Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GSX1250 FA OIL LEVEL GOING UP AND BIKE VERY HOT TO RIDE!

+11
dhula
2wheelsagain
holdenman
Kaupy1962
grahame
Tommo1965
Jimcoleman
Kiwisteve
madmax
gus
Theov39
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

GSX1250 FA OIL LEVEL GOING UP AND BIKE VERY HOT TO RIDE! Empty GSX1250 FA OIL LEVEL GOING UP AND BIKE VERY HOT TO RIDE!

Post  Theov39 Sun 29 Jan 2012, 12:51 am

I just bought a 2010 GSX1250FA with only 5500 KM on the clock. I thought it was a great deal but now I am not so sure.

Besides a quick test ride, I took the bike for its first run today commuting around town so running quite slow a lot of the time and stopping and starting a lot. Today it was about 25 degrees.

Two issues have popped up:

1. The OIL LEVEL was way above the F mark and covered the whole glass.

We drained the oil so it was just on F mark then one hour later it was ABOVE F again and covering the whole glass when I checked it on level ground with the bike on the centre stand.

The mechanic suggested that perhaps coolant was leaking into the sump. Is that possible?

The oil we removed did look a bit thin and it was foamy when I first stopped and looked into the oil level window.

IF that has occurred what might be the consequences for the engine? Serious damage? What else can leak into sump?

Because of this issue I only ran the bike under 60 KM per hour and at low revs (3000-4000 max). Would that have minimised any possible damage?

2. The engine seems to be running incredible hot.

I can really feel the heat coming of the engine and it was literally makING me sweat. It was like being in a mini furnace.

The main fan was cutting in a lot too. Perhaps this is a result of the oil issue but not sure.

Is that normal for this bike to get so hot?

Do others here experience the engine giving off a lot of heat to the point that it is uncomfortable to ride the bike?

Obviously I am very worried about this so I would really appreciate your comments, view, suggestions and advice!

Thank you!

UPDATE:

Thanks guys, for all the responses. Really gives me something to go on.

I checked the coolant and its empty!

How can a dealer let a bike leave their shop like that? Don't they check that before selling it?

I noticed this the morning AFTER I bought it from them at 6 pm the night before. I had ridden it a total of 8 KM max going back home. Sure took the fun out of my day, all this happening less than one day after I bought it.

As the mechanic had drained about a 1.5 litres of extra oil out of the bike, I can only assume that the coolant ended up there.

Hope you guys don't mind, but I have some follow-up questions:

1. How can that happen on a bike with only 5500 kms on the clock?

2. What do I do now? Top up the coolant and ride it back to the dealer or ring them and tell them to pick it up? I'm worried if I ride it it will get damaged. Is it safe to ride?

3. What damage to the engine do you think it has done already?

BTW, this is a major Harley dealer in Sydney who sold it as a trade-in they got. When I rang them on Saturday morning they said talk to Suzuki but surely the Harley dealer should take responsibility for the problem.

Last edited by Theov39 on Mon 30 Jan 2012, 1:15 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Update)
Theov39
Theov39

Location : Sydney, Australia although up in Lismore a lot too. My profile pic is from 1985 on a GS650E heading up there again.

Back to top Go down

GSX1250 FA OIL LEVEL GOING UP AND BIKE VERY HOT TO RIDE! Empty Re: GSX1250 FA OIL LEVEL GOING UP AND BIKE VERY HOT TO RIDE!

Post  gus Sun 29 Jan 2012, 7:20 am

My guess is fuel getting into the oil .Not good but thin oil better than NO oil .No more riding till problem solved .If it had carbs i would look there
but as its Fi count that out .

How is coolant level and colour ?

These motors run cool .(normally ) .Look inside air box any oil spray ,how is filter .Covered in fuel or oil

Put some oil in a bottle add some coolant ,shake and stir .Compare colour and texture .I would expect it to turn mud brown ?
Repeat with fuel .I would expect no colour change but thinner .

THeo ,just chuck in a quick Hi in the introduction part of the forum so we know who we are talking too . Very Happy

gus
gus

Back to top Go down

GSX1250 FA OIL LEVEL GOING UP AND BIKE VERY HOT TO RIDE! Empty Re: GSX1250 FA OIL LEVEL GOING UP AND BIKE VERY HOT TO RIDE!

Post  madmax Sun 29 Jan 2012, 7:47 am

If the oil isn't looking like a weak chocolate milkshake and you coolant level hasn't dropped then I agree with Gus, its got to be fuel mixing with the oil.

The only way fuel is going to get into the sump is past the rings. For that to happen it would have to be running super rich(shouldn't happen with a efi), and that would effect how it was running.

What does the inside colour of the tailpipe look like? it should be a nice grey colour.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwisteve Sun 29 Jan 2012, 7:56 am

Didn't the grey colour dissapear with the advent of unleadded???
Kiwisteve
Kiwisteve

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sun 29 Jan 2012, 8:12 am

Kiwisteve wrote:Didn't the grey colour dissapear with the advent of unleadded???

Dark grey as opposed to soot black.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Sun 29 Jan 2012, 8:26 am

I have the easiest fix - bikes under warranty is it not, wheel it in and say please fix
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sun 29 Jan 2012, 8:29 am

Jimcoleman wrote:I have the easiest fix - bikes under warranty is it not, wheel it in and say please fix

Now there's a damn good idea!

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwisteve Sun 29 Jan 2012, 8:48 am

madmax wrote:
Kiwisteve wrote:Didn't the grey colour dissapear with the advent of unleadded???

Dark grey as opposed to soot black.

Ok, no probs.

Now if only old mate Theo would come back on & intro himself like I did just a couple of days ago. Also, doesn't the warranty only cover the original owner?
Kiwisteve
Kiwisteve

Back to top Go down

Post  Tommo1965 Sun 29 Jan 2012, 8:51 am

Jimcoleman wrote:I have the easiest fix - bikes under warranty is it not, wheel it in and say please fix

that would be my method too Wink

Tommo1965

Back to top Go down

Post  grahame Sun 29 Jan 2012, 9:25 am

I thought the warranty transferred to the new owner
grahame
grahame

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaupy1962 Sun 29 Jan 2012, 9:37 am

The oil will be grey to white in colour if the coolant is going into the sump. Drop all the oil while it's hot, and then refill it with clean oil when it's stone cold. I have the same oil level problem with my Honda. I'd check the oil level when it was hot and there would be no oil on the stick. I'd check it again in half an hour and it would be there again. Weird i know but could never explain it. Check the ignition timing as well. If it's too far advanced it'll run hot. Finally, make sure it the thermostat is working if in doubt put a new one in it along with new coolant 50/50 with demineralised water.
Kaupy1962
Kaupy1962

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sun 29 Jan 2012, 10:20 am

It doent take much of an angle for the oil to to be above the glass . If the bike is running hot , it will be thin .(still good )

Maybe it just needs a good tune .
These bikes have bullet proof motors ,i carnt see coolant or fuel getting in the oil .
I can see bike running hot due to a bad tune
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  holdenman Sun 29 Jan 2012, 10:51 am

Oil levels should be checked cold.

When oil heats, it expands so it is going to give you a different reading.

A engine that has been running has oil all through the motor, not just in the sump were you are getting your reading from. let the bike completely cool before you check it.

With the heat. you have a GSX. The engine is going to run hotter then our bandits as it is enclosed with plastic. The gsx has 2 thermo fans to keep it cool. Unless you are getting a warning light on the dash i wouldnt be conserned

Last edited by holdenman on Sun 29 Jan 2012, 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

2007 Bandit 1250S
holdenman
holdenman

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sun 29 Jan 2012, 10:59 am

Always a hard one to diagnose without having a heap of info.
I'd be keeping an eye on the coolant bottle. And checking the air filter like someone suggested is a good idea too.
Even on the centre stand it doesn't take much of a slope to give an oil level error so i use it as an indication only. If the oil is between the marks its fine (its always as close as buggery to F) but if it had dropped a little I wouldn't be worried. So the same goes for seemingly over full. We don't know the OP's experience with bikes.

Even on the S you will feel some engine heat at commute speeds and i imagine the funneling effect of the fairing the FA would be hotter.
The fact that the fan cuts in and out at 25c is a worry but still excessive idling or very slow speeds will cause that. At least the fan works.
I'm assuming there are no idiot lights on display?
Most of all, its under warranty so get it looked at. The warranty transferes no problem unless the previous owner farked something.

And you can tell SFA using exhaust colour as a guide these days. Colour even varies between brands and RON.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Sun 29 Jan 2012, 11:37 am

Rising oil level could be anything without more info.
*Incorrect checking technique - checking on the CS is not super duper accurate, but accurate enough so long as the ground is level. Read your manual on how to check it, not a simple as look at the window when it is cold.
*Running ken super rich - like top fuel drag car rich to cause it this bad IMO
*Coolant leak -do you know where the coolant reservoir is, just because the res is full does not mean the rest of the cooling system is, pop the tank and check. A leak could be thru the oil cooler, a seal or gasket (maybe as bad as the head gasket)
*Maybe you struck it rich with a new oil making machine, cash that baby in and make millions.

Running hot could be a couple of things but could be combined with a coolant leak.

What is the service history, should have been serviced at least twice so far I reckon. If not do one where you change oils, coolant etc etc and see if it improves

Best advice
Take it to a dealer and get them to fix it. It's under warranty

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  NTBill Sun 29 Jan 2012, 2:57 pm

My FA gives off a fair bit of warmth on the right hand side. I live in Darwin so the bike doesn't know what cool air feels like. Despite that I've yet to see the second cooling fan kick in (the one on the right hand side), however we don't get the traffic jams so my bikes generally moving along happily. I've done some longish day runs of around 700 km in temps of 35-40c at sustained high speed running and had no probs.

re the warranty, checked my warranty book fine print and it says it does carry over to subsequent owners HOWEVER...it says new owner must take bike to Suzuki agent within 14 days of sale and have ownership details transferred and verify previous service record etc.

Like others say, a few things to check, but I'd be trying the warranty path and get that open sorted first.
Bill.
NTBill
NTBill

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Sun 29 Jan 2012, 5:34 pm

It is essential to know if the coolant level is decreasing. Hot running is consistent with a loss of coolant, so if the coolant level is decreasing, you've probably got one of the problems dhula mentioned - although hard to believe with these motors - they are so understressed that it would seem impossible for a head gasket to blow.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Sun 29 Jan 2012, 5:52 pm

I found with mine that i got a lot condensation in my oil from short runs, when i first saw it i thought it was a blown head gasket, but its condensation very common to this engine i am told

Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  Theov39 Sun 29 Jan 2012, 6:14 pm

madmax wrote:If the oil isn't looking like a weak chocolate milkshake and you coolant level hasn't dropped then I agree with Gus, its got to be fuel mixing with the oil.

The only way fuel is going to get into the sump is past the rings. For that to happen it would have to be running super rich(shouldn't happen with a efi), and that would effect how it was running.

What does the inside colour of the tailpipe look like? it should be a nice grey colour.

Thanks Madmax and all you guys for your help! I really appreciate it.

The oil looked black/brown, and THIN but that could be coz it is was hot when he drained it.

The inside of the pipe is SOOT BLACK, and NOT grey.

If it is coolant, HOW does that get into the sump? DOes that mean there isa crack in the engine somewhere? I thought those two systems (oil circulation and coolant circulation) would have been structurally completely separated from each other and that one cannot leak into the other. Is that correct?

Frankly, this is the first bandit I have owned so I don't even know where the coolant bottle is but will have a look around.
Theov39
Theov39

Location : Sydney, Australia although up in Lismore a lot too. My profile pic is from 1985 on a GS650E heading up there again.

Back to top Go down

Post  Theov39 Sun 29 Jan 2012, 6:17 pm

Jimcoleman wrote:I found with mine that i got a lot condensation in my oil from short runs, when i first saw it i thought it was a blown head gasket, but its condensation very common to this engine i am told

Jim, when you say condensation, what exactly do you mean?

After a short and slow run through stop and start traffic, I looked and the oil in the sump had a head of foam on it. Is that what you mean?
Theov39
Theov39

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Sun 29 Jan 2012, 6:33 pm

If it is coolant, HOW does that get into the sump? DOes that mean there isa crack in the engine somewhere? I thought those two systems (oil circulation and coolant circulation) would have been structurally completely separated from each other and that one cannot leak into the other. Is that correct?

They are supposed to be separated but at gaskets they get close together. Very unlikely to be a crack in the engine. If the say, head gasket, has a tear between the cylinder and the coolant tubes, you've got the potential for the coolant to enter the engine. This kind of problem was quite common with some older car engines but better manufacturing standards have all but eliminated it as a common problem with modern vehicles. But it obviously can still happen. That's why it is essential to know if the coolant level is going down as the oil level is going up to know if the two are linked together. I would have thought a blown head gasket on a Bandit was about as likely as Elle McPherson knocking on my front door but if there was a manufacturing fault with the gasket you'd be entitled to have it fixed as a warranty item.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sun 29 Jan 2012, 6:54 pm

Jimcoleman wrote:I found with mine that i got a lot condensation in my oil from short runs, when i first saw it i thought it was a blown head gasket, but its condensation very common to this engine i am told

Its actually common in most water cooled engines. Just be thankful your car doesn't have a sight glass. Laughing

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Sun 29 Jan 2012, 7:48 pm

Theov39 wrote:

Jim, when you say condensation, what exactly do you mean?

After a short and slow run through stop and start traffic, I looked and the oil in the sump had a head of foam on it. Is that what you mean?

yup thats right even milkie, i though i had a blown head gasket about two weeks after i bought , went to my local suzuki dealer bob bless his heart had a look checked the oil cap & coolant, "nah its condensation you only doing short runs" common problem with bandits just make sure you give it a long run once a week ( no problems there on doctors orders) and it would pay to change the oil and filter bit more regular so i do mine every 6000ks no problems at all

Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  Boatz Sun 29 Jan 2012, 10:28 pm

Theo ,Coolant bottle is on left hand side under fairing.

Maintenance Tip " IT'S NOT RIGHT TILL ALL THE BOLTS ARE TIGHT"
Boatz
Boatz

Back to top Go down

Post  Theov39 Mon 30 Jan 2012, 12:38 am

Boatz wrote:Theo ,Coolant bottle is on left hand side under fairing.

Thanks Boatz!
Theov39
Theov39

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum