Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cam chain / timing chain replacements

5 posters

Go down

Cam chain / timing chain replacements Empty Cam chain / timing chain replacements

Post  gazzar Mon 22 Jul 2013, 1:06 pm

Hi Peoples,
            Can any 1 tell me where you can purchase a new cam chain / timing chain (NOT ENDLESS) with joining link.
Tried searching the net 2 no avail, sorry found 1 DID in England but none in OZ, any 1 got the thumbs up on this ?
or do I just bye 1 from the stealer's, it's for my 08 Bandit 1250................... Cool
gazzar
gazzar

Back to top Go down

Cam chain / timing chain replacements Empty Re: Cam chain / timing chain replacements

Post  madmax Mon 22 Jul 2013, 2:53 pm

Do you really want a joiner in your timing chain? I've heard of  them letting go and destroying the engne.

I'd like to hear other peoples thoughts on this.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Cam chain / timing chain replacements Empty Re: Cam chain / timing chain replacements

Post  gazzar Mon 22 Jul 2013, 3:49 pm

Tell me the simple way of putting in an endless cam chain. From what I've heard most shops break the chain 2 do the job.
gazzar
gazzar

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 22 Jul 2013, 3:51 pm

I have (or had ) no problems with a rivet joining link .There is no way I would pull a motor
apart to fit an endless timing chain .Liable to do more damage than a rivet link will ever do .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  gazzar Mon 22 Jul 2013, 3:56 pm

A Gus,
       that's what I think to, but the question is, where do I pick up a chain with joiner ?
gazzar
gazzar

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 22 Jul 2013, 5:08 pm

I would have thought any bike shop would order one in .Link international should carry them .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Mon 22 Jul 2013, 5:18 pm

gazzar wrote:Tell me the simple way of putting in an endless cam chain. From what I've heard most shops break the chain 2 do the job.

sorry I don't have an answer for you. All I can tell you is a mate of mine took his bike to a shop and they were going to charge him,  I think $700ish to replace the chain and they didn't recommend a joiner. Lucky for him it turned out to be just the tensioner

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 22 Jul 2013, 6:48 pm

Of cause they didn't , no profit in that .Very Happy

Have to ask though ,you SURE you need a new t\chain ? I wouldn't expect to replace
mine till 150,000 kls +
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  gazzar Mon 22 Jul 2013, 9:23 pm

Well Gus, I'm pretty certain it's not clutch noise,that stops when leaver is pulled in, not valves wrong noise,
sounds like new when started but gets fairly roudy after a good ride and only noticeable when stopped. The
little darlings got 72000k so could be a little if'ish, so guess I'll find out when I delve inside wot! Time 2 go
shoppin.............. Very Happy
gazzar
gazzar

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 23 Jul 2013, 8:11 am

Remove tensioner first .Check and clean spring ,inspect notches .Re-install . They (c\chain ) can get noisy as a new notch is about the be engaged .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  gazzar Tue 23 Jul 2013, 9:20 am

Got a manual tensioner,but I may have a little check just to see, much'us Gus.
gazzar
gazzar

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 23 Jul 2013, 12:58 pm

Ah ,only person I know who has one of those ,and only person I know with a worn sounding
cam chain .
Coincidence ?

Still got the auto one , might be worth a try .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sloth_27 Wed 24 Jul 2013, 9:55 pm

I would be extremely surprised if you needed to ever replace a timing chain on a Bandit. Maybe with 150k kms...
Sloth_27
Sloth_27

Back to top Go down

Post  rolls Thu 25 Jul 2013, 6:22 am

I replaced the cam chain when I shaved the head and dropped in a new intake cam @37000km. I only decided to replace the chain because I put in new slotted cam sprockets so I could dial the cams in for optimum power / torque delivery.

The chain is endless and Suzuki say to break the block to replace them, so I can see where the $700 quote comes in.

You'll need to take the cams out. Break a link on the new chain and on the old chain (leaving the old chain in the motor & not letting the ends to fall into the donk), use thin AND tough wire to join the old chain to the new and slowly wind the motor over with a spanner on the crank to pull the new chain through. Join the new chain and have someone hold a lump hammer or such behind while you spread and rivett the link with a center punch and ball peen hammer.

Even if you could find one for a hi-flo cam chain............

DO NOT USE A JOINING LINK ON A CAM CHAIN!!
rolls
rolls

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Thu 25 Jul 2013, 7:44 am

rolls wrote:

DO NOT USE A JOINING LINK ON A CAM CHAIN!!

And that, is what I thought gazzar was talking about.

Joining Link
Cam chain / timing chain replacements Z
Squash head Rivet LinkCam chain / timing chain replacements Camchain_rivet2
Cam chain / timing chain replacements Camchain_rivet2Cam chain / timing chain replacements Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTyRT8QpmCANgoQVBte-YC-WqwIn8rTV9fhsLqB46Z_wJj1sZLRzQ

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  gazzar Thu 25 Jul 2013, 1:28 pm

No,no,no,no,no not the type with the split plate, the 1 with the squishy ends (rivet ) so lets not panic.
Interesting opinions though.............. Very Happy
gazzar
gazzar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down