Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My best bike ever

+4
madmax
reddog
Chook
opa
8 posters

Go down

My best bike ever Empty My best bike ever

Post  opa Sun 26 Nov 2017, 12:24 pm

Hi All, thanks for the add and for all the shared info and experiences. After a lot of years chasing mates on Bandits, I now know why they are so damn hard to keep up with, that smooth, willing grunt out of a corner is bliss! Addictive too  What a Face  Twisted Evil

My 2010 Bandit 1250S is the twelfth bike I have owned and I love it  I love you the only hassle is the pillion seat is not so great, nowhere near as good as my GS1000E and that was 37 years ago!  What happened at Suzuki, what were they thinking?  Did they drink the kool-aid and decide form is more important than function?

My first bike was an 'evil' Evil or Very Mad Yamaha DT360, what a beast, when it ran, it was a glorious rush of two stroke power, that's if you survived the demonic  Suspect  kickstart which was just as likely to cripple you as start the bike  Wink

One brother had a Honda 750 Bore, err sorry 750 Four and it was ok but lacked the adrenalin rush of the DT and felt like the frame was hinged somewhere under the seat  Rolling Eyes  Another bro bought a Kwaka 1000, now that had an exciting engine  Cool but crap suspension and seat, then Suzuki released the first GS750 and I was in love, bought the first model wire wheels and single disc up front.  Travelled many miles on that, it blew the honda into the weeds even when that was upgraded with an 810 kit and the GS would stay with the Kwaka thou up to 'go directly to jail' speeds. 

Traded up to a GS1000E.  Fantastic machine, best ever for carrying a pillion, that seat was plush, better than the rider's.  It handled far better than the 750 and carried a helluva load travelling the whole east coast of OZ without a problem to speak of.

Also had a Guzzi V50 at this time, technically it was the wife's lol  pirat  and then 'we' bought her a Kawasaki GPZ550, what a pocket rocket!  And that Uni-trak system, (the forerunner of the Bandit's?) was a revelation  Exclamation

Then, in a rush of blood, bought the first model Harley Sturgis, first ride was pretty disappointing, after the GS1000, and it took a lot of modifications to get it anywhere near the same performance. But when I did, oh what fun  bounce haha then it broke, and broke again and again and again.  Got Harleys out of my system well and truly!  Idea

Next up was a BMW1000CS, fantastic touring bike, amazing felt like flying on that long travel suspension however, like the Harley, it broke  Crying or Very sad

Had a couple of trailies at this time also, KLR250 and KLX175.

Next an XJ850 Yamaha Triple, not bad for a shaftie and it had a fantastic wailing triple cylinder note to play with.  Comfie, not a bad handler, except on dirt, it was terrible on the dirt.  In the end, this was the bike that turned me off Yamahas, it developed an oil leak at the base gasket.  I am qualified as a fitter and turner and have rebuilt car, 4wd and motorcycle engines and the obvious built in obsolescence was so apparent, it broke my trust in the company's products.

Then a hiatus, due to family commitments, in which time I did have the benefit of extensive use of my brother's GSX1100, great bike! Very Happy

Needing transport for work, one day I spotted a rather humble looking Z550 Kawasaki Uni-trak, to my surprise this bike was almost as fast as the GPZ550 and it handled a little better to boot, bargain!  On a twisty road, it was a weapon, until the fateful day crap roadworks combined with wet conditions destroyed it and did me no little harm as well.  If anyone other than the councils did the roadworks around here, they would be sued into bankruptcy!

One of those bikes I was chasing on the straights and trouncing in the corners was a ballistic Bandit, a B2 with a truly accomplished lunatic of a rider  affraid We swapped at times and while I loved the power, I could not get my head around the front ends performance, or lack of it compared to the Z. Then a brother bought a 2010 Bandit 1250s, wow, more power, smoother and it handled as well as the Z550, even better at higher speeds, I was hooked  I love you

If you have read this far, congrats, thanks, hope we meet in person someday soon.  Smile
opa
opa

http://www.inner-voyage.com

Back to top Go down

My best bike ever Empty Re: My best bike ever

Post  Chook Sun 26 Nov 2017, 2:43 pm

Welcome opa.

That's a very impressive intro!!
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sun 26 Nov 2017, 3:35 pm

Welcome to the forum opa................are you also a member of a writers forum  Razz ...........................great write up  though.

Ps ..............where are you from ?

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Sun 26 Nov 2017, 4:12 pm

Gday OPA. Surprised you never bought/rode a gsx1400
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  opa Sun 26 Nov 2017, 6:50 pm

paul wrote:Welcome to the forum opa................are you also a member of a writers forum  Razz ...........................great write up  though.

Ps ..............where are you from ?
Hey Paul, thanks! yes I am a writer, though not a member of writers forum, I research and write for the International Meditation Teachers and Therapists Association http://www.imtta.org/ current address is Eumundi, in Queensland.  Smile
opa
opa

Back to top Go down

Post  opa Sun 26 Nov 2017, 6:54 pm

reddog wrote:Gday OPA. Surprised you never bought/rode a gsx1400
Thanks reddog, thought on the GSX1400 however, it does not have a fairing and I do a lot of riding on the highway, at the speed limits of course  Wink
opa
opa

Back to top Go down

Post  opa Sun 26 Nov 2017, 6:56 pm

Chook wrote:Welcome opa.

That's a very impressive intro!!
Thanks Chook  Exclamation Smile
opa
opa

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sun 26 Nov 2017, 9:53 pm

Welcome to the forum opa

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  opa Mon 27 Nov 2017, 7:44 am

madmax wrote:Welcome to the forum opa
Thanks madmax  Smile
opa
opa

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Mon 27 Nov 2017, 7:56 am

A warm welcome opa. Quite a list of bikes there, and interesting observations on them.  cheers
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  opa Wed 29 Nov 2017, 8:14 am

Ewok1958 wrote:A warm welcome opa. Quite a list of bikes there, and interesting observations on them.  cheers
Thanks Ewok!
opa
opa

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Wed 29 Nov 2017, 7:50 pm

Welcome aboard and thanks for the in-depth intro. You almost qualify

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Wed 29 Nov 2017, 9:19 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:Welcome aboard and thanks for the in-depth intro. You almost qualify
lol! Crikey , the entrance exam is getting harder.................... Laughing

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Thu 30 Nov 2017, 5:45 am

paul wrote:
2wheelsagain wrote:Welcome aboard and thanks for the in-depth intro. You almost qualify
Lucky we're already in paul  Wink
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Thu 30 Nov 2017, 9:57 am

Chook wrote:
paul wrote:
My thoughts exactly  Laughing ..............then again , we also have our good looks to get us through  Wink

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  GDUB Thu 30 Nov 2017, 10:13 am

Welcome dude.

I also rate the 1250S Bandit as the best bike I have owned.  Its my 15th road bike having had all sorts of things including an 89 model ZX10, an RZ500, VFR750 RC36 and most recently before the Bandit a BMW R1150RT.  Yep that's a fair mixed grill in that lot.

the Bandit is the best engine I have ever experienced on two wheels and by a long way.  I ride mine almost everyday to work and back.  Just replace the horrible factory seat with a Sergeant or similar and you will love it even more.

GDUB

GDUB

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Thu 30 Nov 2017, 9:14 pm

paul wrote:
Chook wrote:
paul wrote:
My thoughts exactly  Laughing ..............then again , we also have our good looks to get us through  Wink
Thats up for review Laughing

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Thu 30 Nov 2017, 11:14 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:
paul wrote:
Chook wrote:
paul wrote:
Thats up for review Laughing
Shocked pale Laughing

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  opa Sat 02 Dec 2017, 4:23 pm

haha thanks, lovin the Bandit, the VFR must be good to lure you away!  Very Happy
opa
opa

Back to top Go down

Post  opa Sat 02 Dec 2017, 4:36 pm

GDUB wrote:Welcome dude.

I also rate the 1250S Bandit as the best bike I have owned.  Its my 15th road bike having had all sorts of things including an 89 model ZX10, an RZ500, VFR750 RC36 and most recently before the Bandit a BMW R1150RT.  Yep that's a fair mixed grill in that lot.

the Bandit is the best engine I have ever experienced on two wheels and by a long way.  I ride mine almost everyday to work and back.  Just replace the horrible factory seat with a Sergeant or similar and you will love it even more.

GDUB
Thanks GDUB, I've tried a Corbin  Neutral my pillion preferred the standard, will check out the Sergeant seat, like the design of the Shad Comfort Seat from the UK it seems to at least pay some attention to the shape of the male anatomy.  I've done a lot of miles on a pushbike too and there are a lot of seat designs for a pushie shaped to take the riders weight on the Sitz bones rather than the perineum and the coccyx.

Yeah, have to agree, it's the engine that makes the bike, seamless torque anywhere from 3500 rpm, so easy! The engine was the reason I bought this bike, everything around it can be changed and improved, but I love the engine just as it is! Cool Had the front end serviced this week, new springs, oil, seals, bearings, loving the Bandit even more now!
opa
opa

Back to top Go down

Post  GDUB Wed 06 Dec 2017, 2:13 pm

Yeah the shape of the Sergeant isn't perfect either but is mile better than the horrible plank Suzuki put there.  the Sergeant is a little wide in the hips for me which forces me to sit a little more forward than seems natural but I've got used to it now.  the factory seat was 15 minutes to numbness for me

GDUB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down