Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No power!

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

No power! Empty No power!

Post  allambiejohn Sun 20 Mar 2022, 8:33 pm

My bike was out in the elements and unused for three weeks whilst I was stuck in the UK with covid ( I had not planned being away that long!).  On my return I found the battery had died so replaced it and all seemed Ok, the bike starts and idles - but will not rev past idle.  I have drained the tank and changed the fuel thinking it may be contaminated - but no joy.  It was fine when I left it!  It will idle happily indefinitely - but as soon as the throttle is twisted it dies.  Any ideas?
allambiejohn
allambiejohn

Back to top Go down

No power! Empty further details

Post  allambiejohn Mon 21 Mar 2022, 1:00 pm

So it starts easily, Idles happily but dies when the revs hit 3000.  If I keep the choke engaged it will rev slightly higher and then die at 4,000 revs, if I release the throttle it goes back to happily idling.... Completely nuts!
allambiejohn
allambiejohn

Back to top Go down

No power! Empty Re: No power!

Post  gus Mon 21 Mar 2022, 10:11 pm

Not really , sounds like its not getting enough fuel . Check out fuel pump fix  on forum .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

No power! Empty Re: no power

Post  allambiejohn Tue 22 Mar 2022, 1:51 pm

I didn't know my 2004 GS1200S even had a fuel pump. I thought it was simple gravity fed carbs..... Where would the pump be? For what its worth I had the fuel cock off to check the filter - it was as clean as a whistle.
allambiejohn
allambiejohn

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 22 Mar 2022, 2:36 pm

Sorry ,your right 2004 is gravity fed  so rule out fuel pump . Still sounds like fuel . Try draining the four carb bowls . (screws under bowls ) One turn should do . Check the fuel hose isnt pinched or kinked, or kinks as tank is lowered . Sounds like its getting enough fuel to idle but not enough for main jets to kick in .Also check vacume hose to tap .Does it have a prime position on tap . Try running it on Prime .
gus
gus

Chook likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  allambiejohn Tue 22 Mar 2022, 3:33 pm

Thanks Gus,

I tried running it on prime yesterday - no joy.  It does have a much thinner tube attached to the fuel tap - is that the vacuum hose?  How do I check it? I though the fuel only flowed if there was a vacuum or on prime. When I took the tank off, fuel seemed to flow out erratically when in RES or FUEL. If I get home in daylight, I'll have  a look this evening!  The bus to work is so sloooooow.....

Last edited by allambiejohn on Tue 22 Mar 2022, 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
allambiejohn
allambiejohn

Back to top Go down

Post  allambiejohn Tue 22 Mar 2022, 7:17 pm

No power! Fuelco10

This from the drain of Carb#1 may be part of the problem - what is that pink stuff?  Carb#2 had some bits in it and drained continuously - even when the tap was on main.  Carbs#3&4 were all clear.  I spilled some petrol over the starter motor so will wait an hour or so before cranking her up!
allambiejohn
allambiejohn

Back to top Go down

No power! Empty All Fixed!

Post  allambiejohn Tue 22 Mar 2022, 8:45 pm

Draining the float bowls certainly did the trick. Thanks Gus.  Back to running normally thank goodness and no more buses!
allambiejohn
allambiejohn

Back to top Go down

No power! Empty not again

Post  allambiejohn Wed 13 Apr 2022, 2:14 pm

Shenanigans started again this morning.  Got a few minutes from home on the way to work when it dies at traffic lights.  It took a loooong time before it would catch and start up again.  I decided to divert to the mechanic and keep the revs above 3500 the whole way. Almost made it, but had to push the damn thing the last 500m.  That is a lot of bike to push and I was knackered!  Will let you know the diagnosis when I get the call.  It has been many, many years since I have had a bike die on me like that. Idly thinking whether it is time for a change....
allambiejohn
allambiejohn

Back to top Go down

Post  GSX1100G Fri 15 Apr 2022, 12:50 pm

Tank filter was clean, so what was that pink stuff & where did ot come from ??.
Fuel tank vent clear?

Back to top Go down

No power! Empty All fixed!

Post  allambiejohn Tue 26 Apr 2022, 1:46 pm

Got the bike back from the  crew at APW Motorcycles today.  The float bowls were contaminated with rust, cleaned and refitted all jets, replaced  carby #3 float needle which was leaking petrol into the cyclinder head and the oil was contaminated.  All good now!  It sounds like it is running on all four cylinders and less like a lawn mower, so a big improvement !  Goodbye buses!
allambiejohn
allambiejohn

GSX1100G likes this post

Back to top Go down

No power! Empty and the problem is back....

Post  allambiejohn Sat 09 Jul 2022, 6:08 pm

So now the problem is slowly coming back.  When on choke it runs rough and there is no stable revs, one second its at 1100 rpm the next @ 3000 or it may go to 700 and stall -  and the smallest of choke lever changes flips from 1100 to 2500rpm.  The engine now takes an age to be reliable and choke can be closed off completely. When it eventually does warm up enough (>15 minutes!), it runs and idles perfectly.  So its a bit of a handful at low revs for the first 15 minutes as you don't know how much power you are going to have - I have to pull the clutch when filtering or going around mini roundabouts as I had the damn thing stall on me when filtering the other day which was not a happy moment.  I suspect it may be a vacuum leak  - but how would I know?
allambiejohn
allambiejohn

Back to top Go down

No power! Empty What do the 'Carb hose to Tee Connectors' do ?

Post  allambiejohn Sun 10 Jul 2022, 1:20 pm

'Cos I aint got them! I recall there used to be at least one clear hose running either side of the air box - but now:

You can just see the clear hose and connector down amongst the carbs:

No power! Screen11

but !

No power! Screen10

Is this meant to be connected to something ?
allambiejohn
allambiejohn

Back to top Go down

Post  GSX1100G Mon 11 Jul 2022, 9:35 am

Where does the other end of the clear hose go ?
What does APW say re hose & running like it is?

Back to top Go down

Post  rd400f Mon 11 Jul 2022, 11:51 am

No power! 1200_p10
No power! 1200_p11

rd400f

Back to top Go down

No power! Empty absence of hoses!

Post  allambiejohn Tue 12 Jul 2022, 1:15 pm

No hoses from the two spigots under the tank either !
allambiejohn
allambiejohn

Back to top Go down

Post  allambiejohn Tue 12 Jul 2022, 1:17 pm

No power! OdNOqvpzg2FO+f1QKuXgtfAx6D7X7B25E81U9c7Q9uFw7rBc3khWzS8a9xAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC
allambiejohn
allambiejohn

Back to top Go down

Post  allambiejohn Tue 12 Jul 2022, 1:22 pm

So in the above diagram it looks like there is an 'enrichment plunger' at the front of each carb. These would be operated by the sliding bar across the front of the carbs connected to the choke lever cable.  Problem on my bike is only the plunger on carby #1 moves.  It is difficult to see but it looks like all the other three plungers stay depressed and dont move.  If this is the case I would need to remove the carbs to get to them. I dont have a garage and I am not sure the boss will appreciate a motorcycle carcass on her covered front porch.  Is removing the carbs a weekend project  and are there any o rings or similar I will need to replace ? I would want to get them before starting this.  Of course, if there is only one active plunger anyway I am OK.  Does anyone know?
allambiejohn
allambiejohn

Back to top Go down

No power! Empty bigger image

Post  allambiejohn Tue 12 Jul 2022, 1:28 pm

No power! Screen11
allambiejohn
allambiejohn

Back to top Go down

Post  GSX1100G Tue 12 Jul 2022, 7:30 pm

Would be 4 choke/enrichment plungers. Had all 4 stuck on 1 of my bikes, couldn't free them on bike, once off it took only minutes to free them, hours to R& R.
First up leave them on & give them a good spray with degreaser, then have a beer or a coffee. Then try to move them a little bit at a time. Be gentle.
May need a 2nd or 3rd spray & choice of beverage.
WD or similar if they move.
If not, it's bullet biting time. The plunger piston itself is just a snug fit, (Pic does say " do not reuse" $2.15 O ring part 38 in mick honest suzuki parts carby pic).

Back to top Go down

No power! Empty Carb removal

Post  allambiejohn Wed 13 Jul 2022, 12:47 pm

Thanks for that. As I have the place to myself this weekend (which means I can work inside the house!) I am going to go for it.  I have ordered the O rings Express post from Mick H (just in case) and hopefully they will arrive by Saturday.    I'll take some photos as I progress. What can possibly go wrong?  Whilst I am there I'll probably take the opportunity to replace the missing hoses.  So long as the smell of fuel / solvents / gin is gone from the kitchen by Monday when the boss returns I should be OK.
allambiejohn
allambiejohn

Back to top Go down

Post  GSX1100G Wed 13 Jul 2022, 1:26 pm

Remove tank outside, drain bowls outside too.
I know that smell, went remove battery the other day in garage. Unbolted everything, lifted the tank a little- not enough - just little more 😲🤬😲🤬 fuel lines pulled off the tank !!!. Lost about 500ml before I got my fingers in position to block the lines & be able to lift tank off bike. Mopped it up with rags but the fumes in the place that night 🙄

Back to top Go down

No power! Empty plaudit for Mick Hone

Post  allambiejohn Thu 14 Jul 2022, 2:42 pm

Odered the O rings over the phone yesterday and they arrived in my post box 25hrs later.  One less thing to worry about.
allambiejohn
allambiejohn

Back to top Go down

Post  allambiejohn Mon 18 Jul 2022, 6:52 pm

So I took the plunge and removed the carbs over the weekend. First task take a photo of the cable layout. The carbs came off surprisingly easily, but I found it easier disconnect one of the throttle cables at the handgrip.  

No power! Screen12

Here is the tank off to make sure all the cables etc go back in same place later..
No power! Screen15
Here they are, so far so good and thanks GSX for the tip about draining them first! When I took them apart, first thing I noticed before unscrewing anything was that the piston valve was sticking on carb#3 - it really didnt want to move. So I took out the diaphragm and gave everything a good clean using carb cleaner.  The slider valve did appear to have some grit but once cleaned moved as smoothly as al the others. Then I removed each float bowl, all very clean, but the float in carb #2 was noticeably higher than al the others. it is the blurry one in the distance:
No power! Screen13
reset it, cleaned all the jets (didnt touch the mixture) and re-assembled. All other carbs were cleaned and all heights OK.  Put evertything back together, including replacing the missing vent hoses etc (they are there for some reason, right?).  The trickiest part was reconnecting the throttle cables! Come the moment of truth, to my amazement she started first time and sounded great. Out for  a test drive and all good. The throttle twist grip had too much slack and I had forgotten to replace the tank gauge connector.  Both easy fixes.  Does she sound better? I think so, much more even on idle with none of the random increases and decreases in idle speed.  Phew!

Last edited by allambiejohn on Mon 18 Jul 2022, 6:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
allambiejohn
allambiejohn

Back to top Go down

No power! Empty one last thing

Post  allambiejohn Mon 18 Jul 2022, 6:55 pm

Oh, - and the choke plungers all worked fine! I just couldn't see them without taking the carbs off.  One of the big hose clamps from the airbox was missing and the inlets were a bit cruddy so I wondered whether they were 100% air tight. So I took the opportunity of cleaning them to make a much smoother seal surface for the engine side hose / clamp.
allambiejohn
allambiejohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next