Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extended Pillion Foot Pegs

3 posters

Go down

Extended Pillion Foot Pegs Empty Extended Pillion Foot Pegs

Post  LeonW Tue 15 Mar 2022, 2:55 pm

When we bought our used 2008 Bandit recently, my wife complained that her feet were too high and said that she became very uncomfortable after only a few kms.  This is a product of modern motorcycle design where they insist that the pillion sit in the gynaecological position. Alternatively, designers may only have partners who are dual amputees. Anyway, I got to  thinking about a solution because I am firmly of the opinion that a happy wife = happy motorcycling.

I fabricated pillion footpeg extensions from stainless square tube 20mm x 20mm x 2mm x 100 mm long.

Inserted  square aluminium bar (approx 18 x 18 x 80 mm) inside stainless square tube and screwed them together to create a mounting onto original clevis.

On RHS I made a small heat shield to protect my wife's boot heel from melting on the muffler. (or to protect the muffler from melted boot heel)

Made up some tabs to mount foot pegs and reinforced the left hand side because that's where the weight goes when the pillion mounts the bike.

The whole process took me a couple of days of fiddling around in the workshop. None of it was very difficult once I got the basic layout. I had some scrap material that I used so cost was minimal. They're very much a prototype and not real pretty, but we've done about 3,000kms now including some long days and I've had no complaints. 
Conclusion: happy wife.

Extended Pillion Foot Pegs Left_p11
Extended Pillion Foot Pegs Left_p10
Extended Pillion Foot Pegs Right_10

Regards
Leon

LeonW

Back to top Go down

Extended Pillion Foot Pegs Empty Re: Extended Pillion Foot Pegs

Post  barry_mcki Wed 16 Mar 2022, 10:59 pm

Great idea Leon.

I was thinking that a couple more sets of holes drilled through the square bar, and a square hole at the bottom of the tube fitting for the bar to slide through, you could easily make these adjustable.  The tube could slide up or down the bar to suit the required height.  might need to make the tube a little shorter to get a better range of sizes.

Extended Pillion Foot Pegs Mod_to10

Extended Pillion Foot Pegs Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Extended Pillion Foot Pegs Empty Extended pillion foot pegs on GSF 1250S

Post  LeonW Thu 17 Mar 2022, 7:49 am

Good thinking Barry,
passengers come in different heights so adjustability would be useful for someone who carries various passengers or if they were to be produced commercially. The extent of adjustment may be limited on rhs by the muffler.

Mine are nominally 100 mm which gets my wife's feet below hip level which seems to be the critical factor.

I was also thinking that a smarter looking version would have mushroom head pins with a circlip like the original Suzuki ones. I think the set screws look a bit clunky but are effective for first version.

I also noticed a bit of melted boot on my muffler. Next version will need a re designed heat shield.

Cheers
Leon

LeonW

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Fri 18 Mar 2022, 1:19 am

I used to have problems with burning boot heels  and polyester trouser legs from touching the muffler.  When I changed to the carbon fibre R77 Yoshimura I can now touch the muffler with my bare hand and not get burnt.  The link pipe that comes with it also has a protection guard.

Extended Pillion Foot Pegs Yoshi_10
Extended Pillion Foot Pegs Img_1315

Extended Pillion Foot Pegs Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sat 19 Mar 2022, 9:00 pm

Good job however if the OEM kept my ex off the bike, I would have left them alone  Laughing
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down