Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chain and Sprockets - more controversy

+3
2wheelsagain
holdenman
b12mick
7 posters

Go down

Chain and Sprockets - more controversy Empty Chain and Sprockets - more controversy

Post  b12mick Tue 19 Oct 2010, 3:38 pm

Leading from Re-cycled's "haven't had enough controversy" thread and a phone call from 'the eldest' telling me he needs to replace the chain but he'll leave the sprockets alone begs the question "What do you blokes (blokettes??) do"? Do you replace your front and rear sprockets when you replace the chain or only the front, only the rear or as my son is about to do not replace them at all?

Personally I replace both sprockets at the same time as the chain. Only once did I only replace the rear sprocket, and got less then 15,000km from the new chain.

Your thoughts????
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Chain and Sprockets - more controversy Empty Re: Chain and Sprockets - more controversy

Post  holdenman Tue 19 Oct 2010, 8:00 pm

I always replace sprockets at the same time as chain.
holdenman
holdenman

Back to top Go down

Chain and Sprockets - more controversy Empty Re: Chain and Sprockets - more controversy

Post  2wheelsagain Tue 19 Oct 2010, 8:26 pm

I replace the lot but if I was off loading within 10 - 15,000km I would only do whats needed Smile

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  potatomasher Tue 19 Oct 2010, 8:36 pm

i would replace both [although so far i haven't even adjusted the chain myself....].

https://www.youtube.com/user/potatomasher100?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  Dink.1170 Wed 20 Oct 2010, 6:46 am

Always replace as sets, by the way I can access AFAM sprockets and EK chains.

Dink

Dink.1170

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Wed 20 Oct 2010, 2:51 pm

I spoke to a couple of blokes I work with and the general consensus seems to be to change sprockets and chains as a set. Which is what I suspected.

I'm even more surprised by the odd one or two that don't.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Wed 20 Oct 2010, 6:05 pm

I intend to inspect sprockets and chain at 15K and depending on condition replace as required. My version of the rule is never to mix new and worn components in the chain/sprocket system, and that being the case I am happy to inspect and replace any "worn" component individually if it is the only thing "worn". Generally I believe the chain and sprockets will wear as a set but front sprockets often wear faster and so I expect I may need to replace that at about 15K and expect to replace the lot at 30K.

There, is that controversial enough? Smile
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  Tommyboy Fri 29 Oct 2010, 8:55 pm

I change the whole lot every time, but I came across an article online that suggested 2 chains for every set of sprockets. Sure, the second chain will wear quicker than the first, but it will save you money and hassle.
Tommyboy
Tommyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down