Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

can you bump start a 1200 Bandit?

3 posters

Go down

can you bump start a 1200 Bandit? Empty can you bump start a 1200 Bandit?

Post  allambiejohn Mon 24 Jul 2023, 1:14 pm

So went work on Friday and as usual parked on the 6th floor of the car park under my office building.  Returned at 6 to discover I had turned the key past 'lock' and into 'Park'. Damn, who has ever used a parking light on a motorbike??  Oh well I thought, as I am on the sixth floor I have 5 ramps to go down and try to bump start the bike.  No joy other than some lacklustre gurgles when at the bottom of the ramp I let the clutch out.  Another four attempts - but no joy. Parked up and took the battery out (luckily the original tool kit is still under the seat).  Took the bus home and charged the battery overnight.  Returned next day and installed the fully charged battery - all lights came out so good to go.  But! when I pressed the starter button there was a loud click from under the seat and everything went dead.  Disconnected the battery and checked (surely I had the battery around the right way).  Checked all the fuses, but as far as I could tell the 15A ignition fuse was still OK. The battery was correctly fitted, the lights came on again and I tried again - same result.  Slightly uneasy now, as I am in the CBD with a dead bike and Sunday fast approaching.  Then a couple of strokes of luck 1. The bike was due to get a new front tyre and steering head bearings, I phoned them (Prodigy Motorcycles in Brookvale) to say I was going to be late and described the symptoms -  "100% a battery fault".  Ok how to get a charged motorcycle battery on Saturday afternoon relying only on public transport.  First call was to MCAS near Central - and they not only had the right battery, but also put it in charge for me as it was a good 30 minute walk from where I was.  Put the old battery back in back pack - went to MCAS dropped the old one off for recycling and walked back with the new one. Batteries are heavy!  Fitted it and everything worked absolutely fine.  I may be imaging it, but the bike seemed to idle more smoothly with the new battery.  Dropped the bike at Prodigy and then walked home.  What a day!  So what was the old battery doing which killed everything - and what protection does my bike have - the click was obviously something tripping but what?
allambiejohn
allambiejohn

Back to top Go down

can you bump start a 1200 Bandit? Empty Re: can you bump start a 1200 Bandit?

Post  GSX1100G Wed 26 Jul 2023, 3:15 pm

Hi,
Sounds like the park light slowly killed the battery, death by a thousand cuts, very slowly. Just because it shows "full" on the charger, it really matters what the volts are when it's time to spin the starter. Battery voltage drop under load ( often called the drop test) is all that matters. Yours probably went to 6 under load, everything died. Would have returned to Maybe 12 or 13, but only had enough guts to click starter relay after that. Your car, truck etc is the same. You must have volts & amperage available.
Glad it worked out!

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Thu 27 Jul 2023, 4:08 pm

I suspect if you gave it a load test it would fail that
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down