side panniers with the PLX.. part no.
It looks neat and complete. Ther's also a plate to get. You get what you pay for.
Anthony
Anthony Pearce
Anthony Pearce

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Fri 02 Mar 2012, 8:10 pm

After a 2 day delay to get the correct top box bracket I got it back today, very happy, as is my pillion (13yo daughter), she loves the box being there

What is a good rack for a top box? Opxr8g

What is a good rack for a top box? 28u75as
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Sat 03 Mar 2012, 12:15 pm

Nice!
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sat 03 Mar 2012, 12:27 pm

they look good chook , you should try them out & come on a ride with us / check out SA rides ( were going on one later this month with Reardo ) Very Happy

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

What is a good rack for a top box? Empty Anthony's pannier problem

Post  Anthony Pearce Sat 03 Mar 2012, 1:31 pm

So, I see that Givi E41 panniers do fit on a bandit. The side racks PL 539 fitted my Bandit 1250 2010 except that the rear bridge bar went through the blinker holes in the mudguard but could not be bolted onto the side racks because it ended up exactly 1 inch too far forward.
I had to use the rear mounting bolts from the hand rail behind the pillion seat and make a spacer in order to bolt the bridge bar to the two side racks.
Ahah! you might say, you should have fitted the bridge bar under the number plate light. Could not be done, way too short and almost straight.
More worryingly, the LHS bracket blocked the keyhole for the seat lock. So I had to bend my spare ignition key and leave it in.

[b]The u-shaped blinker bracket wobbled no matter how tight the screws. Also, it squashed the rubber plate and its raised edge. Unsightly and leaky. I cut it in half and bolted the blinkers onto the tags at the back of the pannier brackets. Had to lengthen the leads to the blinkers.
Note that I did not fit a top box. Therein may lie the problem as it seems to me that the top box bracket relocates the two bolts for the handrail. I note that your side brackets are straight, whereas the kit I've seen have curved brackets.
Now I have to get a correct bridge made up, and a spare ignition key. The retailer and distributor are in denial.
I wish I knew how to post pictures to this forum.
I have posted this to another topic.
Anthony Pearce
Anthony Pearce

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sat 03 Mar 2012, 1:44 pm

paul wrote:they look good chook , you should try them out & come on a ride with us / check out SA rides ( were going on one later this month with Reardo ) Very Happy
I'd love to but.......................

I'm going to Moranbah (QLD) in April (13yo daughter is coming for the ride)

I got the new bike, the Mrs is supposed to be getting a new kitchen, I've got the bike, kitchen hasn't started yet.

I've got a fair bit of "keeping the Mrs happy" to do the next 5 weekends before I go away, I've got a door to move (solid brick bungalow), 2 unused corner chimneys to remove, and ceilings to patch where the chimneys were (are) so the plasterer can come in while I'm away.

See what I can do but I don't want the locks changed while I'm away Wink
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

What is a good rack for a top box? Empty what is a good rack for a top box

Post  paul Sat 03 Mar 2012, 1:45 pm

Anthony Pearce wrote:So, I see that Givi E41 panniers do fit on a bandit. The side racks PL 539 fitted my Bandit 1250 2010 except that the rear bridge bar went through the blinker holes in the mudguard but could not be bolted onto the side racks because it ended up exactly 1 inch too far forward.
I had to use the rear mounting bolts from the hand rail behind the pillion seat and make a spacer in order to bolt the bridge bar to the two side racks.
Ahah! you might say, you should have fitted the bridge bar under the number plate light. Could not be done, way too short and almost straight.
More worryingly, the LHS bracket blocked the keyhole for the seat lock. So I had to bend my spare ignition key and leave it in.

[b]The u-shaped blinker bracket wobbled no matter how tight the screws. Also, it squashed the rubber plate and its raised edge. Unsightly and leaky. I cut it in half and bolted the blinkers onto the tags at the back of the pannier brackets. Had to lengthen the leads to the blinkers.
Note that I did not fit a top box. Therein may lie the problem as it seems to me that the top box bracket relocates the two bolts for the handrail. I note that your side brackets are straight, whereas the kit I've seen have curved brackets.
Now I have to get a correct bridge made up, and a spare ignition key. The retailer and distributor are in denial.
I wish I knew how to post pictures to this forum.
I have posted this to another topic.

try here https://nswbandits.forumotion.net/t1283-posting-photos-a-picture-story?highlight=how+to+post+photos

or type in how to post photos in the search box up by the home page header / sounds like something is wrong or missing to me

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sat 03 Mar 2012, 1:48 pm

Chook wrote:
paul wrote:they look good chook , you should try them out & come on a ride with us / check out SA rides ( were going on one later this month with Reardo ) Very Happy
I'd love to but.......................

I'm going to Moranbah (QLD) in April (13yo daughter is coming for the ride)

I got the new bike, the Mrs is supposed to be getting a new kitchen, I've got the bike, kitchen hasn't started yet.

I've got a fair bit of "keeping the Mrs happy" to do the next 5 weekends before I go away, I've got a door to move (solid brick bungalow), 2 unused corner chimneys to remove, and ceilings to patch where the chimneys were (are) so the plasterer can come in while I'm away.

See what I can do but I don't want the locks changed while I'm away Wink

Bloody hell when do you get to ride the bike with all that work to do Shocked (you know there are other ways to keep the missus happy Embarassed Razz )

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sat 03 Mar 2012, 6:09 pm

Not as happy as a new kitchen when she's been working in a 2.5m x 3.1m galley kitchen for 18 years
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:40 pm

just to please gus .......givi
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Sat 10 Mar 2012, 9:10 am

Jimcoleman wrote:just to please gus .......givi
+1
givi.......givi.......givi.......givi.......givi.......givi.......givi.......givi.......givi.......givi.......givi.......givi.......givi.......givi
givi.......givi.......givi.......givi.......givi.......givi.......givi.......givi.......givi.......givi.......givi.......givi.......givi.......givi

Sorry mate, A slip of the tongue. lol!

*HealTech Gear Indicator w/tre "Advanced Timing Retard Eliminator is needed".
*Balanced TB's. My TPS was fine, but you should check yours.
*Arrow race headers with Yoshimura TRS.
*PC3 with the supplied map and these mod got 123hp with 115nm of torque.
*Neville Lush Racing custom tune = 130hp with 125nm at the Tyre (Standard 98hp/108nm).
My youtube channel (clickhere)
Reardo
Reardo

https://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum