Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new rear shock

5 posters

Go down

new rear shock Empty new rear shock

Post  V17R Sun 02 Nov 2014, 5:51 pm

After being impressed with the improvement on replacing the front fork springs I have decided to replace the rear spring / shock
have been reading about the Holeshot/Cogent Dynamics setup but they say it needs to be returned for service every 2 years or 24,000km
does anyone already have this shock or any advise on an upgrade. Can't afford the $1500 Ohlins ect.

Also thinking of the Holeshot/Dobek super tuner stage 2 setup and some sort of slip on

V17R

Back to top Go down

new rear shock Empty Re: new rear shock

Post  mtbeerwah Sun 02 Nov 2014, 6:06 pm

Hi Mate.

How much are they asking for the shock?

Every shock should be serviced, no matter the brand or performance.

Suspension should never be a set and forget.

My Wilbers has just come up to its two year, and for warranty, I have to take it back to where I bought it for its service.

I can`t service it myself anyway, as its nitrogen gas charged. That's not something I`ve got laying around in the shed.

You should be able to get that one serviced at any suspension joint.

Apart from that, get either a Busa, or Gix 1000 shock from ebay, and stick it in.
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  V17R Sun 02 Nov 2014, 6:09 pm

It's $675 USD

I read on here the Busa or GSXR shock needs mods?

V17R

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Sun 02 Nov 2014, 6:39 pm

Some just put them in and are quiet happy.

I , at one stage, had a Busa shock. I just stuck it in and was happy to play with what it offered.

I then wanted more. So I got a 07-08 1000 gix, and put it in, cause of superior damper control. I then modified that cause I wanted more. and that the spring is slightly softer than the bandit, obviously cause of a lighter bike, but to be honest, would probably only come into effect, if you were to be two up. You should be able to screw the spring to suit solo.

I then went and spent $1300 on a full remote Wibers, because I wanted more.

The moral is, for me anyway, I should have bought the Wibers to begin with, or another brand of bike, and that wasn`t going to happen, so Wilbers it is.
The busa and gix will alter the height of the bike, and if you want the bike to be the same ride height, will have to change the dog bones to suit.
If you want the best that either of those shocks can offer to suit the Bandit, then you should play the mathematics game to be precise, and look at proper spring and damper changes to suit, and this is if you want the best out of those two, probably not necessary.

So, if you were to buy an ebay jobbie, than if you were to change the spring, blah blah blah, you`ll be up for the same amount as the hole shot one, but not have to change the dog bones as it should be the right height.

Then there`s the questions of what you want out of a shock!!
Are you seriously into twisty riding? (mountain knee scrapping)
Do you just tour?
Do you want to do track time?
Do you want full adjustability?
Is their shock full adjustable, and what you want in their shock?

These are all dictated by price.
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Sun 02 Nov 2014, 10:02 pm

The questions posed by mtbeerwah are crucial to getting what you actually want first time around.  I just bought a basic Ohlins from Solomoto Parts in CA, USA.  It's basic because it has only preload and rebound dampening adjustment, which is all I want to have to be bothered with.  It was US$648 + about US$70 shipping.  The price quickly goes up if you want remote preload or rebound and compression dampening.  I'm very happy with my purchase, having already done the front springs and valves (many tens of thousands of k's ago).
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  V17R Sun 02 Nov 2014, 10:09 pm

certainly wont be scrapping the knee anywhere but I still like a decent handling bike
probably don't need the full adjustments either.

Ewok, are you happy with the basic Ohlins?

V17R

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Sun 02 Nov 2014, 10:26 pm

Very happy mate.  I put a few words about it in this recent ride report:

https://nswbandits.forumotion.net/t5158p15-2014-alpine-ride
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Sun 02 Nov 2014, 10:33 pm

just as an example 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-08-SUZUKI-GSXR-1000-REAR-BACK-SHOCK-ABSORBER-SUSPENSION-OEM-/141357841795?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20e9957d83&vxp=mtr

this is what you can pick up a gix shock for, depending on post by any seller.

this is what I did, then changed the spring to race tech, and gold valved the whole thing, and was shimmed to ohlins specs.

my shock now is of a very high state, with more adjustability, then the hole shot one, and all up, plus the post and AUS $ coversion you will pay, will work out about the same price.

something to think about, some money, but better shock
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  V17R Sun 02 Nov 2014, 10:44 pm

Ewok, sounds like a good ride
Ohlins would be a better choice than Holeshot at that price I'd imagine

if I went the gixxer shock I wouldn't know anywhere around here to get the mods done

V17R

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Mon 03 Nov 2014, 7:47 am

Agree with Ewok do it once and do it right; as an alternative you can get from http://www.omniaracing.net/en/ohlins-street-performance-s46dr1-mono-shock-absorber-for-suzuki-gsf-1250-bandit-2007-0709-p-10648.html

this is about AU$610 plus AU$50 post, plus post is really quick, you should receive in about 5 days.  BTW if you have not already addressed the forks...they will really suck after you do the back-end.

Cheers
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodroket Mon 03 Nov 2014, 7:51 am

I had my forks and shock reworked by peter at pro mecha, second of my bikes he has done, good prices and quick/excellent work. You can send your oem shock and tell him how you want it. http://www.promecha.com.au check out his web site.

Rodroket

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down