Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Motorcycle Trailer

+5
Chook
barry_mcki
2wheelsagain
Bosco15
Ironman
9 posters

Go down

Motorcycle Trailer  Empty Motorcycle Trailer

Post  Ironman Sat 09 Apr 2016, 4:41 pm

I recently moved house and I needed a trailer to move such things a motorcycles but I now have 3 tenths of bugger all room where I am now, so a full size trailer was an impossibility with regards to storage when its not being used.
I found a folding trailer called an easytrailer from carlex in melbourne. It folds up and can fit through a standard doorway.
I bought the 8x4 version. It will carry two Bandits at once. I optioned it up with two locking wheel chocks, 4 additional tiedown points and a spare wheel/tyre combo. It is delivered to your door in a kit form which with two or three hand tools can be assembled in about 12 hours non stop.
Obviously you need a break and beer slows things down a bit. I built mine over a two week period with no issues at all with fit or quality.
Its light, it carried my bikes with ease, tows easily you forget its there. And best of all its easily changed to take one bike or two, or as a flat top, option up again and it has detatchable roof rack style bars, or sides to make it a box trailer.

Anyways its waiting for my track day and I cannot say a bad thing about it really. If you need a bike trailer and have no storage for a standard fixed trailer, take a look at one of these little beauties. I get really positive comments about it whenever I take it out.

Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Motorcycle Trailer  Empty Re: Motorcycle Trailer

Post  Bosco15 Sat 09 Apr 2016, 7:47 pm

Always good to hear reviews of products. 
Would you have any pics? 
How much did it cost? 
Link to supplier site?

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sat 09 Apr 2016, 8:17 pm

How sturdy are the tyres, wheels and hubs?
They look like they're not up to sustained highway speeds.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Sat 09 Apr 2016, 8:36 pm

I checked out this crew a couple of years ago when looking for a small trailer to pull behind my Bandit, lots of accessories to customise it, I'm still thinking about buying their side wall kit to turn my little thing into a box trailer.  However as I was after a very small unit, it was actually cheaper to have it made than use the Easy Trailer kit, the bigger 6x4 and 8x4 might work out more economical.  

It was from the photo's of their site I got the idea for the cargo top box:

Motorcycle Trailer  Easy_t10

Motorcycle Trailer  Img_1310

Motorcycle Trailer  Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironman Sat 09 Apr 2016, 8:53 pm

its as sturdy as required. you can only go 110 legally and towing anything I think you are limited to 100. hubs and wheels are as durable as any trailer. tyres are 12 inch x 4. really its fine. I travelled 400km with 450kg payload and tyres are fine and hubs didnt get hot nothing flexed or came loose. google search carlex and they have customer pictures etc. im uber happy with mine. Very Happy Very Happy

Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:00 am

Ironman wrote:you can only go 110 legally and towing anything I think you are limited to 100. 
that depends which state you're driving/riding in
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sun 10 Apr 2016, 3:49 pm

Ironman wrote: towing anything I think you are limited to 100. 

Jeez, I hope not Shocked

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sun 10 Apr 2016, 5:06 pm

From "Without a Hitch"  

http://withoutahitch.com.au/caravan/state-state-tow-vehicle-trailer-speed-limits/

Trailer speed limits
In most cases, the law states that the maximum speed limit for a tow vehicle with a trailer in Australia is as per the signposted speed. However, there are some subtle variations to this rule across the states.

New South Wales
The maximum allowable speed of a tow vehicle towing a trailer in New South Wales is 100km per hour if the tow vehicle and trailer have a combined weight in excess of 4,500kg. [Understanding maximum trailer mass] Note that the maximum allowable speed on motorways and highways in New South Wales is 110km per hour.

Tasmania
There’s more of a blanket rule in Tasmania. The maximum speed limit when towing a trailer or caravan in Tasmania is 90km per hour, regardless of trailer weight. Note that the maximum allowable speed limit on motorways and highways in Tasmania is 100km per hour.

Western Australia
Like New South Wales, Western Australia has a maximum of 100km per hour for a vehicle towing a trailer. However, there is no specified vehicle and trailer weight. Note that the maximum allowable speed on motorways and highways in Western Australia is 110km per hour.

South Australia, Australian Capital Territory, Northern Territory, Queensland and Victoria
The remaining states and territories have no trailer speed limits for towing. Instead, they recommend that drivers travel at a speed that is suitable to the prevailing conditions on the open road.
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sun 10 Apr 2016, 5:36 pm

Chook wrote:From "Without a Hitch"  

http://withoutahitch.com.au/caravan/state-state-tow-vehicle-trailer-speed-limits/

Trailer speed limits
In most cases, the law states that the maximum speed limit for a tow vehicle with a trailer in Australia is as per the signposted speed. However, there are some subtle variations to this rule across the states.

New South Wales
The maximum allowable speed of a tow vehicle towing a trailer in New South Wales is 100km per hour if the tow vehicle and trailer have a combined weight in excess of 4,500kg. [Understanding maximum trailer mass] Note that the maximum allowable speed on motorways and highways in New South Wales is 110km per hour.

Tasmania
There’s more of a blanket rule in Tasmania. The maximum speed limit when towing a trailer or caravan in Tasmania is 90km per hour, regardless of trailer weight. Note that the maximum allowable speed limit on motorways and highways in Tasmania is 100km per hour.

Western Australia
Like New South Wales, Western Australia has a maximum of 100km per hour for a vehicle towing a trailer. However, there is no specified vehicle and trailer weight. Note that the maximum allowable speed on motorways and highways in Western Australia is 110km per hour.

South Australia, Australian Capital Territory, Northern Territory, Queensland and Victoria
The remaining states and territories have no trailer speed limits for towing. Instead, they recommend that drivers travel at a speed that is suitable to the prevailing conditions on the open road.

Phew! that's a relief Smile

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironman Wed 05 Jul 2017, 5:27 pm

Well my ëasy trailer" successfully carried my vstrom and b12 some 1200km from the Gold Coast to ACT without any issue at all.
Nothing, nada, zero or zip issues. Really boring. Just the way you want it.
Performed well. Hubs barely got any temperature in them the whole way. Tyres were fine.
I would recommend anyone who needs a bike trailer but has bugger all room to store it to look at these.
Google Easy Trailer. Distributed by carlex.

Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Post  martinbrown44 Thu 18 Apr 2019, 3:01 pm

Looking cool what about this?
I am driving a truck from a long time basically i am towing truck driver at Manhattan towing service, my entire life spent with the vehicles, have a lot of experience in this field and still im in.
<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->

Last edited by martinbrown44 on Fri 19 Apr 2019, 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

martinbrown44

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Thu 18 Apr 2019, 6:05 pm

Hi martinbrown44 welcome to the forum . Why not pop into the introduce yourself section & tell us a bit about your bike and yourself .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Thu 18 Apr 2019, 7:26 pm

As I read it, the speed limit in the NT whether towing a trailer or not is the signposted speed limit.
Last time I checked there were a number of 130 Km/h roads.
So I guess you would need to make sure your trailer had wheels/tyres rated for that speed.
Personally, I think it would be a bit silly to tow at the speed limit but "I don't make the rules".

Having said that I found it a little bit scary having a road train behind you, up close and personal, at any speed

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down