Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

gsx650f Clutch contact/release position

5 posters

Go down

gsx650f Clutch contact/release position Empty gsx650f Clutch contact/release position

Post  turbo_brian Tue 18 Nov 2014, 2:28 pm

Please forgive my ignorance if this is a silly question, but coming from the car world, I am intrigued...

the clutch on my GSX releases about 5% into into pulling the lever, if I add pressure to the lever, I can free-spin the engine, releasing the clutch out, it only takes up to contact point right near the end of the gearlever's travel.

Is this normal or signs of a worn and about to die clutch?

In car-speak, the the clutch is at the end of the pedal, not mid-push or at the top.

Bike is 13,000kms old, clutch isnt slipping but just concerned at the position. it's also a hydraulic clutch, not cable driven, so not a cable problem.

Thoughts?

B.

turbo_brian

Back to top Go down

gsx650f Clutch contact/release position Empty Re: gsx650f Clutch contact/release position

Post  gus Tue 18 Nov 2014, 3:22 pm

First thing to do is replace the fluid just in case air has got into the system .
Take top off clutch fluid holder
Undo bottom bleed nipple with clear tubing attached ,
Keep adding clean fluid until new fluid appears in clear tubing .
Tap bottom of clutch res, a few times . Tap, not hit .
Get any bubbles ? You shouldn't
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

gsx650f Clutch contact/release position Empty Re: gsx650f Clutch contact/release position

Post  turbo_brian Tue 18 Nov 2014, 3:30 pm

Will try this first, I was going to look into doing this, as I like nice clean coloured fluid in the window, and it's slightly brown/green, so might have been there for a while.

Will see how this goes and let you all know.

Cheers!

turbo_brian

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Tue 18 Nov 2014, 4:16 pm

Are the levers span adjustable?
The take up doesnt sound normal but you shouldnt be up for a new clutch in at those miles if in fact ever!
I'd go for a bleed as Gus suggests and see if that improves it.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Tue 18 Nov 2014, 8:23 pm

Buy a set of these if you want some adjustability http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Long-Brake-Clutch-Levers-Suzuki-SV1000-S-DL1000-GSX1400-GSF1200-1250-BANDIT-BLK-/301055537513?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item46184ef169

Super cheap and so far have worked well on my bike for 4+ years. I presume the 650 has identical levers as the 1250.

gsx650f Clutch contact/release position BrakeClutch-Black-1
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Wed 19 Nov 2014, 1:13 am

Levers are pretty much the same on 650 and 1250. The rest of the brake and clutch system is pretty much similar between the two as well
If you have crap coloured fluid in the system, time to flush it out and change it although it's quite a normal thing for it to go a browny/blackish colour from new. Once changed it should stay a nice colour for some time tho.
The take up point sounds about normal for the 650. Almost at the end of the levers travel. No matter what you do (bleed, change levers etc), it'll still be pretty much where it is now.
Doesn't seam to effect things tho

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down