Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Slight misshap at Eastern Creek ...

+2
Stan L
paul
6 posters

Go down

Slight misshap at Eastern Creek ... Empty Slight misshap at Eastern Creek ...

Post  allambiejohn Sun 31 Jan 2021, 4:02 pm

I had a track day yesterday at Sydney Motorsports Park. First time ever. awful weather (heavy drizzle) but great fun. Anyway on my third session I had a bit of a misshap as I overtook others on a bend.   Don't remember quite what happened at turn #5 ( I think my rear wheel slid out from underneath me), off I came - all I remember is sparks, sky, tarmac, somersault and a deep sense of embarrassment and fear that this I may lose the leathers rental deposit. Luckily I was on the outside of the turn so well clear of other riders.  The session was red flagged and the recovery operation was very rapid.  I ended up with a small bruise on my hip but alas the bike was a bit worse off.  Worst of all the slide had ground through the signal generator cover - so the bike was unrideable ($200 for us both to get home!).  I now have a restoration project on my hands, most of the damage is cosmetic. I dont think any big bits of metal disappeared in to the bottom of the crankcasing, but the screw holding the wire from the signal stator plate into the engine case had been ripped out and the threads are stripped. I cant find the part number anywhere, you can see the loose end in the photo - what is the thing the cable attaches to?  Probably cant salvage the RH fairing, so will keep an eye out in breakers yards etc.  Where might I the screen replaced ? It did have a label but that bit of screen has gone.  I know I am lucky to walk away from what could have been very nasty as I think I was doing about 60k but I want to get the bike back on the road now that working from home is less essential.

Slight misshap at Eastern Creek ... Img_4213
Slight misshap at Eastern Creek ... Img_4214
Slight misshap at Eastern Creek ... Img_4215
allambiejohn
allambiejohn

Back to top Go down

Slight misshap at Eastern Creek ... Empty Re: Slight misshap at Eastern Creek ...

Post  paul Sun 31 Jan 2021, 9:22 pm

Lucky ..............if that can be used as the right word .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Slight misshap at Eastern Creek ... Empty Re: Slight misshap at Eastern Creek ...

Post  allambiejohn Mon 01 Feb 2021, 12:52 pm

Lucky or incredibly stupid, a whole lot of both I think.  Anyhow I think the connector is for the oil pressure switch - but this is proving tricky to resource! If anyone has any 1200s bandit fairing panels knocking around I am in the market (especially of blue!) and a white tail section......
allambiejohn
allambiejohn

Back to top Go down

Post  GSX1100G Mon 01 Feb 2021, 1:29 pm

Glad you're OK.
Maybe hunt around for some crash bars too.

rodent4 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Stan L Mon 08 Feb 2021, 5:58 pm

The Eleventh Commandment; You shall not beat yourself up. S*** happens.

Go onto E Bay. I got a radiator for the equivalent of AUD$ 180; would cost $800 as a Suzuki part. The rad is a pirate but it fits perfectly. I've done a good few thousand km with it; not the slightest hint of any problem. I've seen clutch covers and the like on E Bay, too. 

Note: if the E Bay item is on auction, submit your bid and IGNORE subsequent e mail notifications telling you your bid has been topped. I ceased responding to invitations to top the (alleged) most recent bid. I let the deadline pass. A day or two later I got a mail inviting me to buy the radiator for the last price I had bid.  

Re the screen, you can get top quality aftermarkets from Givi/Kappa (same product), Powerbronze, Puig and other makes.

To cold-weld plastics, hold the bits together, dribble bicarbonate of soda (US: baking soda) into the crack, and add superglue. If you want to colour the bicarb black or grey, grind charcoal into it before adding it to the cracked/broken part.

To get the decals, Google SUZUKI BANDIT DECALS, and either buy them on the Net or send the graphic to a graphic firm and tell them to reproduce it for you. I did that and they made them in super-thick vinyl. 

Sraypainting: something I only thunk of after the event, and I don't know if this is feasible, so you'll only learn by asking, is to ask a graphics firm (in the old days we used to call them signwriters) about making you a wrap. In other words, instead of spraypainting the fairing parts, you plastic-wrap them.

The engine: drain the oil and examine it carefully. Look for grit in the oil. If there's any evidence of grit do an engine flush. I've flushed engines on cars but never bikes and I'm not much of a spanner so speak to a real mechanic first. 

Regards
Stan L
South Africa

Stan L

truck likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  allambiejohn Sat 13 Feb 2021, 5:53 pm

Cheers Stan,

I drained the remaining oil and it was as a clear as a bell, replaced the cover and filled her up OK. Its back on the road now - all the remaining damage is cosmetic, so it looks great on the left hand side and a complete dog on the right. No luck with a 2nd hand fairing panel so I ordered new (12 week delivery time!). New screen from Germany with a similar delivery time.  The remaining fix is the scrape on the seat plastic cover, tat I can tackle but I need to find the paint code. Luckily the decal with cover a lot of the area.   God bless Stayintune exhausts - it took a hell of a clattering and is badly dented but kept its integrity. I'll post a photo in 3 months time when its fixed.
allambiejohn
allambiejohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Stan L Sat 13 Feb 2021, 6:05 pm

allambiejohn wrote:  God bless Stayintune exhausts - it took a hell of a clattering and is badly dented but kept its integrity. I'll post a photo in 3 months time when its fixed.

Maybe someone can make you a carbon fibre or aluminium sleeve to cover it.

Stan L

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Tue 16 Feb 2021, 7:34 pm

Stan L wrote:
allambiejohn wrote:  God bless Stayintune exhausts - it took a hell of a clattering and is badly dented but kept its integrity. I'll post a photo in 3 months time when its fixed.

Maybe someone can make you a carbon fibre or aluminium sleeve to cover it.
They can be stainless wrapped
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  GSX1100G Wed 17 Feb 2021, 8:39 am

don't cover the scars, gives it character and cred for the next track day 👍

Back to top Go down

Post  stevemcc Wed 17 Feb 2021, 9:41 pm

Came off my GSX a few months ago. Was able to source a new cowling from Kessner Motorcycles in Adelaide for about $400 new - and the right colour.Slight misshap at Eastern Creek ... 20201113
Slight misshap at Eastern Creek ... 20201114
Slight misshap at Eastern Creek ... 20201115
stevemcc
stevemcc

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Thu 18 Feb 2021, 7:06 am

Kessner's are very good, we've only got them and Peter Stealers left as Suzuki dealers in Adelaide, otherwise it's either an hour to Victor Harbor or Murray Bridge
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Slight misshap at Eastern Creek ... Empty Thats Better!

Post  allambiejohn Tue 04 May 2021, 1:04 pm

Pretty much done now - just need to give the exhaust a polish and I'm done, poorer, but done!Slight misshap at Eastern Creek ... Goodbi10
allambiejohn
allambiejohn

GSX1100G and Stan L like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Tue 04 May 2021, 1:07 pm

allambiejohn wrote:Pretty much done now - just need to give the exhaust a polish and I'm done, poorer, but done!
There are places that will wrap your exhaust in stainless and make it look like new
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down