Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strange choice ?

5 posters

Go down

Strange choice ? Empty Strange choice ?

Post  gus Mon 09 May 2011, 12:30 pm

I know this is trivial but i have always thought the "Phillips head "on the t\body's looked cheap and a strange choice .The frame stops you from
getting a screwdriver to it and it is so bloody tight .I've tried before to remove them and given up .Today with a impact driver bit (just the bit)
and an 8 mm spanner attached i got them out .Both cover in red "locktight " .Why so much i have no idea .I replaced the Phillips heads with
stainless button heads ,(you know i like those Very Happy )An Allen key now fits easily so i can remove them .I have no idea why i would want to
but at least now i can . Wink
Strange choice ? IMG_2096
Strange choice ? IMG_2097
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Strange choice ? Empty Re: Strange choice ?

Post  reddog Mon 09 May 2011, 2:20 pm

Good work gus. If you keep a note of all the bolts you replaced you could create a bolt replacement kit for us Bandit owners Smile

The pic you have taken is where I have a major fuel leak now after the weekends ride. Throttle bodies will come out this week to remove butterflies and modify the clamp on that side of the motor so it doesn't leak. I have a horrible looking brown stain down the right side of the engine case Sad
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Mon 09 May 2011, 3:07 pm

That leak is a common thing on the bandit and it has even happened on the wifes GSX650F.
My solution was to remove the small spacer between the clamp ends on both clamps (don't remove the long spacer between the clamps) and tighten down carefully. You won't get a positive stop doing it this way but will be able to apply more tightness to the clamp and stop the leak
I've not had mine leak since doing it.

Some other owners take the spacers out and shave a bit off them and this in another way you could do it.

Since you are taking the TB's off you could look into do the same thing to the other side to be sure it won't happen there but I've not seen or heard of it happening to the LH TB's

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 09 May 2011, 3:27 pm

And think of the weight saving if you file the spacer down . Very Happy
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 09 May 2011, 3:33 pm

reddog wrote:Good work gus. If you keep a note of all the bolts you replaced you could create a bolt replacement kit for us Bandit owners Smile

The pic you have taken is where I have a major fuel leak now after the weekends ride. Throttle bodies will come out this week to remove butterflies and modify the clamp on that side of the motor so it doesn't leak. I have a horrible looking brown stain down the right side of the engine case Sad

Can you take a pic of this leake please reddog. Not heard of it before but I want to see what I should be looking for.

Nice work Gus. I thing DB milled up a new shield/mod for them years ago. Until then I didn't realise they were plastic Laughing

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Cameron Mon 09 May 2011, 5:56 pm

As a mechanic, i just hate phillip head screws full stop.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down