Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chain length.

4 posters

Go down

Chain length. Empty Chain length.

Post  gus Sun 16 Jan 2011, 9:15 pm

Will not be long before its new chain time. Does anyone know if you were to leave off the two locking nuts ( 1 either side ) on the chain
adjusting bolts,so the adjusting bolt would wind in approx 10mm more .Would the axle slide far enough forward to take an extra link out (or should i say 2 links,as i would be useless )
OR is there still not enough room .Happy with gearing but axle looks a loooong way back with standard amount of links.

Last edited by gus on Sun 16 Jan 2011, 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Chain length. Empty Re: Chain length.

Post  gus Sun 16 Jan 2011, 10:43 pm

IS there anyone else interested in knowing the answer .If there IS i'll take the wheel off and find out.

Realise the question was a bit out of the ordinary.
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Mon 17 Jan 2011, 1:42 am

I don't think taking the lock nuts off will yield enough to allow you to remove an extra 2 links.

I've just replaced chain and sprockets on a 250 virago and the difference between 2 links was about 1/2 the available adjustment. I know it's a different bike with different sprockets and a different chain (virago has 520) but the pitch of a 520 and a 530 (which is on the bandit) is the same so it should be a rough enough guide.

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 17 Jan 2011, 6:58 am

That's what i thought .IF it did work it would have been a good idea.(?) It might get too much for me and i have to try and see.

Hang on that will not work ,the chain on my bike has stretched so it will give a false reading.Have to wait till i am ready
for a new chain. 33.000 so far no real tight spots.

Last edited by gus on Mon 17 Jan 2011, 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : future thought)
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 17 Jan 2011, 9:18 am

You'd be better off having new axel blocks milled if you want anything.
I'm well over 20'000km and still have heaps of adjustment left unless the wear comes on fast at some point like the PR2's at the end of their life Crying or Very sad

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 17 Jan 2011, 9:34 am

Its never as easy as you think is it. iI was giving it a wash yesterday and thought brilliant idea ,oh well.
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Thof Mon 17 Jan 2011, 8:27 pm

Gus et al, my dealer told me the chain on the FA is endless and the swingarm comes off for a change over. Buggered if I know, I get down far enough to lube and check slack, strewth, I'm still 2.5K away for the 6K service! I do need to get out more, (when the rain stops and some of the roads are fixed a bit...) get a manual and read lots etc.
Thof
Thof

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 17 Jan 2011, 8:51 pm

Thof wrote:Gus et al, my dealer told me the chain on the FA is endless and the swingarm comes off for a change over. Buggered if I know, I get down far enough to lube and check slack, strewth, I'm still 2.5K away for the 6K service! I do need to get out more, (when the rain stops and some of the roads are fixed a bit...) get a manual and read lots etc.

It is my opinion thst your dealer is playing with himself regarding the swing arm. The chain like all good chain is endless meaning a pin needs to be ground off to break the chain (or use a breaker)

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thof Mon 17 Jan 2011, 8:58 pm

Yes, swingarm off sounds like good labour change for someone. I did years ago have a small screw punch to knock the link out when ends are ground off. I really do need to be a lot more tech savy on the new scoots, including electronics (dust off the grey matter!)
Thof
Thof

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 17 Jan 2011, 9:27 pm

Thof wrote:Yes, swingarm off sounds like good labour change for someone. I did years ago have a small screw punch to knock the link out when ends are ground off. I really do need to be a lot more tech savy on the new scoots, including electronics (dust off the grey matter!)

I'm assuming you're not talking of the good folks at Raceway Suzuki? Always had good dealings there (used to work in Keilor East)

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thof Mon 17 Jan 2011, 9:38 pm

Strewth 2WA, have you a camera and GPS tracker on me...! Yes, it was actually one of the "young" mechanics whom said it... Damian has been bloody excellent and is a gr8 yarn,. Thankfully it's very difficult to out bullshit a bullshitter... i'm really good at playing dumb (yep, I suspect i'm asking for it) Smile
Thof
Thof

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down