Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pro Oiler review

Go down

Pro Oiler review Empty Pro Oiler review

Post  Davidi Thu 01 Oct 2009, 2:51 pm

On a previous bike I had installed a scott oiler. Whilst I found it OK, I always seemed to have a splattering of oil on the rear rim or over the rear of the bike or a dry chain because I "wound" down the flow too much. When I got my Bandit, the centre stand made it easy to oil the chain so for a while I did nothing. I then went on a big ride - 5000K and forgot about oiling the chain!. When I got back I started to look around. I came across references to a pro-oiler.

This is the link www.pro-oiler.com/

It then made me realise the limitations of the scott oiler. Whilst it is about a $110 more than a scott oiler you can adjust it on the move and the set flow rate does not change due to oil thining or thickening in heat or cold ie viscosity. You change the flow according to the weather and road conditions. Basically it has a scale of 1 to 9. The "normal is 3. On 3 it pumps a squirt of oil every 7kms at a speed of 60km per hour. At a 100kph this changes to 7.8kms as it appears that the oil is better thrown around the chain at higher speeds requiring less oil per km. This is all done by a computer chip. At setting 9 the squirt is every 1km. So in wet or dusty conditions you just dial up more oil, and turn it down when you return to normal conditions. This is all controlled by a LED panel and + and - buttons that can be velcrod to the brake fluid reservoir on the handle bars.

Last weekend I went to South Australia - it rained a storm on the Friday going over. I just turned up the flow rate and when we arrived in Adelaide, my chain was clean and well oiled.The oil had collected all the dirt and road grime and had been flicked off the chain by the centrifical forces. My mate who used a spray on chain lube was dirty, gritty and he then decided to clean his chain before applying the chain lube agian.

The good thing about it is that you can remove it and recalibrate it for other bikes, so this time if and when I change to a new bandit I will take the oiler with me.

I know there are cheaper alternatives out in the market place but most are "mechanical" and require you to remember to give the oil bottle a squeeze. Or in the scott oiler case, the adjustment for flow rate cannot be done on the move. Mine comes with a 125ml bottle that fits under the seat and that is enough oil for about 10,000km on normal.

I understand that other forums have joined together and bought in volume to get a better deal. This maybe something other may wish to pursue. Installation took me about 2 hours, and TW texan and Maxim Suzuki forums have detailed instruction on which wires to connect to if you do not have a manual. The kit does come with very detailed instructions for a universal fit.

Highly recommended for the high km riders bike.

Davo

Davidi

Back to top Go down