Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hand Guard Options

+7
Ross.
holdenman
grumpy60
gus
rolls
Mpottsy
kewwig
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hand Guard Options Empty Hand Guard Options

Post  kewwig Thu 02 Jun 2011, 8:41 pm

OK, who has hand guards on a GSF1250S other than the V Strom ones? I am interested in Barkbusters or other generic types (ideally with LEDs) that will keep Wellington's cold air off my delicate hands and that won't hit the fairing with standard bars.

Feedback and pics appreciated!
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Hand Guard Options Empty Re: Hand Guard Options

Post  Mpottsy Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:35 pm

im very interested in this too. Might just have to take the plunge and be the first again like the dynabeads.

Scorpion Pipe
Givi Set with Admore Lights
Garmin Zumo 660
DW Stage 2 with Secondaryectomy
MRA Vario Screen
Oxford Grips
VCM Seat

HID conversion
Mpottsy
Mpottsy

Back to top Go down

Post  rolls Fri 03 Jun 2011, 6:23 am

I put the Barkbusters on mine (K4 S), and put LED strips on them as well. Took a bit of work to put the strips on, but looks and works fine. I used clear and black silastic to glue them on because the plastic is very greasy and no other glue would stick to them. You'll need a new relay if you want to add any LEDs to the blinker circuit.

Tony.
rolls
rolls

Back to top Go down

Post  Mpottsy Fri 03 Jun 2011, 6:57 am

rolls wrote:I put the Barkbusters on mine (K4 S), and put LED strips on them as well. Took a bit of work to put the strips on, but looks and works fine. I used clear and black silastic to glue them on because the plastic is very greasy and no other glue would stick to them. You'll need a new relay if you want to add any LEDs to the blinker circuit.

Tony.

where did you get the LED strip from?
I really like this idea as i think it would clear up the front of the bike and allow the removal o the standard indicators Idea Idea

Scorpion Pipe
Garmin Zumo 660
MRA Vario Screen
Oxford Grips
VCM Seat

HID conversion
Mpottsy
Mpottsy

Back to top Go down

Post  rolls Fri 03 Jun 2011, 9:12 am

Below is a link to the original post I put up for the LED blinkers. The blinkers were from ebay china and from memory were about $10 with delivery (go China!).
They were in a waterproof clear plastic pouch with an adhesive strip on the back. I trimmed the edge of the pouch, cutting the pouch in half and removing the led board, as I only wanted the front of the pouch. I then threaded the wire through a hole in the guard and stuck the led board to the guard with clear silastic, and wrapped packing tape around it to sit for a day. I then put a bead of clear silastic around the board and stuck the clear plastic over that, taping and leaving for another day. I then sealed it all with black silastic. I used acetone to wipe off the excess silastic and return a shine to the plastic on the guards from where some of the tape had stuck (I did put paper between the tape and the guard, but some got through). I've got some pics of it all somewhere, I'll look for them tonight.

Tony.

blinkers link
rolls
rolls

Back to top Go down

Post  Mpottsy Fri 03 Jun 2011, 9:47 am

thanks for the info

I found the soft curved stick on LEDS for the hand guards. And the adapters for the fairing LEDS that I already have. I also have the resistors as well so just need the hand guards now and all will be well.

Scorpion Pipe
Garmin Zumo 660
MRA Vario Screen
Oxford Grips
VCM Seat

HID conversion
Mpottsy
Mpottsy

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Fri 03 Jun 2011, 7:44 pm

Oh what the hell. The cheapest option was a DL650 Vstrom full set (guards and hardware) from EBay, and a left hand DL1000 guard and pivot bolt from Alpha sports. Suzuki make a full kit to retro-fit guards onto the DL650 (as it doesn't come out with them stock like the thou), and from my previous DL650 experience, the difference between that and the DL1000 is in the left hand guard. The 650 has a cable clutch, whilst the 1000 has a hydraulic one identical to the Bandit. I'll end up with a spare 650 left hand guard I'll sell, but it's a far cheaper option than trying to assemble the DL1000 parts from the parts fiche.

Once they get here, I'll post a photo montage and evaluation. I had the guards on my DL650 through a Wellington winter. The heated grips kept the palms and underside of the fingers warm, and the guards kept the worst of the rain and wind chill off. Useless for brush and vegetation on a dirt bike, but great on the road. The weather here's turning to crap, so I may as well have warm hands!

Just seen pics on Maximum Suzuki on a bike identical to mine and they look quite good
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Fri 03 Jun 2011, 7:55 pm

I think i have those .Put in" Hand guards" in the search box (by Gus)Is that them ?
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  grumpy60 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 8:09 pm

I am using Storm Barkbusters and find them very good....about $120 ..they replace bar end weights with solid bar in front and plastic cover over.......advantages 1, keep cold wind off 2, keep rain off 3, protects levers in fallover etc..( old people fall over quite often )...................Grumpy clown

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Fri 03 Jun 2011, 8:17 pm

gus wrote:I think i have those .Put in" Hand guards" in the search box (by Gus)Is that them ?

That's the ones. I am looking also at LEDs as daylight running lamps: http://www.bikevis.com/motorcycle-led-running-light-strips.html
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Mpottsy Wed 08 Jun 2011, 3:43 pm

Barkbuster Storm S1's fitted today and a set of these ordered.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130529895647&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNARL:AU:1123#ht_4457wt_1292

with the oxford grips going and the hand guards my fingers are incredibly toasty warm sunny

Scorpion Pipe
Garmin Zumo 660
MRA Vario Screen
Oxford Grips
VCM Seat

HID conversion
Mpottsy
Mpottsy

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Wed 08 Jun 2011, 6:35 pm

Love to see photos of the setup when done.
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Mpottsy Wed 08 Jun 2011, 9:45 pm

kewwig wrote:Love to see photos of the setup when done.

Ask and you shall receive

Hand Guard Options _MG_1056

Hand Guard Options _MG_1054

Hand Guard Options IMG_1052

Very simple to install and fit. The Oxford bracket has twisted slightly making the buttons turn more outwards towards the hand making operation even easier Very Happy

Scorpion Pipe
Garmin Zumo 660
MRA Vario Screen
Oxford Grips
VCM Seat

HID conversion
Mpottsy
Mpottsy

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Thu 09 Jun 2011, 8:04 am

They look good. Do they flex much? The DL guards anchor at both ends, but the Storms are one sided
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Mpottsy Thu 09 Jun 2011, 8:36 am

kewwig wrote:They look good. Do they flex much? The DL guards anchor at both ends, but the Storms are one sided

Surprisingly very little flex. You do have the option though of adding an additional bar which attaches to the end bar weights

Have also ordered these to go on them too

Hand Guard Options Flexibleleds

Scorpion Pipe
Garmin Zumo 660
MRA Vario Screen
Oxford Grips
VCM Seat

HID conversion
Mpottsy
Mpottsy

Back to top Go down

Post  holdenman Thu 09 Jun 2011, 4:25 pm

Im going to order myself a pair of these but im going to get the ones that replace the bar end S5. i dont have enough room on my handle bars for the S1 model

2007 Bandit 1250S
holdenman
holdenman

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Thu 09 Jun 2011, 6:05 pm

Mpottsy wrote:
kewwig wrote:They look good. Do they flex much? The DL guards anchor at both ends, but the Storms are one sided

Surprisingly very little flex. You do have the option though of adding an additional bar which attaches to the end bar weights

Have also ordered these to go on them too

Hand Guard Options Flexibleleds

I am very interested in how they look. I gather they are 3 wire - one earth and a live feed for the blue and one for the amber. Let us know how they look when you get them. In NZ we can't show blue lights to the front, but the amber as secondary indicators are OK.
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  grumpy60 Fri 10 Jun 2011, 8:14 pm

mine mount from the bar ends..saves the levers if you fall over ..olHand Guard Options 006-1d people fallover a lot.....................Grumpy clown

Back to top Go down

Post  Mpottsy Fri 10 Jun 2011, 9:58 pm

kewwig wrote:
I am very interested in how they look. I gather they are 3 wire - one earth and a live feed for the blue and one for the amber. Let us know how they look when you get them. In NZ we can't show blue lights to the front, but the amber as secondary indicators are OK.

I will. however at only $14 for the lights its easy just to leave the blue wire un attached then no worries. bounce bounce

it will be a few weeks before i get this next bit sorted as I am on holiday and then flat on my back in hospital for a week. Good news though is the Surgeon has said i should be able to ride again after about 6 weeks post surgery. I will be paying Keven a visit at VCM before hand to get a new custom seat made.

Scorpion Pipe
Garmin Zumo 660
MRA Vario Screen
Oxford Grips
VCM Seat

HID conversion
Mpottsy
Mpottsy

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Sun 12 Jun 2011, 6:18 pm

OK, the V Strom ones arrived and are fitted. They look good, although at maximum lock touch the fairing. You can lock the steering and still have a gap, and I don't mind as you rarely have to move the bars lock to lock. They keep all the wind and rain off the top of the fingers, and complement hot grips keeping the underside of your hands warm. Good for cold NZ winter riding.

Hand Guard Options Dscf4217
Hand Guard Options Dscf4213

I purchased the DL650 full kit off Ebay, which comes with the bar end spacers, longer screws, guards and fitting hardware. I also bought a left hand DL1000 guard by itself (there's not a DL1000 kit as the thou comes with the hand guards from new, whilst the 650 does not). The DL1000 left hand guard is made for a hydraulic clutch, which is pretty much identical to the Bandit's. The DL650's is made for a cable clutch and is quite a different shape. You can see them below (the 650 one is being held in the top of the shot).

Hand Guard Options Dscf4214

You can probably make the 650's fit, but it wouldn't be a good fit.

The right hand guard has a modified pivot pin on which it sits. Imagine the standard pivot with a longer thread at the bottom to take another nut and washer to "sandwich" the underside of the guard, and with a nut welded to the top, on which the guard sits with a screw going through to hold it on.

Hand Guard Options Dscf4215

The left hand guard (for the 650) comes with a different pivot bolt as the guard is different. This is the part that caused me a problem, as to fit the DL1000 guard, you need the DL1000 pivot. The bolt to order is the right hand DL1000 one, as the left hand one is the wrong size (I found out the hard way)
Hand Guard Options Dscf4216

It is far cheaper to order the 650 kit and the DL1000 guard and pivot than to try and buy each piece separately. If you want to do it, order the:

OEM DL650 hand guard set part number 57300-27824-291 (USD$50) - Ebay, and the rest from Alpha Sports:

OEM DL1000 hand guard part number 57541-06G10-291 (USD$19)
Screws (2) to mount the top part of the guard 09125-06118 (USD$1.53 ea)
Washers to mount under the screws (2) 09160-06130 (USD$1.13 ea)
Pivot bolt for left hand side (note that this is the part number for the DL1000 right hand pivot, which is the correct size. The left hand one won't fit) (1) 57431-06G10 (USD$21.90)
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Ross. Thu 15 Dec 2011, 6:16 pm

Just fitted some BarkBuster Storm hand guards this arvo. Took 45mins all up. Very easy to fit. Did not have to do any cutting of anything. Follow the instructions and its a breeze. The mounts for mine are different than those supplied to grumpy60s.

Hand Guard Options 203xu9

Hand Guard Options I4fvbt

Hand Guard Options 2ykkohs

Hand Guard Options 2cmxmjq

Ross.

http://rossmz.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ross. Mon 16 Apr 2012, 10:00 am

Had to take the BarkBsuters off. They are directing a blast of air straight into the lower part of Jan's helmet when we are at highway speeds. This is causing her helmet to lift and try to strangle her.

Ross.

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Mon 16 Apr 2012, 11:37 am

Ross. wrote:Had to take the BarkBsuters off. They are directing a blast of air straight into the lower part of Jan's helmet when we are at highway speeds. This is causing her helmet to lift and try to strangle her.

Buy her a new helmet... lol.

Seriously though, when I bought the Bandit I had an AGV X Vent. It was brillant on my GSX600, but on the Bandit it would lift and try and rip my head off.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Mon 16 Apr 2012, 2:13 pm

Yep sounds like new helmet time. My old HJC used to try and starngle me, the Shark doesn't lift at all.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Ross. Mon 16 Apr 2012, 4:00 pm

Jan has not had this helmet that long. Its an open face with a face shield. She prefers the open face ones.

I never really noticed how much air the fairing pushes away from your hands till I took the Barkbsuters off. Seems to be "dead air" around the hands. Note that my hands are in a different position that when i first bought the Bandit seeing as it has higher bars fitted.

Ross.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next