Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie / Potential 1250FA owner questions

+5
paul
reddog
2wheelsagain
gus
Bucky
9 posters

Go down

Newbie / Potential 1250FA owner questions Empty Newbie / Potential 1250FA owner questions

Post  Bucky Wed 31 Aug 2011, 9:20 am

Hi Everyone,
Realise I'm speaking to the converted here, but as you all know these bikes well, would love your honest opinions.
I'm after a new Sports Tourer / all rounder, that will do a decent job of playing in the twisties, commuting, two up touring with luggage, & most importantly be RELIABLE !! My current ride is Italian & spends more time at the mechanic's than my place. As the purchase price is low I'm prepared to throw some money at the thing straight away to set it up. Thinking - Yoshi pipe, heated grips, panniers & top box, maybe an Ohlins shock for ease of adjustment. Have only had a short test ride around town so any thoughts / opinions would be great.

Cheers,
Bucky
Bucky
Bucky

Back to top Go down

Newbie / Potential 1250FA owner questions Empty Re: Newbie / Potential 1250FA owner questions

Post  gus Wed 31 Aug 2011, 9:32 am

I have Italian also and love it . Thing is i use the Bandit more because of all the reasons you mentioned above . Feel free to P.M. me if you want
to for a more in depth comparison .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Newbie / Potential 1250FA owner questions Empty Re: Newbie / Potential 1250FA owner questions

Post  2wheelsagain Wed 31 Aug 2011, 9:44 am

The Bandit will do what you want but have a close look at the full dressed Kawa Z1000 or whatever they call it.
The Bandit is a torque factory but short on mumbo.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Bucky Wed 31 Aug 2011, 10:03 am

2wheelsagain wrote:The Bandit will do what you want but have a close look at the full dressed Kawa Z1000 or whatever they call it.
The Bandit is a torque factory but short on mumbo.
Thanks for that. I had a look at the Kawi Z1000SX Ninja. It would be a great thing I didn't do any regular two up stuff. But we do lots of weekends away & its just too small for me, the girl, & all our gear (*read - her gear Rolling Eyes )
Thinking the 1250FA will do that pretty well.
Cheers,
Bucky
Bucky
Bucky

Back to top Go down

Post  Bucky Wed 31 Aug 2011, 2:41 pm

Thanks for the info.
Was going to order a backrest for the givi top box but after reading your post I had a look at some pics & the topbox is mounted quite a long way forward & over the grab rail. Is a possible to move the mounting plate back a couple of inches ?
At least the seat issues aren't deal breakers & there are a few options out there.

Cheers,
Bucky
Bucky
Bucky

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Wed 31 Aug 2011, 2:49 pm

Rear seat sliding issue can be fixed with a cheap Triboseat cover from the UK. Cost about $30 to the door. My wife used to always slide into me under heavy braking, fitted the Triboseat and problem fixed.

Here's a link http://www.triboseat.com/
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Newbie / Potential 1250FA owner questions Empty re newbie potential 1250 owner

Post  paul Wed 31 Aug 2011, 5:17 pm

Bucky wrote:Thanks for the info.
Was going to order a backrest for the givi top box but after reading your post I had a look at some pics & the topbox is mounted quite a long way forward & over the grab rail. Is a possible to move the mounting plate back a couple of inches ?
At least the seat issues aren't deal breakers & there are a few options out there.

Cheers,
Bucky
without modifying the mounting brackets you can only drill new holes in them 1/2 -3/4 inch back . I made a tapered spacer to fit between mounting plate & bracket which lifts the front of the box up & also gives your pillion more room.
paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  skinner Thu 01 Sep 2011, 3:49 am

Re the top box fitting,I bought my 1250 last year with the Suzuki carrier and box(which is just a Givi unit),and found the pillion accommodation a little snug,I have got round this by fitting a SWmotech top box rack,which looks loads neater and pushes the box back an inch or so.
I dont know how you would go on with pannier fitment,but if you intend to go for a top box only this has to be the best option.
skinner
skinner

Back to top Go down

Post  Bucky Thu 01 Sep 2011, 7:49 am

Thanks for all the info.

Sounds like with a few mods it'll be a good thing.

Cheers,
Bucky
Bucky
Bucky

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironman Fri 02 Sep 2011, 6:39 pm

Renthal bars are a good bit of kit that you MIGHT change to depending on your ergonomics. I changed my FA's bars to Renthal Superbike Ultralows ... well they are here just not fitted yet. I wanted to lean a little more forward and with less rearward rake on the ends of the bars. Try an FA on for size. Big lazy lump of an engine - should last forever if you don't flog it. But don't take my word for it (I own 3 bandits so I'm a little biased) Very Happy
Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Post  Bucky Mon 05 Sep 2011, 8:26 am

Thanks for that.
The bars are one of things on the bike that I'm not keen on. After years of having fairly beefy sports bike style clip ons, the bandit bars look cheap & nasty. On the plus side - they'll be convenient to mount the GPS & other toys on ( which I couldn't do on the clip ons ). I'll have a look at some aftermarket bars down the track if the standard ones annoy me too much.

Cheers,
Bucky
Bucky
Bucky

Back to top Go down

Post  potatomasher Tue 06 Sep 2011, 7:40 pm

yes - bars are nasty and engine is the bike equivalent of a 454 chev V8 as opposed to a European screamer in automotive terms

https://www.youtube.com/user/potatomasher100?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  mustang sally Thu 15 Sep 2011, 5:41 pm

I was after the same thing a couple of years ago. What I thought I wanted was a big european that may tour. I thought the trumpy sprint st was the go or a bmw 1300s. I kid u not i bought the bandi and took the fan to hawaii with the change. Its not the fastest, prettiest, latest etc but it does everything reasonably well. If i had my time again I would get a gsx1250fa as unlike others i don't have the time to clean the engine every time it spots. I cannot replace it without forgoing something. So i won't. Lazy, easy to ride and roomy. Enjoy.

Zero G DB Screen
mustang sally
mustang sally

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum