Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hot plastic smell

4 posters

Go down

Hot plastic smell Empty Hot plastic smell

Post  1wheeldrive Thu 18 Sep 2014, 6:09 pm

Have had the bike for a little while now and its funny how you don't always pick up on things until you get used to and a bit familiar with the thing. I have other questions, but first up;

I have noticed on mine, a 2008 naked, when it gets all warmed up and hot  it tends to give off a smell not unlike plastic or PVC when it gets hot. There is no smoke, but have noticed a lot of  plastic cable sheaths and joiners which must be for the throttle bodies above/resting on a large heat sink on the LHS. Also the cable that runs to the starter is lying across the top of the back of the motor.

Is this right how all the plastic stuff is in contact  with the hot bits?

1wheeldrive

Back to top Go down

Hot plastic smell Empty Re: Hot plastic smell

Post  2wheelsagain Thu 18 Sep 2014, 6:28 pm

Your bike should have been recalled for the RR swap. Check with a dealer that it has been changed because that's my suspicion.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  1wheeldrive Thu 18 Sep 2014, 7:40 pm

I have the letter from Suzuki about the R/R fault, and 'ol mate has his log book all up to date - serviced every 6000K and the last service was the 24K one. It now has 26k. With all this servicing I can't find anything that says the R/R has actually been changed out. But on the other hand he had a service not long after the recall letter date, so you'd have to assume it was done then.

I had a bit of a "reorganise"  of the electricals to try to keep them from the hot bits and it seemed to lessen the smell a fair bit.

The bike is in really good condition and has been looked after by the dealer and 'ol mate just rode it on the weekends.

Last edited by 1wheeldrive on Thu 18 Sep 2014, 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Repeated myself - again)

1wheeldrive

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Thu 18 Sep 2014, 8:18 pm

Don't assume. Check with Suzuki that the regulator has indeed been changed. It should be on their computer. I changed mine myself, the so only allowed me to do so if I bought the old unit in first for exchange
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Truck bandit Fri 19 Sep 2014, 9:16 am

You said the last service was the 24k.
I'd suggest they had taken the tank off during the service and when re-assembling have maybe dislodged a tube/cable/wiring close or even touching the engine which is possibly melting.

I'd take the tank off and do a good investigation and then be careful when reattaching the tank.

Good luck.

Back to top Go down

Post  1wheeldrive Fri 19 Sep 2014, 2:04 pm

Rang Suzuki and asked the question. Super friendly girl was happy to tell me it had been replaced and even took my details for future events, or at least;

Hot plastic smell Thatswhatshesaid_zps83b1f2c8

1wheeldrive

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down