Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stripped 2010 Bandit 1250S

+2
Chook
RedBluBerri
6 posters

Go down

Stripped 2010 Bandit 1250S Empty Stripped 2010 Bandit 1250S

Post  RedBluBerri Wed 16 Nov 2022, 3:23 pm

Hey guys, new to this forum and can't quite find too much detail about streetfighter bikes. I know the word streetfighter can be ambiguous but I think streetfighter bikes that get seriously custom work just become naked bikes and lose the streetfighter label.

I had a lowside a few months ago and have been looking hard into getting parts. Unfortunately, finding undestroyed parting-out Bandits are a trek both from their scarcity and distance. Getting genuine is out of the question because it is simply too expensive and will take too long. I will be waiting a year for some basic parts from Suzuki that are on backorder. I have ordered in a second hand fuel tank and left engine cover from Victorian Motorcycle Wreckers (genuine tank would be over $1400) but as for the rest, I plan on stripping it off and trying my best to turn it into a Streetfighter and I am hoping to get some ideas from the forum.

1. Have you guys had any experience with replacing the tacho/speedo? I called around to a few places and the main answer was the German brand Motogadget, which in first glance, will cost well over a grand alone. Do you know if there are any digital dashes that can potentially be plug and play? It appears the stock one is attached to the fairings. Is there a mount for it possible on the frame?

2. Do you know if a front end GSXR will fit nicely with the Bandit 1250 head? Do I need to get a 1000cc or will 750s and 600s fit? I don't plan on replacing it immediately but I think I will eventually to improve the suspension. Or are just replacing the forks possible?

3. Any ideas/tips on LED indicators/headlights will be good! My idea is to place two vertical triple LED lights on the forks (one tilted up and the other, down) and perhaps find a mount to attach the indicators on. Imagine a Honda Grom headlight but for a bike bike and vertical! What do you guys think? It will probably make the bike look pretty 'crashed' and unrefined but it's a streetfighter, not a naked haha.

4. Have you guys had any experience with doing a pillion/subframe delete? Is it illegal? Is it even possible with all the electronics?

As much as I want to pour lots of money into it, I don't have the cash and I reckon even if it looks ugly, there's a pride to full on utility that comes with anything!

Thanks, and let me know thoughts and suggestions you guys have. I am completely open to ideas.

RedBluBerri

Back to top Go down

Stripped 2010 Bandit 1250S Empty Re: Stripped 2010 Bandit 1250S

Post  Chook Fri 18 Nov 2022, 4:58 am

RedBluBerri wrote:Hey guys, new to this forum and can't quite find too much detail about streetfighter bikes. I know the word streetfighter can be ambiguous but I think streetfighter bikes that get seriously custom work just become naked bikes and lose the streetfighter label.

I had a lowside a few months ago and have been looking hard into getting parts. Unfortunately, finding undestroyed parting-out Bandits are a trek both from their scarcity and distance. Getting genuine is out of the question because it is simply too expensive and will take too long. I will be waiting a year for some basic parts from Suzuki that are on backorder. I have ordered in a second hand fuel tank and left engine cover from Victorian Motorcycle Wreckers (genuine tank would be over $1400) but as for the rest, I plan on stripping it off and trying my best to turn it into a Streetfighter and I am hoping to get some ideas from the forum.

1. Have you guys had any experience with replacing the tacho/speedo? I called around to a few places and the main answer was the German brand Motogadget, which in first glance, will cost well over a grand alone. Do you know if there are any digital dashes that can potentially be plug and play? It appears the stock one is attached to the fairings. Is there a mount for it possible on the frame?

2. Do you know if a front end GSXR will fit nicely with the Bandit 1250 head? Do I need to get a 1000cc or will 750s and 600s fit? I don't plan on replacing it immediately but I think I will eventually to improve the suspension. Or are just replacing the forks possible?

Do a search on here, I'm pretty sure there is at least one or two threads dedicated to this

3. Any ideas/tips on LED indicators/headlights will be good! My idea is to place two vertical triple LED lights on the forks (one tilted up and the other, down) and perhaps find a mount to attach the indicators on. Imagine a Honda Grom headlight but for a bike bike and vertical! What do you guys think? It will probably make the bike look pretty 'crashed' and unrefined but it's a streetfighter, not a naked haha.

Straight from a government Vehicle Standards Bulletin (most states have their version of it on their web site)

Direction indicator lights

All motorcycles, including those fitted with a sidecar, which were manufactured after September 1991, are required to have direction indicators fitted. The bottom of the indicator lights must not be lower than 350 mm nor higher than 1200 mm from the ground.

Front indicators

The front indicators must be symmetrically mounted at least 240 mm (measured from the inside edges) apart, and at least 75 mm from the headlamp.

Rear indicators

The rear indicators must be at least 180 mm apart (measured from the inside edges) and mounted symmetrically. If a sidecar is fitted, the left rear indicator is to be mounted not more than 150 mm in from the left hand outer edge of the sidecar.
If indicators are fitted to your motorcycle they must flash between 45 and 120 times per minute and have either an audible, or visible device, to indicate their operation to the rider.
When on, a direction indicator light must show an amber light and be visible from at least 30 metres from the front and rear of the motorcycle.

4. Have you guys had any experience with doing a pillion/subframe delete? Is it illegal? Is it even possible with all the electronics?

What State are you in? Contact your loacal authority. The compliance plate is affixed to the rear frame, it's up to each jurisdiction to determine what is, and is not permitted re: moving a Compliance plate, same goes for modifications to frames, while one state may allow it, others may not

As much as I want to pour lots of money into it, I don't have the cash and I reckon even if it looks ugly, there's a pride to full on utility that comes with anything!

Thanks, and let me know thoughts and suggestions you guys have. I am completely open to ideas.
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

RedBluBerri likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Fri 18 Nov 2022, 5:00 am

When you get back, jump in the Introduce Yourself thread and let us know a bit about yourself 

Introduce Yourself (forumotion.net)
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  GSX1100G Fri 18 Nov 2022, 3:43 pm

Up at sparrow's this morning chook.

Back to top Go down

Post  rnai034 Mon 21 Nov 2022, 10:49 pm

Check out Hoglights Australia for ADR-compliant LED lights and indicators.

https://hoglights.com.au/collections/suzuki/products/suzuki-sv650-boulevard-led-hoglight

I was able to fit one of these into the stock headlight shroud on my naked bandit and it works really well.

Stripped 2010 Bandit 1250S Img_8513

rnai034

GSX1100G likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  GSX1100G Mon 21 Nov 2022, 10:59 pm

As well as ;
Belly pan led blinkers, USD forks, pipe, rad guard, bar mirrors.
Any other pics?

Back to top Go down

Post  Stan L Mon 21 Nov 2022, 11:19 pm

I once renunited with Mother Earth in an event that sexually remodelled my Bandit's fairing and radiator. Due to anaemic wallet syndrome the bike stood for YEARS until, one sunny day, our local tax thieves ran out of excuses not to give me back some of my own hard-stolen money.

Thus enriched, I got a new radiator on E-Bay. Made in China. Fits perfectly, works perfectly. Cost AU$ 160 instead of the AU$ 600 a genuine one from the local Suzuki importer would then have cost. You can also get plastic fairing sets from China; not sure what makes & models they cover.  

Search new/used parts on E-Bay and similar.

Regards
Stan L
South Africa

Stan L

Back to top Go down

Post  rnai034 Mon 21 Nov 2022, 11:55 pm

GSX1100G wrote:As well as ;
Belly pan  led blinkers, USD forks, pipe, rad guard, bar mirrors.
Any other pics?

There were just a few modifications...

The only other photo I have on my computer is this one:

Stripped 2010 Bandit 1250S Img_8514

Bringing it back to my compliance journey - the only other advice I had RE: lights and indicators were ones with E marking to indicate ECE compliance was acceptable.

Fitting generic LED indicators was a bit of a stuff around and required some brackets like these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/282840975398?hash=item41daa2c826:g:6oMAAOSwuTxWALUs
You'll need to fit resistors or change the relay for the indicators to work properly.

RE: Front end swap from a GSXR - Mine is from a 2014 Hayabusa (though I believe a GSXR 1000 uses the same forks). I took the following path:

• Custom yokes (though I have seen instances where people have used Hayabusa yokes, but pressed the Bandit stem into them). I had mine made in the UK by Billet Bike Bits, but I reckon you could get a stepped triple clamp from Extreme Creations and save the fork extensions I got.
    https://www.billetbikebits.com
    https://www.extremecreations.com.au/front-end-conversion

• Hayabusa forks with 75mm extensions (you can go with 50mm, but I found them a touch too short for my liking):
    https://www.extremecreations.com.au/fork-extensions-50mm-75mm

• Hayabusa front wheel (fits the Bandit tire, never checked if it was the same though), axle, and spacers

• The ABS ring sensor and brake rotors were the same size as the Bandit (I was able to modify the bracket on the Bandit ABS sensor to poke it through the hole in the Hayabusa to bolt it in along with a plastic spacer)

• I got lucky and scored some Brembo radial calipers (they needed some spacers though - Extreme creations can help). I also replaced the master cylinder with a Brembo RCS19

• The GSXR 1000 front fender looks better than the Hayabusa one - I then fibreglassed the top of the Bandit one onto mine when I re-painted

Compliance took a bit of effort but wasn't too painful. Working with my certifier, we were able to demonstrate the suspension and brake changes were ok since the front brakes were more or less the same as another road legal bike, and we got away with doing an abridged brake test rather than the full test which would have meant hiring a suitable testing venue (very expensive)

There's probably a fair bit of stuffing around on the little stuff to make everything fit - happy to get more photos of specific things / try to remember and explain better what I did.

rnai034

Back to top Go down

Post  SRAD_Pitt Tue 06 Dec 2022, 9:24 pm

I've done a couple of front end swaps - forks, yokes, etc from a gsx1400 into a GS1000 and the same from a zx12r into a zx6r(!). Yeah, it was my 2nd bike.

One recommendation I can make is to consider the weight of the bike that the forks originally came from vs the weight of the bike they're going into, a gsxr front will be undersprung, whereas the 'busa one is designed for a similarly hefty bike.

Another recommendation is to get onto the allballs website. They're a bearing manufacturer and they have a LOT of info about headstock bearing sizes for bikes. You want your outer diameter to fit your bandit bearing seats and the inner diameter to fit the donor stem. Getting the right size bearings is half the battle, then you have to consider the length of the stem... Or you can get the bandit stem pressed into your donor bottom yoke.

Your state might have particular laws that could impact modifying the subframe, for example I think that Vic stipulates that your rear guard must cover a certain amount of the rear tyre or some BS
SRAD_Pitt
SRAD_Pitt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down