Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Second Bike?

+10
kewwig
Cameron
Ewok1958
sb1250
grahame
Mpottsy
dhula
gus
Four40
2wheelsagain
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What Second Bike? Empty What Second Bike?

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 15 Aug 2011, 2:09 pm

If you had $4,000 to $5,000 to spend on a second bike what would you get.
1 rule, it has to be a different style to the Bandit.
The price may be adjusted later but thats what it is for now Wink

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

What Second Bike? Empty Re: What Second Bike?

Post  Four40 Mon 15 Aug 2011, 3:35 pm

I already have a second bike Wink Cost a bit more than 5K thou.
Four40
Four40

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 15 Aug 2011, 3:49 pm

Going to have to find a copy of motor cycle trader , back soon . : Very Happy It would have to be .

Air cooled -2 cylinder - not big or fat -parts available -no fat tyres -naked-simple design- not feet foward -European .

Can you get a Guzzi for $5000 ? or a Bmw 75\5 ( i had one )Cost me $250

Last edited by gus on Mon 15 Aug 2011, 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Mon 15 Aug 2011, 4:08 pm

If I was to have two bikes it would be something off road ish, registrable, simple as all get out to fix/repair/bodge up to get home like KLR/E, DR, XR, XT, TT at the like

But seeing how we already have 2 bikes in the shed (his and hers) it's a bit of a compromise between road and dirt for us as we take the kids with us on day trips and weekenders.

So for 4-5g it would be a strom of some sort (wee over Vee IMHO) or maybe an early versys (if they go down that cheap) with KLR/E style wheels on it.

If money were no object (I know, not what this thread is about) then a new S10 might find it's way into the shed (and it may still if the big T don't sort there shintz)

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  Mpottsy Mon 15 Aug 2011, 5:02 pm

Maybe a VTR250 for city riding something small and nimble that I can thrash a little but still have some comfort. Also something that i don't mind dropping a little bit so that I can practice my riding skills.

Scorpion Pipe
Givi Set with Admore Lights
Garmin Zumo 660
DW Stage 2 with Secondaryectomy
MRA Vario Screen
Oxford Grips
VCM Seat

HID conversion
Mpottsy
Mpottsy

Back to top Go down

Post  grahame Mon 15 Aug 2011, 5:42 pm

Blackbird maybe?
grahame
grahame

Back to top Go down

Post  sb1250 Mon 15 Aug 2011, 5:50 pm

Geeee, 5 grand. Hmmmmm
Could I get either a RS125 or a RS250 Aprillia, or maybe a high kays Mk4 Guzzi please! If it needs to be practical, then make it a big bore chook chaser. bounce

Mods included...
Home made rad guard
IXIL muffler
Pro-oiler
stebel nautilus compact horn
Xenon 55w 4300k HID (low beam only)
Ventura Rack
Did have Bandit Mania "Chin" spoiler (belly pan) RIP... Sad 
Barkbuster Storm hand guards
Removed rubber dampers from tool kit area - Gus' idea
sb1250
sb1250

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Mon 15 Aug 2011, 5:52 pm

Since I won't get an SP2 within the price constraints, probably this one (I had an XS750 in my younger days - always fancied the 850):

http://www.bikepoint.com.au/all-bikes/private/details.aspx?R=11088968&__sid=128A82347990&__Qpb=1&Cr=0&__Ns=p_IsPoa_Int32%7c0%7c%7cp_RankSort_Int32%7c1%7c%7cp_HasPhotos_Int32%7c1%7c%7cp_Make_String%7c0%7c%7cp_Model_String%7c0%7c%7cp_YearMade_Int32%7c1%7c%7cp_PriceSort_Decimal%7c1%7c%7cp_PhotoCount_Int32%7c1&keywords=&__N=1432%20604%201430%201429%201626%201428%204294967267%204294964406&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=1&silo=1400

Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 15 Aug 2011, 5:59 pm

Isnt that an early model Yamaha Bandit ? Very Happy
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Cameron Mon 15 Aug 2011, 6:28 pm

My SV650 trackie Very Happy

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Mon 15 Aug 2011, 6:31 pm

DR650. Cheap commute and can play off road and explore places the Bandit can't
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 15 Aug 2011, 6:45 pm

Ok I guess I should come clean.
The darling is luke warm to the idea that Black Betty could have a stable mate Smile
On the condition it doesn't put a big dent in out house deposit which practically is a fair point even though I have saved 99.9% of it I guess it will be our house.

Anyway the reason for the company is the Bandit is way overkill for my daily commute and I think contributes to my often aired frustration with the big girl. As soon as I do a weekend ride or tour of any length I fall back in love. It still has short comings but It does the trips with ease so I can live with them.
Also since my "roadside chat" in Jan I havent enjoyed resisting the temptation twice per day and I would be foolish to think I would be so lucky next time. Fact is on my commute winding her out in second in town will see me walking let alone 7,500RPM in 4th. Yes officer....................................... Sorry officer.................................... Work it out
So my reasoning for something different to the Bandit was really asking for something slower and less tempting. I guess the original post should have been more clearer in that respect Embarassed

Ideally I would plonk down some cash for a new W800 or Bonnie (thanks Gus) but they would have me looking for a 1BR flat Laughing
I'd consider a maxi scoot even. Certainly various chookie's have been considered but with a crook right knee will need to have an electric leg. A bigger older thumper would have had the nod 2 yrs ago. A larger LAMS bike would be ok too as it is for commuting only and could be used as leverage one day to get the darling on a bike instead of only having a history of selling them (Service Honda)

Anyway keep suggesting Smile

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 15 Aug 2011, 7:24 pm

I bought an Kawa Er 5 19,000 kays $2500 .It was realy good .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Mon 15 Aug 2011, 8:35 pm

95-2000 CR500R. NO Rego & I'll get arm pump before my dickie back starts to get sore Rolling Eyes

*HealTech Gear Indicator w/tre "Advanced Timing Retard Eliminator is needed".
*Balanced TB's. My TPS was fine, but you should check yours.
*Arrow race headers with Yoshimura TRS.
*PC3 with the supplied map and these mod got 123hp with 115nm of torque.
*Neville Lush Racing custom tune = 130hp with 125nm at the Tyre (Standard 98hp/108nm).
My youtube channel (clickhere)
Reardo
Reardo

https://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Mon 15 Aug 2011, 8:38 pm

for what you want the bike for my suggestion would be a ER6 (F or N) but this won't meet the LAMS needs unless you get the lams bike I guess.
GS500 might be a worthwhile look.

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  sb1250 Tue 16 Aug 2011, 7:06 am

There's a few 400's in the country now, so spares etc arent too hard to get. Have you looked at something like Yamaha's XJR400? Not too big, not too small.....! Very Happy

Mods included...
Home made rad guard
IXIL muffler
Pro-oiler
Ventura Rack
sb1250
sb1250

Back to top Go down

Post  lliquidlen Tue 16 Aug 2011, 6:31 pm

There is only one possibility, the record shattering Single Cylinder 2020cc Numsyorbumuntesticles from Hungary a beast that is capable of killing a rider who does not follow the highly complex kick starting procedure.

Here I am waiting for the twelve Valium to kick in prior to kicking the monster into life at the infamous Grand Prix of Gibraltar.

[img]What Second Bike? Bike1024x768[/img]

lliquidlen
lliquidlen

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Wed 17 Aug 2011, 10:36 am

2wheelsagain wrote:Ok I guess I should come clean.
The darling is luke warm to the idea that Black Betty could have a stable mate Smile
On the condition it doesn't put a big dent in out house deposit which practically is a fair point even though I have saved 99.9% of it I guess it will be our house.

Anyway the reason for the company is the Bandit is way overkill for my daily commute and I think contributes to my often aired frustration with the big girl. As soon as I do a weekend ride or tour of any length I fall back in love. It still has short comings but It does the trips with ease so I can live with them.
Also since my "roadside chat" in Jan I havent enjoyed resisting the temptation twice per day and I would be foolish to think I would be so lucky next time. Fact is on my commute winding her out in second in town will see me walking let alone 7,500RPM in 4th. Yes officer....................................... Sorry officer.................................... Work it out
So my reasoning for something different to the Bandit was really asking for something slower and less tempting. I guess the original post should have been more clearer in that respect Embarassed

Ideally I would plonk down some cash for a new W800 or Bonnie (thanks Gus) but they would have me looking for a 1BR flat Laughing
I'd consider a maxi scoot even. Certainly various chookie's have been considered but with a crook right knee will need to have an electric leg. A bigger older thumper would have had the nod 2 yrs ago. A larger LAMS bike would be ok too as it is for commuting only and could be used as leverage one day to get the darling on a bike instead of only having a history of selling them (Service Honda)

Anyway keep suggesting Smile

My choice would be for either something VERY sporty, like an RSV250, older GSXR600/750 or for something a bit dirty like a KLR650/DR650. But non of these will serve your needs. Obviously the sporties will get you in to trouble, but so will the big chook chasers (just ask my son).

No my suggestion to you, bare in mind I'm trying to help you look after your licence, is get something boring and beige, that way it's not hard to keep temptation at bay. So, a GN250, CB250, CD250U (mildly interesting to look at), or a small scooter.

b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Wed 17 Aug 2011, 1:21 pm

Hi Guys.
Mostly good suggestions so far.
I personally like the idea of a big thumper but Vic Roads class anything over 500cc at the top reg point and I'm unlikely to get the darling to throw a leg over a DR650 etc.
I cant see myself forking out the asking price for a Bonnie or W800 but after searching I could be talked into a Suz Burgan 400 or Yam T-Max 400. Anyone had anything to do with these? They both are withing the pleading price range.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sb1250 Wed 17 Aug 2011, 1:39 pm

If you havent already - go and test ride them (big scooters). I cant get my head around the scooter thing Rolling Eyes . Better off with B12micks suggestions IMHO..... but, at the end of the day - if its something YOU enjoy riding, is cheap enough, and keeps you outa trouble, then go and get one! Very Happy

Mods included...
Home made rad guard
IXIL muffler
Pro-oiler
Ventura Rack
sb1250
sb1250

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Wed 17 Aug 2011, 1:56 pm

sb1250 wrote:If you havent already - go and test ride them (big scooters). I cant get my head around the scooter thing Rolling Eyes . Better off with B12micks suggestions IMHO..... but, at the end of the day - if its something YOU enjoy riding, is cheap enough, and keeps you outa trouble, then go and get one! Very Happy

Yeah I think that might be on the cards next time I'm in the big smoke mate. I liked your earlier suggestion of the XJR400. Always liked them and knew someone who had one before trading up. Could be a bit too similar to the B1250 but worth a look if I find one.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Wed 17 Aug 2011, 6:07 pm

My wife loves her VL250 (she is short in stature). I've ridden it a few times - it is OK if you like the cruiser style. I also rode home from the dealer a VTR250 bought by a friend of my wife. She will likely sell it as she finds the seat a bit too high (resulting in a static tip over when stopped at the lights - she is also pretty vertically challenged). People who buy CB400s seem to love them - I've not seen a comparison with the XJR400 but it would make interesting reading I would think. But like you said - too much like a wee Bandit? And I guess does that matter? CB400s do cost though - although the grey imports are cheaper.

Knowing your requirements now, definitely wouldn't want an old XS850!
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Wed 17 Aug 2011, 8:00 pm

Ewok1958 wrote:My wife loves her VL250 (she is short in stature). I've ridden it a few times - it is OK if you like the cruiser style. I also rode home from the dealer a VTR250 bought by a friend of my wife. She will likely sell it as she finds the seat a bit too high (resulting in a static tip over when stopped at the lights - she is also pretty vertically challenged). People who buy CB400s seem to love them - I've not seen a comparison with the XJR400 but it would make interesting reading I would think. But like you said - too much like a wee Bandit? And I guess does that matter? CB400s do cost though - although the grey imports are cheaper.

Knowing your requirements now, definitely wouldn't want an old XS850!
The XS would be a good project but its not really what I'm looking for in this case.
I did many miles on the ex's ZZR250 and it was fun I think I want an extra 15hp so that rules out 4 stroke 250's.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  lliquidlen Thu 18 Aug 2011, 12:34 am

@Twowheelsagain

My choice would be for either something VERY sporty, like an RSV250, older GSXR600/750 or for something a bit dirty like a KLR650/DR650. But non of these will serve your needs. Obviously the sporties will get you in to trouble, but so will the big chook chasers (just ask my son).

No my suggestion to you, bare in mind I'm trying to help you look after your licence, is get something boring and beige, that way it's not hard to keep temptation at bay. So, a GN250, CB250, CD250U (mildly interesting to look at), or a small scooter.

I am shuddering about your possible decision to regress to the "dark side"

We all fall foul of Mr. Plod from time to time, that is their job and ours is to evade them by staying 5km under said speed limit no matter what we ride.

We live in the best country in the world to be a Biker and with a bit of common sense and the understanding that the laws are there to protect us. we still can have a load of fun without posing for the "speed Taxation devices" and generally Mr. Plod will be understanding if we are not bloody idiots.

Don't regress to "SCOOTERS", you have to hand in your family jewels to buy one, 250cc bikes are for folk suffering from Dementia and with our size we are likely to cause Mr. Plod to fall offf his bike laughing as we wizz past flat out at 50km.

Get a Triumph! and at least look the part and I will get one as well, alternately a BMW 1000RR and let us go to God in style.

[img]What Second Bike? Bmw_s_1000_rr_26[/img]

Yes Mrs. Cookie, realizing that my time here is limited has given me the OK for the BMW, it is a magnificent machine.

Your rooms are ready when your are Smile

lliquidlen
lliquidlen

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Thu 18 Aug 2011, 7:49 am

lliquidlen wrote:

I am shuddering about your possible decision to regress to the "dark side"

I wouldn't be retiring the Bandit Cookie Smile

The RR is out of my price range but good on you.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next