Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Combat condensation on your bike

3 posters

Go down

Combat condensation on your bike Empty Combat condensation on your bike

Post  Ironman Mon 05 Apr 2021, 2:06 pm

Hello everyone.
I'm writing this in the hope it may help others here.
Problem...
When the air temp vary wildly between 30°c daytime and down to 5°c or below just before sunrise I've noticed my bikes and other valuable things "sweating" once I open the shed door first thing am.
On bikes with chrome, thus presents a major headache as this can pit the metal surface.
Anyway, long story short I'm attempting to reduce or eliminate this from occurring.
Tjismornings my bikes looked like they had been in a rain storm but we're under covers in the shed.
I've set up a timer to run a fan heater for 4 hours placed pretty much as central to the bikes as I can. I'll try the heat setting on low first.
Just need the metal to stay above ambient outside air temp until things stabilise at around 10 or 11am.
It may cost me $ in energy but i can't justify the $$$$ asking for those cocoon positive pressure covers that are available.
Temps in my region can drop to -8.0°C in winter and snow falls from time to time. Let's see how it goes.

I've tried WD40 spraying liberally over everything n the bike and that does seem to work but can be messy and the moisture mixes with the light oil left on the surface and turns white.
Probably not a great thing.

Shed is single skin colorbond and is ventilated to a point due to its design and construction.
Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Combat condensation on your bike Empty Re: Combat condensation on your bike

Post  GSX1100G Mon 05 Apr 2021, 8:16 pm

Try "Damp rid" from woolies or Bunnings ,or, a dehumidifier 2nd hand.
My old shed I lined with an aluminium air bubble foil, bought through eBay. Glued straight to wall didn't worry about air gap and worked quiet well. Temp -8 to 44.

Ironman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironman Thu 08 Apr 2021, 5:22 pm

Issue isn't about trapped moisture, rather the dew point and what happens when metal surfaces are below the dew point temperature... condensation forms.
So far, it's all working. No condensation found in the mornings inside the shed.

Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Post  stevemcc Fri 16 Apr 2021, 11:39 am

And when the fork tubes are pitted its too late! Is quite expensive to buy new ones or have them rechromed. I am going through this as the seals have been damaged from the rust pits and are leaking - so rechroming mine and new seals going in once they come back.

I found this happened when I used to live in Darwin where things were very humid no matter what I did. Crying or Very sad
stevemcc
stevemcc

Ironman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironman Fri 16 Apr 2021, 4:46 pm

I have an old R80 waiting in QLD. At present it's fork tubes are coated in Vaseline until I can retrieve it. The rest of it had a liberal application of WD40 when I last inspected it.
To see what 16 years has done to the bike makes me sad. 20 years ago it was a full bare metal restoration. It was a Sunday rider for 4 years then parked in a shed since. Humidity is slowly ruining it. Rubber perishes, paint doesn't like it, tanks rust inside, uncoated alloy grows a powdery surface, and that's just on the owner!

Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironman Fri 16 Apr 2021, 4:56 pm

https://i.servimg.com/u/f28/19/57/85/94/20210311.jpg

Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content