Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Letter to Suzuki

+12
lliquidlen
Mars
Dekenai
grumpy60
Reardo
Cameron
dhula
Ewok1958
reddog
Saikhan
gus
2wheelsagain
16 posters

Go down

Mr Suzuki - Letter to Suzuki Empty Letter to Suzuki

Post  2wheelsagain Tue 19 Jul 2011, 10:45 am

Dear Suzuki,
Although I love my Bandit 1250S times must have been tough at the factory when it was designed and built because there are a few things you could have done better.

In no particular order I would have paid a bit more to have the following done better or included in the first place.
1. Temperature  gauge – Why build a water cooled bike that can operate under harsh engine conditions and keep the cooling systems performance a secret?
2. Useful Headlight – For the sake of a $1.00 globe (bulk buying) why not fit a headlight that allows us none nocturnal creatures to see at night. Correctly align it while you’re at it too.
3. Paint that’s more than 1 micron thick – Seriously how much testing was done here?
4. Tank protector – See above. My 14yr old Suzuki had one.
5. Rough frame welds – Is this a Suzuki signature? Hit them with a grinder FFS!
6. Plastic & rubber sleeves over wiring that’s too short – As my partner says an extra inch makes a difference.
7. Coolant bottle – Located so it can be filled without a length of tube and funnel
8. Under seat storage – I can’t fit anything more than a pair of socks under that huge seat.
9. Useful helmet hooks – I have never seen a helmet locked properly to the under seat hooks.
10. Power – You milled 4 huge holes in a lump of aluminium and said 96 – 98hp is enough!

Brakes are up to scratch and the suspension is adequate for what the bike is designed for.
You could say the same of the engine but I think 120hp wouldn’t compromise torque much either.
I’m by no means saying the Bandit is a dud bike. You get a very capable bike for $12 - $13k
I’m saying it could be much better for not much more money and this becomes more obvious the longer you own the bike.

Feel free to add yours.

Last edited by 2wheelsagain on Fri 13 Jun 2014, 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Mr Suzuki - Letter to Suzuki Empty Re: Letter to Suzuki

Post  gus Tue 19 Jul 2011, 11:41 am

Dam ,wish i had written that .Its spot on, but i can add a few more .
I sill hate that 1.6 lt fuel guage thing ,just tell me when there is 3 lt. left
The original tires would only last 1 week on a trip .
Those hose clamps that are too long ,ugly and cheap looking .
The paint on my wheels washed off.
You went to the trouble of making the seat adjustable but stopped short on the shape .
It looks middle-aged
Too heavy , i think the biggest problem .
One colour in 09,Pink ,seriously Suzuki ,pink is NOT the new black .

There are lots of good points ,but thats not what this post is about ,is it .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Saikhan Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:05 pm

Pair of &$&^$&^%$en whingers. lol!
Saikhan
Saikhan

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:31 pm

Saikhan wrote:Pair of &$&^$&^%$en whingers. lol!

Nope far from it Wink I even said I love mine.

As good as it is and lets not forget it does what its designed to do for a little extra $$ it could be a whole lot better.
Once the newness “wow factor” washes off you come to see the shortcomings and things that could have been done better.

I know you were taking the piss Smile

That is all……….. Chris out! Laughing

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Tue 19 Jul 2011, 2:20 pm

How about the OEM exhaust.. they just have to look at Hondas and Yamahas to realise you don't need an exhaust that weighs a tonne and looks like you are carrying a bazooka.

Stock turn signals are out of the 80's... time for an update.

Radiator protection

More undercoat please. a 4 year old bike thats starting to rust is not good.

I second the shitty seat. Look back to the previous Bandit and understand why people could ride them all day. Something that looks like a piece of hard wood probably feels like it too Very Happy
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Tue 19 Jul 2011, 6:22 pm

And (I agree with all of the above):
- fit the GPI to the 1250s. If it's good enough for the GSF1250 and the GSX1250F, then it ought to be on the 1250s.
- use progressive rate springs and better valves/oil in the front suspension. If Laurie can transform the bike for $400 by changing these then Mr Suzuki could do it by adding half that to the purchase price.
- apply a bit more correction to the speedo error. My XR6 is only 2kmph out at 100kmph not 7.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Tue 19 Jul 2011, 6:59 pm

add more smiles, not sure how to go about it, but add them

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  Cameron Tue 19 Jul 2011, 7:11 pm

+ 1 to the wiring, paint and temp guage.
but im not complaining.
wouldnt swap it for anything....except for a b-king Razz

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Tue 19 Jul 2011, 7:58 pm

Cameron wrote:+ 1 to the wiring, paint and temp guage.
but im not complaining.
wouldnt swap it for anything....except for a b-king Razz
+1 cheers

*HealTech Gear Indicator w/tre "Advanced Timing Retard Eliminator is needed".
*Balanced TB's. My TPS was fine, but you should check yours.
*Arrow race headers with Yoshimura TRS.
*PC3 with the supplied map and these mod got 123hp with 115nm of torque.
*Neville Lush Racing custom tune = 130hp with 125nm at the Tyre (Standard 98hp/108nm).
My youtube channel (clickhere)
Reardo
Reardo

https://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Tue 19 Jul 2011, 8:13 pm

..and last but not least. More grease please where it's needed. Charge us an extra $10 but grease it properly for the love of god!
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  grumpy60 Tue 19 Jul 2011, 8:15 pm

old people who fall over a lot and don't ride very well simply don't notice minor imperfections.........................Grumpy clown

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Tue 19 Jul 2011, 9:10 pm

Trouble with the B-King is that its uses a 'Busa wheelbase, as per the motto of the Vincent Black Shadow Racing Team "The f*ckers not much for turning; but she's pure hell in a straight-line"
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  Mars Wed 20 Jul 2011, 8:08 pm

Less glue on the Stickers thanks.
..Took ages to take off with my finger nail affraid
Mars
Mars

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Wed 20 Jul 2011, 8:12 pm

I reckon a 'R' model with Hayabusa fully adjustable suspension, radial brakes and a warmed up engine. This would address the area's where Suzuki have cut the corners.
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  lliquidlen Sat 06 Aug 2011, 11:44 am

The advantage of having two bikes, the FZ1 cost me almost 25 Grand with suspension/carby/Airbox work and is a magnificient bike to ride in the twisties where one mistake and its Pinball Wizzard with the trees and loves Phillip Island and the Bandit at half that price which for $50 work on the airbox and a BCM filter gave me an extra 10 HP whilst a friend put on a Yoshi muffler $1100, Power comander $490 and got 11 more HP.

The Bandit is like a scooter in the city, the FZ is not happy among cars, if I ever buy a farm, won't need to buy a tractor, the Bandit will do just fine.

The build quality of the FZ1 is better than the Bandit but not up to Honda standards, understand the gearing and making allowance for the suspension and working within the sweet spots in the motor and you can embarrass a fool on a GIXXER, the Bandit corners better than a Hayabusa (so does a road train)

The Bandit is my 65th Bike and my first was a 61 Velocette Venom which I loved just as much as the following 64, none was perfect but they all got better the better I rode them and I wish I had them all together now.

Those (Chris) who complain about the lights never lived in the days when we had to put up with Mr. Lucas, the Prince of Darkness, pre Locktite bolts that unscrewed themselves at will, chains that flew off at will, rocker covers that had to be held on with wire and solder so that when they fell off you did not lose them, beautiful Smiths Instruments that were only any use when the engine was off and not vibrating, Split crankcases that did split and leak oil, pre unit gearboxes, magnetos, viscous kick starts all of which we learned to love, we had to try to stay alive with the flexible frames of the Kawasaki triples 500/750, the 750 Laverdas that hated to start at all, 1970s Ducatis which is how the Italians paid us back for winning the war, 900cc Kawasakis that had heaps of power but could never make up their minds which direction to go under power unless slotted into an Egli frame, Norton Commandos where you had to be given the last rites prior to pulling apart their clutches, and who can forget that miracle of modern engineering the Suzuki RE5 rotrary, hopefully the designer of that bike had the common decency to commit Seppuku and that sweet last of the big Two Strokes, "The Tokyo Tea Pot" GT750M Water cooled a sweet bike that waved goodbye to the Two Stroke Tourers.

I had them all and more and learned to love each one sometimes in spite of or because of their failings and idiosyncrasies. Rather than search for faults in my bikes I simply learn to love them as they are and any failings get blamed on "Murphy's Law"

We are lucky, I suspect that many of us purchased the Bandit as it was the best bang for the buck, in 2008 I gave Mick Hone $11,800 on the road (Yes I had bought many bikes from Mick in the preceding years) and Suzuki chucked in a full set of Givi luggage gratis, and 30,000 Kilometers later I love it dearly.

Let us give thanks.

lliquidlen
lliquidlen

Back to top Go down

Post  mustang sally Sat 06 Aug 2011, 3:25 pm

When I was doing my LAMS I had a GS500f. Honest is one way of describing it. Ordinary is another. I swore off cheap and cheerful. I promised myself that when I finished doing my time OS I would get myself a quality item like a BMWk1200s, a Griso or even a multistrada. However, in Paris, besides the multitude of scooters, all I would see is bandits(600's mostly). The idea stuck. For half the price I expected to pay I have a versatile, powerful, fun machine. All these little cheap foibles (except the rust which is a concern) seems to me a small price to pay for such bang for your buck. Look at the road rider price guide and see what $13k ride away gets you for a "quality" bike. I bet it has 1 cylinder or is LAMS approved. Appreciate what you have without focusing on what is missing. All the little shortcomings make my wife individual. I still like riding her.

Zero G DB Screen
mustang sally
mustang sally

Back to top Go down

Post  Rabid_Canine Sat 06 Aug 2011, 3:57 pm

Voting with liquidlen and mustangsally.
Bandit is the best value for money bike I have owned. Not the best bike, though, and I am happy to accept:
* the less than optimal brakes - wooden compared with my '06 Guzzi 1100 Sport
* the average front end - oversteers like buggery compared to my Laverda RGS 1000
* the average styling - a big lump of a thing compared with my tonti-framed Guzzi 750S
* the poorly damped rear end - but the White Power shock on the 1100 Sport would add the best part of $1500 to the purchase price

because I could not have bought a better bike for the money

Ride in the twisties, making allowances for the deficiencies, but making use of the pluses, and pick a gear (like 3rd or 4th) and ride it on the throttle and scare the shit out of blokes on bikes that cost twice as much.

Rabid_Canine

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sat 06 Aug 2011, 5:56 pm

No one including me have said they don't like their bandit.
All this thread was started for was to discuss what improvements Suzuki could have done and still deliver the best bang for bux big bike.
I am living with its plusses and minus's. I too have had better bikes and I've had better finished Suzukies. As an example we all agree the paint is piss poor don't we? But like I originally said I love it.

Last edited by 2wheelsagain on Fri 25 May 2012, 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  lliquidlen Sat 06 Aug 2011, 6:34 pm

I know and have ridden with Chris on our Bandits and he is in no way kicking the marque, he in fact is a closet Bandito who sneaks out of his darlings bed and cuddles up to massive, warm black beast when she is asleep.

All his points are valid and his complaints should be supported.

The reason that I am forgiving is that I have owned and ridden many, many bikes most of which could not be registered these days except as Vintage machines. As well as that, unlike Chris that lithe, athletic little wisp of a thing, I am hampered by my great girth, buggered undercarriage and having the mechanical ability of Mr. Bean, if I got down to inspect the nether regions of my Bandit, it would require Elvis the firefighting helicopter to hoist me into an upright position, consequently I rely upon my Mechanic at Brighton Bikes and Bits do do the caring bit as I do the riding bit and having looked after both my bikes wonderfully, I leave the worrying to him, I know my limitations only too well.Smile

Also I really hate the fact that Chris has a better muffler then me, lives in the country and can shoot anything or anyone he likes.

lliquidlen
lliquidlen

Back to top Go down

Post  grumpy60 Sat 06 Aug 2011, 7:43 pm

I have reached the conclusion that if the Suzuki Bandit was PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT this mob would be BORED SHITLESS and complaining that there was nothing to do lol! lol! lol! ..............................Grumpy clown

Back to top Go down

Post  mustang sally Sat 06 Aug 2011, 8:19 pm

Just a couple of points. Firstly my original comments were not intended to dump on anyone seeming ungrateful. Just voicing my opinion. Secondly, I am sure that the marketing and accounting departments at suzuki have worked everything out to the last cent. Everything on that wish list would increase the price and reduce the bang for your buck we all enjoy. Grumpy is right, if all this was done and nothing needed improving what would we all do? Another thing, every bike I have ever ridden has shortcomings. I am sure the low bike stand on the guzzi would have gotten irritating. I find the throttle response on the FZ1 so peaky it doesn't suit my ham fisted approach. The last BMW I rode just felt gutless and not very special. Everything is a compromise.

Zero G DB Screen
mustang sally
mustang sally

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sat 06 Aug 2011, 8:30 pm

lliquidlen wrote:As well as that, unlike Chris that lithe, athletic little wisp of a thing.

Oh Cookie you still need glasses Laughing

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 25 May 2012, 3:43 pm

Just bumping an older thread for the benefit of some of the newer Bandit owners Smile

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ausrock50 Fri 25 May 2012, 6:11 pm

Good on ya 2wa Very Happy Was well worth the read study
I did a ton of homework and study on different bikes before I got back into them and couldn't go passed the Bandit for price and ride. Wink
And most of the things it's missing I have a great time fitting onto it myself. Must admit temperature guage is a bit out of my range of incompetence:scratch: That one is a bit of a mystery on Suzi's part confused
It's great for me and the cheese n kisses to cruise around on and on the very, very rare occassion I can chisel her arse off the back seat I have a lot of fun on it Twisted Evil
ausrock50
ausrock50

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Fri 25 May 2012, 7:33 pm

The water temp and battery condition was the reason I stuck this Trail Tech unit on, it is the only one they have that covers both these functions (as well as a host of other stuff):

Mr Suzuki - Letter to Suzuki Strike10
Mr Suzuki - Letter to Suzuki Img_4920

It has a manifold that goes in the top raditor hose - pretty simple to setup with minimum tools and mechanical know-how.
About US$130 plus delivery - bit pricey but by the time you add up the cost of seperate gauges I figured it was worth it.

Mr Suzuki - Letter to Suzuki Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down