Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tyre choice for GSX1250

+7
kewwig
madmax
2wheelsagain
#Tag
BoomGT
Ewok1958
Ulsterkiwi
11 posters

Go down

Tyre choice for GSX1250 Empty Tyre choice for GSX1250

Post  Ulsterkiwi Mon 29 Sep 2014, 9:34 am

Greetings.
I am planning for the fast approaching day when I need to reshoe the beast (2014 GSX1250)

I have 7500kms on the original BT021 tyres. Oddly the front seems to be wearing more rapidly than the rear. Perhaps something to do with my poor riding skills/technique?

Anyway there is lots of advice being offered but the "guy in the shop" will always want to sell what he has in stock. Quite naturally!

I have two Suzuki dealers offering conflicting advice.

One has a set of Pirelli Angel GTs on offer at NZ$419, telling me they are perfect for my kind of riding. (150km return daily commute plus weekend fangs plus longer weekend trips) The other dealer says dont touch them with a bargepole, they will fall apart, instead buy my Bridgestone BT023s for $389. Both want $100 to fit.

Have also considered Cont RA2s and Bridgestone T30s. The Michelins are getting outside of my price bracket.

Would appreciate feedback on longevity and performance in the wet from any of those models on a Bandit or GSX

Cheers in advance!

Ulsterkiwi

Back to top Go down

Tyre choice for GSX1250 Empty Re: Tyre choice for GSX1250

Post  Ewok1958 Mon 29 Sep 2014, 9:49 am

Hi mate.  There is already plenty of discussion about tyres on other threads (Tyres: Feedback is up to 29 pages, but there are numerous threads).  I've now done 62,500kms and have run Michelin PR2s and PR3s since changing over from the original Dunlops (mine is a GSF1250S).  I got good wear and grip from the Michelins (16,000 - 18,000kms).  I'm currently running Angel GTs (my first set) but they are relatively new.  I like them a lot and would likely put them on again when thy're worn out.  I fully expect to get the same sort of mileage from them as the Michelins.  I don't expect them to "fall apart" - that sounds like opposition bullshit trying to sell you his brand.  But do be aware that Pirelli Angels come with a standard rating and an "A" rating.  The "A" rating is for bigger, heavier sports tourers and that would include the Bandit/GSX1250.  I think previously the A-rating only applied to the rear but I read yesterday Pirelli has developed an A-rated front Angel GT now so I expect they would be available.  To be kind to your Bridgestone dealer, perhaps he had experience (or hearsay) of non A-rated Angels not being up to the task if used on a Bandit/GSX1250.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulsterkiwi Mon 29 Sep 2014, 10:00 am

hi there, cheers for the quick reply.
I did try the search and just got overwhelmed! So many options and some are just out of my price range. I was aware many models had variants for bigger bikes but wasnt aware that was the case on the Pirellis. Interesting you mention that because the dealer who offered those is also a HD main dealer, you would think if anyone knew about heavyweight bikes it would be them!

Yeah, so much BS floating around. Its why I am keen to hear from users not sellers!

Thanks again, good information Very Happy

Ulsterkiwi

Back to top Go down

Post  BoomGT Mon 29 Sep 2014, 12:30 pm

I have the pirelli angel GT on my bandit (A spec on the rear). Excellent tyre with not a lot of wear after 6000kms. Will fit them again when these wear out.
graham

BoomGT

Back to top Go down

Post  #Tag Mon 29 Sep 2014, 12:59 pm

Ulsterkiwi wrote:The other dealer says dont touch them with a bargepole, they will fall apart, instead buy my Bridgestone BT023s for $389.

I wouldn't touch this dealer with a bargepole.
#Tag
#Tag

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 29 Sep 2014, 1:13 pm

!Tag wrote:
Ulsterkiwi wrote:The other dealer says dont touch them with a bargepole, they will fall apart, instead buy my Bridgestone BT023s for $389.

I wouldn't touch this dealer with a bargepole.

I wouldnt touch that dealers barge pole with a barge pole!
That statement doesnt give me confidence in anything he may say or do. Keep that in mind.
There's probably nothing wrong with Bridgestone but in 40 yrs on bikes I dont think I've ever had a Bridgy.
Jim Coleman ran Conti's RA once and couldnt wait to get rid of them. He can explain why. They're a nice looking tyre.
The Bandit likes a tyre with a rounded profile and thats why the PR2, 3, 4 range works well. I too may have considered an Angel if I had kept the Bandit but once Michelin are in your blood its hard to be sold anything else. Whats the price difference. I'd still pay within $50 - $80.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  #Tag Mon 29 Sep 2014, 1:28 pm

Unfortunate circumstances saw me run three sets of BT023's.  Tyre's are a very subjective thing but, for me, they were inferior to the Angels and PR2/3/4's. Come to think of it I've also run Diablo Rosso 2's, Power Pilots, Power Pure's  and Z6 And Z8's.

I put the 023's at the bottom of that list.(to be fair equal last with the Z6's)
#Tag
#Tag

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Mon 29 Sep 2014, 1:35 pm

I replaced the original Bridges with a set of PR3s and couldn't believe the difference. The Michelins are a much better tyre, better grip better handling more confidence.

Since then I have replaced the rear with a PR4, still have a PR3 on the front but that will be replaced in the coming months.

I would also be happy to try the Angels but I wouldn't go back to the Bridgestones

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Mon 29 Sep 2014, 7:04 pm

madmax wrote:I replaced the original Bridges with a set of PR3s and couldn't believe the difference. The Michelins are a much better tyre, better grip better handling more confidence.

Since then I have replaced the rear with a PR4, still have a PR3 on the front but that will be replaced in the coming months.

I would also be happy to try the Angels but I wouldn't go back to the Bridgestones
Michelin PR3s give good wear and grip on Wellington's wet roads.  Got 14,000 k on the last rear and 19,000k on the front.  A mate fitted the BT023s TSS is selling as a set and really likes them but I prefer Michelin
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Mon 29 Sep 2014, 10:32 pm

$100 to fit tyres!!!
Frig!
Most reputable shops will fit for free if you take your wheels in. Certainly worth the effort to put your bike up on it's stand. 
If you're looking for a budget tyre, that has impressed me with it's performance, look at Shinko 009 Ravens. 
I got a pair, delivered, $290 Aus. Fitted them myself.  
Look on ebay or Trade me in NZ.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stromcat Sat 11 Oct 2014, 9:02 pm

Just replaced the original BT21's with Michelin PR4's.Fantastic feel to them,and great in the wet.Done 900 miles on them so far,worn down by about 0.5mm.Don't think I will be looking for anything else come replacement time.
Stromcat
Stromcat

Back to top Go down

Post  jstava Sun 12 Oct 2014, 12:15 pm

Most bikes I've owned have had a set of Bridgestones on it, at one point.  Anything by Metzler, Pirelli, or Shinko, or even Chen Sheng(?) has been a better tyre. Some WAY better, I've never had Avons, and wouldn't consider Dunlops (all the vices).

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Sun 12 Oct 2014, 2:59 pm

Tyres are threads are like oil threads, everyone has their own opinion. I actually like the bridgestones, I had a set of michelin pilot 2s and they nearly killed my wife after they let go mid corner. Couldn't wait to see the end of them. I've ran Bridgestone 021 and 023 without any issues other than low tyre life. Rears get around 6000 and fronts 8000. If you aren't into spirited riding go for the tyre that'll last longer, other than that go for something that grips. Btw the t30s are the new 023 and have been for well over 12 months. Don't buy old tyres, rubber has a finite life
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulsterkiwi Sun 12 Oct 2014, 5:53 pm

thank you for the replies folks. I understand there is a personal preference element to tyre choice but its useful to hear from people who have tried various combinations on the same or similar machine.

After lots of ringing around and hearing the sales talk from most of the dealers in my region I went in to the little independent guy I have been using since I got my first learner bike.
I ended up with a Conti Road Attack 2 EVO on the front. I really needed to replace it as the wear had gone to the bars on one side. Price and just the general look of the tyre and the confidence this guy had in recommending it sold me on it.

Result? The front of bike goes where I want it to, with no dramas and in a predictable manner. Have limited time in the wet but so far the tyre gives me confidence. Cant ask for much more I reckon!

Its bigger mate is now waiting until I get the last 1000kms or so out of the BT021 on the rear. Will see how we go on wear then

Ulsterkiwi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down