Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi - Newbie signing in

+5
2wheelsagain
paul
Ewok1958
Chook
truck
9 posters

Go down

Hi - Newbie signing in Empty Hi - Newbie signing in

Post  MP1 Tue 17 Dec 2019, 10:10 pm

Hi all,

Thought I'd join up after buying a 2013 GSX1250FA about 4 months ago to commute to work for a short term contract.  Now contract has ended and don't need the bike but thought I would see what others were doing with the bandits/FA in the way of upping power, better suspension and brakes. Will make a decision soon to either spend a bit of money on it and keep it or sell it and move to something else.  

Background have been riding bikes for 30 years, lots of dirt bikes, road bikes and about 10 years of club racing.

Mods to the bike so far are hand warmers, phone holder and USB/12V - all handy for going to work in the cold early hours.

Stock suspension is right at the limits for my 95 kg with shock and forks dialled up to max to put me in the correct sag ranges.  Love the low down torque and electric feel of the bike. Love how easy it is in traffic compared to my other bike a Victory Cross Country.

Hi - Newbie signing in 6fng7a10
Cheers
Mark

MP1

Back to top Go down

Hi - Newbie signing in Empty Re: Hi - Newbie signing in

Post  truck Tue 17 Dec 2019, 10:51 pm

Welcome aboard! 
Only mod mine has is a Akroprovic exhaust. I'm not real adventurous when it comes to changing a bikes mechanics. 
Had mine about 14 yrs and almost never an issue cepting the odd flat battery at inopportune times.
truck
truck

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Wed 18 Dec 2019, 11:32 am

Welcome MP1

The GSX/GSF's are a very good all rounder, mod's would depend on what you want from a bike.

The best evaluation I've ever read was they do everything well (not great) and do nothing poorly.

For me, mine has done 8 years of:
- Solo and 2 up touring
- Daily commuting (metro)
- Quick spin through the Adelaide hills

I could have done a suspension upgrade and if had my time again probably would, other than that I'm happy with just a Staintune and Lambswool seat cover
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Wed 18 Dec 2019, 4:54 pm

Hi and welcome MP1. I'm on my second GSF1250S, did 102,000 kms on the first one (2010 model) and replaced it with a 2008 model with only 18,500kms on it (mechanically the same so being 2 years older doesn't make any difference, as I plan to keep it until it has 100,000+ on it. Changing over enabled me to re-use parts, such as my second set of rims, Ohlins rear shock, GPI, and speedo healer. Ideally I'd liked to have bought something lighter, such as a Kawasaki Z900C (the retro model) but funds didn't go that far. The "upgrade" to a lower k bike of the same type was very cost-effective, almost spot on $3k. Here's a pic with the spare rims painted silver.

Hi - Newbie signing in Dscn0515

Both front and read suspension has been modified. Front has 1.0 kg/mm Raceteck springs and some valve tweaking, rear has the Ohlins (bought from the USA when the exchange rate was 1:1). The cornering confidence with the ugraded suspension leaves the stock units for dead (when I picked it up in stock trim I actually stopped on the way home to see if there was something wrong with the suspension, that is how different it was (and bearing in mind my previous Bandit had the same suspension mods this one now has). But I understand from comments other people have made that the front on the GSX is slightly better than the GSF (it wouldf need to be!).

Back to your comment re possible upgrade. There are a lot of great bikes out there these days, since manufacturers (a) started building comfortable and civilised road-going versions of their full-on sports bikes and (b) electronics have allowed multiple levels of traction control, ABS, fuel maps, etc. (Check out the display on the new BMW F900 XR for just how good electronic screens have become on road bikes).  Whether everyone can afford one of the new beasts from the great array on offer is of course up to the individual and spending priorities (we just put a deposit on a brand new $25k camper trailer so maybe I was lucky to even get a "new" Bandit). I think it is a golden period for well-equipped road-going bikes at the moment. Good luck with your decision.  cheers
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Wed 18 Dec 2019, 6:13 pm

Welcome to the forum MP1

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  MP1 Wed 18 Dec 2019, 10:32 pm

Chook wrote:
I could have done a suspension upgrade and if had my time again probably would, other than that I'm happy with just a Staintune and Lambswool seat cover
Thanks Chook, yeah suspension is probably the biggest issue for anyone heavier.  I'm fully wound in on the front sag and put a zip tie around the fork and still had bottomed out just riding around town (probably when testing out the ABS).

MP1

Back to top Go down

Post  MP1 Wed 18 Dec 2019, 10:46 pm

Ewok1958 wrote:
Both front and read suspension has been modified. Front has 1.0 kg/mm Raceteck springs and some valve tweaking, rear has the Ohlins (bought from the USA when the exchange rate was 1:1). The cornering confidence with the ugraded suspension leaves the stock units for dead (when I picked it up in stock trim I actually stopped on the way home to see if there was something wrong with the suspension, that is how different it was (and bearing in mind my previous Bandit had the same suspension mods this one now has). But I understand from comments other people have made that the front on the GSX is slightly better than the GSF (it wouldf need to be!).

Back to your comment re possible upgrade. There are a lot of great bikes out there these days, since manufacturers (a) started building comfortable and civilised road-going versions of their full-on sports bikes and (b) electronics have allowed multiple levels of traction control, ABS, fuel maps, etc. (Check out the display on the new BMW F900 XR for just how good electronic screens have become on road bikes).  Whether everyone can afford one of the new beasts from the great array on offer is of course up to the individual and spending priorities (we just put a deposit on a brand new $25k camper trailer so maybe I was lucky to even get a "new" Bandit). I think it is a golden period for well-equipped road-going bikes at the moment. Good luck with your decision.  cheers
Thanks Ewok1958 for your input.  I agree suspension is key. If I decide to keep the bike I might do a spring and oil upgrade at the front and a Gixxer Shock at the rear with correct spring rate. Don't want to drop too much cash into it unless I'm going to keep the bike for a few years.  Oh that and some sport tyres.  The original tyres are a bit slow turning, oh and maybe a +25mm dog bones  Very Happy. You are 100% in that there is a lot of choice around now and that is my dilemma. Keep this pretty basic but good bike and do it up, or sell and start with a more capable bike.

MP1

Back to top Go down

Post  MP1 Wed 18 Dec 2019, 10:48 pm

paul wrote:Welcome to the forum MP1
Thanks Paul !

MP1

Back to top Go down

Post  MP1 Wed 18 Dec 2019, 10:48 pm

truck wrote:Welcome aboard! 
Only mod mine has is a Akroprovic exhaust. I'm not real adventurous when it comes to changing a bikes mechanics. 
Had mine about 14 yrs and almost never an issue cepting the odd flat battery at inopportune times.
Thanks Truck!

MP1

Back to top Go down

Post  GSX1100G Thu 19 Dec 2019, 8:56 am

G 'Day MP1, love the blue 👍.
Only joined a week or so ago myself. Bandit had a shit load of extras, think suspension is standard will need to investigate. Seems good at though. Have pics of other bikes in pic section .
Cheers Mick, (GSX1100G)

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sat 21 Dec 2019, 6:20 am

Welcome aboard cheers

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  MP1 Sat 21 Dec 2019, 9:11 am

GSX1100G wrote:G 'Day MP1,  love the blue 👍.
Only joined  a week or so ago myself. Bandit had a shit load of extras, think suspension is standard will need to investigate. Seems good at though. Have pics of other bikes in pic section .
Cheers Mick,  (GSX1100G)
Hi Mick,  yeah check the suspension.  If it hasn't been done in my opinion it will be the biggest improvement you can make.  I had a quote from Shock Treatment for $1375 to re-spring and revalve front and back to suit weight and riding style/speed.  This uses stock shock so no cutting etc needed. They used to do my race bikes back in the day and do a great job. I was thinking if I ended up keeping my bike that I would also ask them to add 20mm ride height to the back as well to get the bike turning better.

MP1

Back to top Go down

Post  GSX1100G Sat 21 Dec 2019, 3:18 pm

👍

Back to top Go down

Hi - Newbie signing in Empty Welcome

Post  Brigand Mon 23 Dec 2019, 10:22 am

I have a 2008 GSF, best money I spent was suspension, (Promecha in Melb) told them my weight and riding style sent them the forks and shock, $750 later a bike that is actually confidence inspiring in the Twisties.  I have a Yoshi slip on but I doubt it really makes much difference to power but it sounds sweet and I get that lovely crackling on back off.  I was tempted for more power but will it really help much?  a few extra ponies in a RPM range that is not often used wasn't worth it for me especially when I carry so much more corner speed now.
Enjoy your Bandit

Dave
Brigand
Brigand

Back to top Go down

Hi - Newbie signing in Empty Mods

Post  Brigand Mon 23 Dec 2019, 10:29 am

Forgot to mention the scott oiler, bloody brilliant, the chain always has an oily sheen and I only adjust it when I put new tyres on, 35K still on original chain and sprocket.  I also built an electronic on from a design on this forum that I run on a Honda, also brilliant.  The little oil that gets to the rim and other parts just wipes off as it is only standard oil (Dregs from any old oil container from Automatic through to 90W)

Dave
Brigand
Brigand

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 23 Dec 2019, 1:08 pm

Don't go up 20mm in rear ride hight . You will get a high speed weave that feels like its about to turn into a tankslapper .  10mm is about the limit . Yes , I did try the 20mm thing . Only once . pale
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  GSX1100G Mon 23 Dec 2019, 8:24 pm

@Brigand
@gus
Was looking at dropping rear by 20mm to assist wife getting on/off. Will be playing with suspension a little, will start at original settings. Upgrades won't cost an arm or leg 👍. Chain oiler seems good, sprockets & chain haven't done many km, appears to have a tacky "grease" on at moment.
Will go back to PO and ask what it is. My yoshi sounds great . Early days but impressed with it as is.
Bring on the new year ☺

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down