Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Want to buy a GSX1250FA but does the FA give off a lot of engine heat?

+9
gus
geekay007
Jimcoleman
Ewok1958
Boatz
Four40
2wheelsagain
madmax
Theov39
13 posters

Go down

Want to buy a GSX1250FA but does the FA give off a lot of engine heat? Empty Want to buy a GSX1250FA but does the FA give off a lot of engine heat?

Post  Theov39 Fri 10 Feb 2012, 12:56 am

I had a bad experience buying a GSX1250FA that kept overheating. I returned it and I am looking for to get another one.

Just a couple of simple questions which I hope you guys can help me with to help me buy one:

1. Does the FA give off a lot of heat from the engine to the point where you get really hot and its uncomfortable to ride?

A dealer once told me that some Harleys did that but I thought Suzuki would have that pretty well sorted out. None of my three previous Suzukis had that problem but they all had aircooled engines. Do liquid cooled engines run hotter?

Would it be better to get a Bandit without a full fairing? Would that reduce the heat being trapped around the engine and heating up the ride?

2. Is it risky buying a 2 yr Bandit SA that has only 200 kms on the clock?

I heard that it's not good to get bikes or cars that have been sitting around a lot. Creates internal problems. Its a demonstrator at a dealer so it did get started now and then and went for short test runs. I took it for a ride and it went great. Very responsive.

My other option is getting an FA only one year old with 3000 km on the clock for the same price at a dealer.

It's $10,700 with one year factory warranty and rego and a set of GIVI pannier's. Is that a good price?

What would be a better deal?

Thank you! This forum is great! Really helpful!

Last edited by Theov39 on Fri 10 Feb 2012, 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update)

Previous bikes: Suzuki GSX1400 K7, Suzuki GSX1250FA, Suzuki GSX1100EZ, Suzuki GS650EZ, Suzuki GT185
Theov39
Theov39

Location : Sydney, Australia although up in Lismore a lot too. My profile pic is from 1985 on a GS650E heading up there again.

Back to top Go down

Want to buy a GSX1250FA but does the FA give off a lot of engine heat? Empty Re: Want to buy a GSX1250FA but does the FA give off a lot of engine heat?

Post  madmax Fri 10 Feb 2012, 1:32 am

Answered your question about heat in your other post.
Mine I can feel some hot air when stopped with the fan going but not enough to be uncomfortable. Hardly notice it when moving.

As for the 2 other bikes. I'd be going for the 1 year old. The other one is still a 2 year old bike even though the K's are lower. Better resale later..

Or it just comes down to personal choice in styles.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Want to buy a GSX1250FA but does the FA give off a lot of engine heat? Empty Re: Want to buy a GSX1250FA but does the FA give off a lot of engine heat?

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 10 Feb 2012, 7:21 am

I'd go for the newer bike with warranty remaining. The K's are bigger all.
Screw the dealer for a oil change now just so you know what's in it. It will cost them $60 they won't say no.
If its the correct colour and condition go with the warranty protection.

It takes more than a quick start to keep an engine in good nick and there is much more to a bike than just the engine.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Four40 Fri 10 Feb 2012, 10:28 am

Compared to the heat a Sprint ST gives off, the Bandit is a comfortable summer breeze. My GSX is 18 months or so old and I've never had any problems with excess heat.
Four40
Four40

Back to top Go down

Post  Theov39 Fri 10 Feb 2012, 2:00 pm

Four40 wrote:Compared to the heat a Sprint ST gives off, the Bandit is a comfortable summer breeze. My GSX is 18 months or so old and I've never had any problems with excess heat.

Thanks for that! Funny enough, Im abouut to take a Sprint for a test ride but I definitely prefer the GSX. There is something special about large bore Suzukis.

Previous bikes: Suzuki GSX1400 K7, Suzuki GSX1250FA, Suzuki GSX1100EZ, Suzuki GS650EZ, Suzuki GT185
Theov39
Theov39

Location : Sydney, Australia although up in Lismore a lot too. My profile pic is from 1985 on a GS650E heading up there again.

Back to top Go down

Post  Boatz Fri 10 Feb 2012, 5:19 pm

Four40 wrote:Compared to the heat a Sprint ST gives off, the Bandit is a comfortable summer breeze. My GSX is 18 months or so old and I've never had any problems with excess heat.

Same here with mine. No problems at all. ( I bet something goes wrong after saying that )

Maintenance Tip " IT'S NOT RIGHT TILL ALL THE BOLTS ARE TIGHT"
Boatz
Boatz

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Fri 10 Feb 2012, 10:03 pm

This is not a plug but I work with a bloke who has a 2009 Sprint and he is thinking of trading - no issues at all with the Sprint but he is the "I should trade up every 3 years" type. I've ridden with him and he is a Grandma rider (its probably never seen 7k on the tacho) - that Sprint (serviced at the kms interval or on time whichever is soonest) is a second-hand gem. He is thinking of a Guzzi California, which he really likes - I can't even relate to this kind of change because he also likes the Triumph Scrambler!

So, if anyone knows anyone who thinks they might want a 2009 Sprint let me know.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Sat 11 Feb 2012, 12:18 pm

look at it this way if it was a year old car with 3000 km on it you wouldn't think twice. i bought mine with 48000km full service history and the right price reckon its good for another 100000 km sell it for $4000 ish in a couple of years. the depreciated value vs the Fun value
i am miles in front
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  geekay007 Sat 11 Feb 2012, 3:02 pm

Never had an overheating problem with mine mate. The only problem I have is that it needs a few hundred mill of oil in between service intervals, but that's OK.

TFi
Arrow full exhaust
Delkevic can
TRE set to 5th gear
Fork Brace
afro
geekay007
geekay007

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sat 11 Feb 2012, 6:18 pm

If your used to naked bikes then i think you will notice a differance .I've always had naked or S type cowl .The moment i went to full fairing
i was shocked buy the heat .It was a Sprint though (new ) hated it ,rather catch the bus .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Theov39 Sat 11 Feb 2012, 6:23 pm

gus wrote:If your used to naked bikes then i think you will notice a differance .I've always had naked or S type cowl .The moment i went to full fairing
i was shocked buy the heat .It was a Sprint though (new ) hated it ,rather catch the bus .

Thanks Gus. Good point! Have you had a chance to ride the FA?

IF so, how is that compared to the S/SA model? I'm also looking at that as an option.

Theov39
Theov39

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Sun 12 Feb 2012, 11:24 am

I have just done an 800k round trip to Albany in 30odd degree heat. The SA half faired bandit engine heat isn't bad compared to how hot it is riding in leathers. If you have a relocated rectifier that is far hotter again.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Theov39 Wed 15 Feb 2012, 11:23 am

Thanks guys for all the input. Very helpful! Took another one for a test rdie the other day and goes very nicely.

Theov39
Theov39

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Wed 15 Feb 2012, 6:09 pm

Did you get your refund yet ?

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Wed 15 Feb 2012, 6:32 pm

paul wrote:Did you get your refund yet ?
Yeah what's the latest?

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Theov39 Wed 15 Feb 2012, 9:55 pm

4wheelsagain wrote:
Yeah what's the latest?

Still waiting! They did send me a legal doc they want me to sign to process the refund but haven't seen the cash yet. Fingers crossed it will come through coz Im now up in Lismore test riding some other bikes. Need the cash to buy another one.

Theov39
Theov39

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Wed 15 Feb 2012, 10:38 pm

Theov39 wrote:
4wheelsagain wrote:
Yeah what's the latest?

Still waiting! They did send me a legal doc they want me to sign to process the refund but haven't seen the cash yet. Fingers crossed it will come through coz Im now up in Lismore test riding some other bikes. Need the cash to buy another one.

Might i suggest a independant mechanical check just wouldnt like you to see it happen again
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  Theov39 Wed 15 Feb 2012, 11:06 pm

Jimcoleman wrote:
Theov39 wrote:
4wheelsagain wrote:
Yeah what's the latest?

Might i suggest a independant mechanical check just wouldnt like you to see it happen again

Good idea. I'm up in Lismore but I'm sure I could find someone here to do that. I know the NRMA provides this service for cars so I will check if they also do bikes.

Does anyone know any other individuals or companies that provide this service?

Theov39
Theov39

Back to top Go down

Post  jaba01 Thu 16 Feb 2012, 5:06 am

I've nearly done 20,000km on my FA and it's only uncomfortable when it gets into the high 30's. But only if you have to stop at a lot of red lights.

My bike has never had any overheating issues............ you must of got a dud!

1050 ST tend to heat your butt on a long ride with the under seat exhaust......... but they're fun to ride.
jaba01
jaba01

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Thu 16 Feb 2012, 7:34 am

you know the thing i can't understand the about all this. the bike was under warranty whats was the problem, why didn't you just take it to a suzuki dealer to have it sorted, that what i would have done. and why didn't the dealer do it regard less of the dealership brands its no big deal for them. bizarre
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  NTBill Fri 17 Feb 2012, 7:34 pm

Depends if the bike was taken to a suzi dealer within 14 days of purchase.

The warranty book for my FA that I bought new last July is fairly specific on subsequent ownership. Notwithstanding the service history needing to be proven, it states as follows and I've quoted word for word....

"A subsequent owner can obtain the benefits of any remaining warranty by taking the motorcycle or ATV to an AUTHORISED SUZUKI DEALER for inspection within 14 days from the date of purchase. The Dealer will then notify SAPL. The AUTHORISED SUZUKI DEALER will need to see proof of ownership and a service history. To obtain warranty as a subsequent owner all requirements as set out in this handbook must still be adhered to."
End quote.

I'd reckon that if the bike is as cactus as it sounds to be. The suzuki dealer will be following their legal obligations. That's why I said in my earlier post - check with office of fair trading to get the lay of the land before getting steamrolled by dealer speak.
NTBill
NTBill

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down