Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

rivet link endless chain v masterlink chain

+9
reddog
Baz
Dekenai
paul
Kaupy1962
Sloth_27
kewwig
madmax
Chuckster
13 posters

Go down

rivet link endless chain v masterlink chain Empty rivet link endless chain v masterlink chain

Post  Chuckster Tue 22 Jan 2013, 1:50 pm

I need to change the chain and both sprockets on my bike. It has done nearly 50,000 klm. The manual for my bike says "[i]Never install a masterlink type chain[/i]". Cost of genuine parts alone are $90 for both sprockets and $320 for the "continuous" chain. Does anyone have any idea whether the caution is reasonably based (ie., should I only use this) or if you can use a linked chain. I prefer a masterlink chain because it is cheaper.

Chuckster

Back to top Go down

rivet link endless chain v masterlink chain Empty Re: rivet link endless chain v masterlink chain

Post  madmax Tue 22 Jan 2013, 3:18 pm

I've heard of masterlink chains failing. That is the link comes apart - scary thought!

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

rivet link endless chain v masterlink chain Empty Re: rivet link endless chain v masterlink chain

Post  kewwig Tue 22 Jan 2013, 3:32 pm

Happened to me. In the middle of nowhere. Ruined my alternator wiring. I will never use a link again
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Sloth_27 Tue 22 Jan 2013, 9:37 pm

Less than $400 for consumable parts that last 50,000km seems pretty reasonable to me. It's a big motor with a lot of torque, hardly worth the risk of a masterlink chain.
Sloth_27
Sloth_27

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaupy1962 Tue 22 Jan 2013, 11:00 pm

Spend the extra $ and get a rivet link chain mate. the cost of failure could be in the 1000's
Kaupy1962
Kaupy1962

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Tue 22 Jan 2013, 11:49 pm

You don't need to go OEM. a good quality after market rivet link chain ( e.g DID ) & aftermarket sprockets ( e.g JT ) are just fine ( & easier to fit than OEM continuous chains )Probably easiest if you also buy a chain breaker / riveter tool as well.
I personally wouldn't use a master link chain on a large bike like the bandit .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Wed 23 Jan 2013, 12:50 pm

I have been told that there is no difference in the strength of clip versus press fit masterlinks. For my 2c, I would go with the press fit as they are much easier to get right. If you overdrive the link plate the clip will not be butted up agaist it and THEN they come off very easily. I think the original question was continous vs linked and my response would be to go riveted masterlink.
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  Baz Wed 23 Jan 2013, 2:05 pm

When I had my GPZ900R I always used a clip type chain, not for any reason other than they were easy to put on and I didn't need an angle grinder to get a chain off the bike. I never had a problem, never and back then I don't think I looked after the chain as a whole very well either, but never had a problem.
The only time a problem will arise is if it isn't clipped in home against the link plate.
Its a case of "that'll be good enough" not being very good at all.
On my Suzuki's I used riveted chains but had them fitted by a dealer.

Kawa GPZ900R
Hyo GV650 Aquila
GSF1250SA Bandit
GSX1250FA
currently BMW R1200RT
Baz
Baz

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Wed 23 Jan 2013, 3:18 pm

Go riveted. Disco Frank on ASB wrote his old FZ6 off when his link failed and it punched a hole int he crankcase. Not only did it write his bike off, but the two bikes behind him went down on the oil and coolant that his bike dropped too. All up probably $30K of damage
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  holdenman Wed 23 Jan 2013, 4:09 pm

ive never had a issue with master links but on the bandit i used the rivet.

i carry a masterlink under the seat just incase

2007 Bandit 1250S
holdenman
holdenman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sloth_27 Wed 23 Jan 2013, 6:38 pm

reddog wrote:Go riveted. Disco Frank on ASB wrote his old FZ6 off when his link failed and it punched a hole int he crankcase. Not only did it write his bike off, but the two bikes behind him went down on the oil and coolant that his bike dropped too. All up probably $30K of damage

Agreed. Bikes regularly come up on motorcycle disposals/auction sites after being written off with a smashed crankcase. Usually caused by letting the chain get way too loose and having it come off...
Sloth_27
Sloth_27

Back to top Go down

Post  geekay007 Tue 29 Jan 2013, 2:18 pm

I've always gone for a rivet link and haven't had any problems. Some guys swear by master link chains, but I wouldn't trust them on anything greater than a 4 stroke 250.

TFi
Arrow full exhaust
Delkevic can
TRE set to 5th gear
Fork Brace
afro
geekay007
geekay007

Back to top Go down

Post  ThatOtherGuy Tue 29 Jan 2013, 4:19 pm

That's expensive for parts, I recently had my whole drive train done with labour for $320. I supplied the chain which cost $160, instead of $260 from the shop (so $420 labour and parts). If you look for a thread I started about 6 weeks ago all the info you need is right there. I tried ordering the sprockets online but couldn't find ones that I was sure were correct so let the shop supply them. Their prices were actually reasonable anyway. If you're in Brisbane, happy to give you the shop's details. This shop is the only one I would ever trust to leave my bike with to work on unsupervised.
ThatOtherGuy
ThatOtherGuy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Tue 29 Jan 2013, 9:36 pm

It states in the owners manual that rivet chains are only to be used, i certainly would not trust a circlip regardless of success of others
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  Chuckster Tue 05 Feb 2013, 2:42 pm

I want to thank you all for your comments - I was going to go with a master-link chain - it was even recommended by my mechanic - but after reading all your posts, I think I will pay the extra for a continuous chain.

Thanks heaps cheers javascript:emoticonp('cheers')

Chuckster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down