Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Motorcycle specific GPS

3 posters

Go down

Motorcycle specific GPS Empty Motorcycle specific GPS

Post  Chook Sat 24 Jul 2021, 8:26 pm

Coupled with a $25 waterproof holder (replaced once) I've used a Garmin that I bought nearly 10 years ago on special because it was an old model for around $100

I have looked at motorcycle specific GP units on and off for the same period, are they worth the extra $$$$?

I can only see 2 advantages, can use with gloves on, Bluetooth to my helmet

What brands have others used?  Pro's/Cons of each one?
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Motorcycle specific GPS Empty Re: Motorcycle specific GPS

Post  barry_mcki Sun 25 Jul 2021, 12:16 am

Motorcycle specific GPS Img_9910

The Garmin Zumo 660 on the left was bought about 10 years ago and is still going strong, good daytime brightness, easy to use, display can show different data that is changeable, totally weather proof and also comes with a car mount that automatically changes settings between bike mode and car mode.  It can bluetooth to two different items, such as your phone and your headset at the same time.  This model has lifetime updates on maps and there are also links for setting up safety cameras etc.  I've got it mounted in a Touratech security mount, this was more for piece of mind that the $800 GPS didn't accidently fall out of it's cradle.

The circular thing on the right is the UK Beeline GPS, essentially it is setup on a smartphone prior to a trip, then gives turn by turn (visual only) information.  It does not need an internet data link as the route has already been preloaded during setup, just needs a bluetooth connection to your phone.  It has a compass mode as well, you preprogram your destination and it will point to where it is, this mode allow you to go down different roads and tracks as you wish so is a more "adventurist" type of navigation.  The smartphone app does not use Google Maps, but something with a similar look and feel.  If you wanted a GPS but didn't want to spoil the minimist look of your ride this would be an ideal accessory.

And for all the gadget nay sayers out there, the Givi tank bag in the lower middle of screen has a clear panel on top to through in your 2d analog paper map/back of coaster directions.

Bike capable GPS's are usually not cheap, it seems making things water and shock proof tends to be a bit more expensive than if it was to be in the more luxurious confines of a car.

Motorcycle specific GPS Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sun 25 Jul 2021, 9:44 am

Barry

What mount are you using for the Beeline?

It come with the "universal strap" mount or the sticky pad mount, all of the reviews I've jus watched suggest that the rubber band "universal strap" mount is sufficient

The optional bar clamp mount looks far more secure to me, that's another AU$58 added to the AU$298 purchase price for the unit (if you want black, otherwise AU$398), total $356

I can remember having a brief look at your on either the Parkes meet, Philip Island meet  or when you were here for the military group meet but didn't really understand it until I just watched a couple of YouTube reviews.

I really like it's simplicity and the fact it is very unobtrusive on the bars. I'd probably be content with just adding an end destination to my old car Garmin that still works fine and have the whole daily route loaded onto this

If 2 people wanted one it is also available as a twin pack with 2 of all inclusions for AU$551 saving each person $22.50

The only issue I see with the Beeline is that it requires connectivity to your phone (and the phone requires connectivity) to send it reroute instructions  if you take a wrong turn, if you lose phone signal, you lose the reroute function

My biggest issue with my current GPS is that I can only load 1 via point at a time and it has no blue tooth, to replace that with one that doe both a well is nearly as much as a bike GPS

Do I spend $356 to add this to my current GPS?

Do I spend $500 + on a car GPS which other than waterproof and vibration resistant i no different to many car GPS for much less (my 10yo Garmin has had no vibration issues in 10 years and probably at least 40,000km in a waterproof mount)?

Do I just keep what I have?
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Sun 25 Jul 2021, 10:19 am

I've got a ton of Ram mount fittings, so to get a good viewing location I used a hollow ball/bolt into one of the brake master cylinder clamps and then a small double ball clamp.  I bought the Beeline Ram mount so it all goes together pretty neatly.

Motorcycle specific GPS 20210711
Motorcycle specific GPS 20210712

I haven't had an issue with the re-route, I'll have to try it out to see what it does.  The Beeline is very software centric, so if it was a big issue I'm sure their would be an easy fix by just downloading the area may into the app instead of just the "simple" waypoint instructions.

Not sure how many via points the Zumo allows.

Motorcycle specific GPS Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sun 25 Jul 2021, 4:06 pm

I've had 4 motorcycle GPS in the past
First one was a secondhand TomTom Rider Series 2. Great unit, only got rid of it because after several years the battery wouldn't hold charge and a new replacement didn't fix the problem. It also cost $50/year to update the map.
I then bought a Garmin, Took it out of the box and then sent it back! Too any wires you have to use even if you don't want the extra features. Plus it would have required a huge hole in the bike to route the wires through the plastic under the screen.
Shop sent me a TomTom rider 400. Now with free lifetime updates. The one I was having issues with in Sydney. That was a fault of a corrupt map that they had released just prior to that trip. After a new map was installed all was good, for many years. Until the day of Kim's accident. The unit drowned 20mins prior to her accident. So much for being waterproof
Kim has a TomTom rider 550 mounted on her bike. As a naked bike the GPS sits out in the open and so far it is still ok. It even survived the crash.
I replaced my drowned 400 with a new 550 as they are physically the same and use the same mount. The 550 only differs in the software, now having wifi I can update it without removing it from the bike. Last couple of rides on cold days and I can see the screen fogging up on the inside. I think this one will drown too eventually

The BMW factory GPS is essentially a Garmin unit. Price when I enquired was nearly $1300 Shocked Some people love them and some hate the way the software works.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down