Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1250 bandit chain chewing rear sprocket

+5
BanditDave
gus
paul
Bill & Ted
mtbeerwah
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

1250 bandit chain chewing rear sprocket - Page 2 Empty 1250 bandit chain chewing rear sprocket

Post  Batfink Mon 06 May 2019, 6:28 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi all. Not really specific to the bandit but hoping theres maybe some quirk with the bandit in unaware of. Inside of rear sprocket is wearing heavily from side plate of chain. Its making a racket of a noise too. Put new chain and sprockets but no change.
Ive confirmed wheel is running true by...
String lining to front wheel...perfect.
Set up long ally rods from pivot axle to rear axle....perfect.
Shot a laser down the sprockets with chain off....perfect.
And these happen to coincide perfectly with the factory adjuster marks in swing arm.
Im stumped. There is no play or run out on rear carrier and bearings feel fine. 2008 model with only 19000km. Bought from dealer at 9000km and ive now had enough of chasing my tail on this issue. Chain pulls to left in both sprockets. Only thing ive yet to tinker with is engine mounts. It came with crash bars fitted and in thinking maybe, and its a long shot, that the engine got tweaked slightly when they undone the engine mounts. Viable? The solid mounts engine to frame look like the motor cant shift position but im all out of ideas. Used to love this bike but my affections are dwindling. Anyone had similar?

Batfink

Back to top Go down

1250 bandit chain chewing rear sprocket - Page 2 Empty Re: 1250 bandit chain chewing rear sprocket

Post  Batfink Fri 10 May 2019, 8:26 pm

Ah ok. Nah the plates are stamped 530. Measured correct. The dampened sprockets arrived today. 5 days from UK!! Happy to report both sprockets were a nicer snug fit in splines and hub than the ones a bought at local shop. Chain def quieter turning by hand. Will test ride for a coffee in the morning and report back. The idea of dampening and absorbing the chain roller and sprocket interface for front and rears is plausible to me. We will see. Thanks all for your input. Maybe my saga will help someone else with a similar issue.
My custom moulded ear plugs wirj fine. I might start taking em out more frequently from now on just so i can check up on the accoustics of the bike . I do recall some time ago another rider had mentioned my chain was quite loud but i kinda shrugged it off. Ignorance is bliss...until i heard for myself.
Fingers crossed...

Batfink

Back to top Go down

1250 bandit chain chewing rear sprocket - Page 2 Empty Re: 1250 bandit chain chewing rear sprocket

Post  Ewok1958 Sat 11 May 2019, 8:56 am

Hmm, I've just read this string so my comments may be too late as you'll have already changed the sprockets. But it may still be relevant.

Your advice that the chain seems excessively noisy makes me think the chain is too tight. I know you said it has 30mm of play but was that with the bike on he centrestand? My experience is that the chain tightens marginally as the swingarm is pushed up, so it may be too tight when on the road with the rider's weight added. I found this out when I thought the chain needed adjusting so I tightening up on the centrestand, and then rode it afterwards - I could hear the chain, but I could not when it was adjusted properly. 

I'd have advised loosening it slightly and then taking it for a ride to see if it feels or sounds different. You may still want to try this, even with your new sprockets.

For what it's worth - hope it helps.  cheers
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sat 11 May 2019, 12:37 pm

People love to overtighten bolts ,especially when in a hurry and a big rattle gun in hand . Have a check of wheel bearings 
 and internal wheel spacer . Have not been crushed have they .Wheels are not powder coated are they ?
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Batfink Sat 11 May 2019, 2:11 pm

Wheek bearings and all spacers are good. If anything were to crush its the carrier bearing spacer. This has a groove machined in it and looks like it could potentially be sacraficial in such instances. For this reason i did replace this spacer but didnt change anything. Just got back from a mates who listened while i rode past and reckons it now sounds super quiet. I guess the silent sprockets do as they claim. As for longevity only time will tell. Certainly sounds better in the bike now. Guess ill call it a day and just ride! At least this saga has allowed me to confirm that the swing arm adjuster marks are correct for future adjustments and that wheels front to rear and swing arn are all aligned.

Batfink

Back to top Go down

Post  Brigand Sat 18 May 2019, 10:35 am

That's one hell of a mystery.  The only variable not mentioned is swing arm, are the bearings slightly worn??
I just inspected mine and no abnormal wear with 34500 Km on original chain and sprockets (scott oiler since 15000km)

Good luck
Brigand
Brigand

Back to top Go down

Post  Batfink Sat 18 May 2019, 8:21 pm

hmmm swing arm bearings is something that has entered my mind, But so have many things at this stage. at 19000km i cant help but disregard anything due to excessive wear.
on a high km bike it could be many things. this bike is like new, rides and handles like new. has been well looked after by previous owner and for the last maybe 2.5 yrs ive had it ive also looked after it. would a  bad swing arm bearing  show up when riding and be quite obvious something was not right. wobbles, clunky?? dunno, cant say ive ever had bad swing arm bearings or had a chain running to left like this. then again, the article linked previously showed 18 brand new Jap bikes all doing the same thing?
maybe its not as bad as I think, but the noise was pretty loud in my opinion. so far the new silent sprockets are keeping it quiet. maybe just masking it, maybe the rubber dampers are helping centre it so actually eliminating the problem rather than just the noise.

35k on original chain and sprockets aint bad. I might be replacing mine every 10k if thats how long the silent sprockets last. eeek

Batfink

Back to top Go down

1250 bandit chain chewing rear sprocket - Page 2 Empty worn sprockets

Post  stiff13 Fri 27 Sep 2019, 2:41 pm

sit down on the ground next to your rear sprocket. grab sprocket with both hands, push with your left and pull with your right, you will get a small amount of movement, 100 horsepower will try and pull the rear sprocket towards the front sprocket. any movement in any bearing, spacer or bush, plus the inherent flex in aluminium and steel will cause the rear sprocket to pull to the left. 

adjust chain when sitting on bike, otherwise when you sit on it, it pulls the chain tight. chain gets hot and you lose the lube between the rollers

I gave the chain a thorough clean ?? then rode it to dry it out?? clean chains are as noisy as f*&k, what is a thorough clean and what do you use to clean it with?

chain oilers are the go. all different prices and specs. i haven't tried a scottoiler(too expensive) but i have used a Loobman, Cheap but very effective, from the uk) my last chain had clocked up 55,000 kms and was still good but the bike got written off(bugger) the Loobman drip feeds onto both sides of the rear sprocket, as the sprocket spins it flings the oil onto the chain, the oil on the sprocket also stops the sideways wear as the surface is coated with a thin film of oil.(Google it) bonuses all round.

the key to keeping a chain and sprockets for a long time is keeping the chain lubed.

stiff13

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum