Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unable to ride beloved bandit for 12 months.

+4
MIKER
shoey
Chook
Ewok1958
8 posters

Go down

Unable to ride beloved bandit for 12 months. Empty Unable to ride beloved bandit for 12 months.

Post  shoey Fri 12 Dec 2014, 9:51 am

Hi people ,I have been a member of site since buying my bandit 4 years ago . I have a 2010 1250s which is my reason for looking forward to weekends . Unfortunately mister policeman decided to take my riding privileges off me for 12 months . I have no plans of selling and would like any suggestions as to best way of storing it until I can enjoy my weekends again . It is garaged and was wondering if just firing it up every week or so all I should do .
shoey
shoey

Back to top Go down

Unable to ride beloved bandit for 12 months. Empty Re: Unable to ride beloved bandit for 12 months.

Post  Ewok1958 Fri 12 Dec 2014, 10:09 am

That wasn't very charitable of Mr Plod.  Evil or Very Mad

But good to know she'll be waiting for you to get a leg over in 12 months time.  In the meantime, I'd do an oil and filter change if one hasn't been done recently, start her up every weekend, get her properly warmed up, put it on the centre-stand and run her up and down through the gears.  Give her a few rev runs in neutral.

And add some fuel conditioner to the tank - you can get it at auto stores.  It is designed to stop moisture forming in the fuel/tank so it is good for fuel that sits around for long periods.

Can't think of anything else but others may have suggestions.

cheers
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Unable to ride beloved bandit for 12 months. Empty Re: Unable to ride beloved bandit for 12 months.

Post  Chook Fri 12 Dec 2014, 10:15 am

This is the procedure straight from the owners manual for "winter storage", some of it is probably over the top for a warmer climate although it may also help to prevent corrosion from the humidity, some is good advice

Motorcycle
Clean entire bike, place on centre stand, steering turned fully to left and locked, remove key

Fuel
Fill Fuel tank to top with fuel mixed with fuel stabiliser (to recommended amount)
Run engine for a few minutes until stabilised fuel is through injection system

Engine
Pour 1 tablespoon of oil into each spark plug hole and refit plugs
Drain oil thoroughly, refill with clean oil all the way to the filler plug

Battery
Remove battery from bike
Wash out side with mild detergent and remove any corrosion from terminals
Store in room above freezing (I don't reckon that'll be a problem for you Wink )

Tyres
Inflate to normal pressure

External
Spray all rubber and vinyl with a rubber preservative
Spray all unpainted surfaces with rust preventative
Coat painted surfaces with car wax

During Storage
Once a month recharge battery

Return To Service
Clean entire bike
reinstall battery
Remove spark plugs, turn engine a few time by putting into gear and turning rear wheel, reinstall plugs
Drain oil, replace oil and filter
Adjust tyre pressures
Lubricate all places stated in manual
Do the "Inspection Before Riding" described in the manual
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  shoey Fri 12 Dec 2014, 10:44 am

Thank you very much for your answers , hope to see you on the road when I can throw the leg back over. Love the site and find it very helpful.
shoey
shoey

Back to top Go down

Post  MIKER Thu 18 Dec 2014, 10:53 am

It will be a long wait (12mths), but hang in there mate. Some good storage tips above also, thanks for posting them up  Wink

MIKER

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Thu 18 Dec 2014, 7:06 pm

Wd40 is a good rust preventative. I use it on my dirt bike and spray all the motor etc.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Thu 18 Dec 2014, 9:04 pm

As you live near one of the few tracks in Aus, do yourself a flavour and treat yourself to a ride day as often as you can afford. 
Twelve months rego and insurance in NSW will pay for half a dozen at least. 
You can stick it to Mr. Plod by still riding and doing it legally. 
The 1250 certainly isn't a track day weapon, but you'll still have a blast.

Back to top Go down

Post  shoey Sun 28 Dec 2014, 6:09 pm

Thanks for your support,spent the day changing oil, fuelling with conditioner ,cleaning and polishing. Looks a million bucks. Have looked into track days at what we used to call eastern creek and will definitely book one . Fortunately I also have a 2003 CBR 600rr (I know it's not a suzuki but bought it for a bargain price , rode it once and decided it was to much fun in the twisties to get rid of , not a long distance machine though) It would be more suitable than the bandit but In saying that when I went out to the creek and had a look there was even a dude on a Ducati diavel so I'm sure the bandit would be more than ok . Would add photos if I knew how to! Happy riding boys , I'm thinking of you!
shoey
shoey

Back to top Go down

Unable to ride beloved bandit for 12 months. Empty Couple of pics

Post  shoey Sun 28 Dec 2014, 9:11 pm

Just figured out how to send a picture thanks to 2wheelsagainUnable to ride beloved bandit for 12 months. Img_2717Unable to ride beloved bandit for 12 months. Img_2718
shoey
shoey

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sun 28 Dec 2014, 9:33 pm

Glad you figured out posting pix mate.
Personally I'd punt the 600 around the track. The Bandit will be a lot of work compared to the 600.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  #Tag Sun 28 Dec 2014, 11:55 pm

Sorry to rain on the parade about the track day, but at most tracks you need either a current riders licence or an MA competition licence.
#Tag
#Tag

Back to top Go down

Post  shoey Mon 29 Dec 2014, 11:01 am

I checked it out when I was out there and for $100 you can get a Motorcycle Australia recreational licence which will allow you to ride .
shoey
shoey

Back to top Go down

Post  MIKER Mon 29 Dec 2014, 1:57 pm

Nice bikes you got there Cool

MIKER

Back to top Go down

Post  shoey Mon 29 Dec 2014, 4:05 pm

Thanks mate , I miss riding them pretty badly . Don't look forward to my weekends half as much at the moment but no use whinging!
shoey
shoey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down