Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another tyre thread

+3
Bosco15
Dekenai
stu
7 posters

Go down

Another tyre thread Empty Another tyre thread

Post  stu Thu 04 Sep 2014, 4:18 pm

Sorry if you are all tyred of these kinds of threads, but I couldn't find anything on the site already.... Razz

I just replaced my PR3 rear today with a new PR4.... got 12,500km from the 3.... it's well and truly bald and flat in the middle, but yes a fair bit of torque gets pushed through the wheel.... Shocked   Got my money's worth !

Riding off, it made an immediate and obvious difference.... so much smoother and rolled better.

The front still had maybe 2000-3000km of wear left. It was replaced at the same time last time.

It however is no longer really round. Mechanic suggested that I'd have a better ride and better handlng if I replaced it now, but at $229 for the front, I'm happy to get more wear from it. I've got some highway planned but also longer distance back roads with some curves.

What would the forum do?

stu

Back to top Go down

Another tyre thread Empty Re: Another tyre thread

Post  Dekenai Thu 04 Sep 2014, 5:13 pm

I'd say it's all about feel Stu.  If you are happy, then who is to differ?
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Thu 04 Sep 2014, 8:15 pm

Dekenai wrote:I'd say it's all about feel Stu.  If you are happy, then who is to differ?

Au contraire mon frere. 
It's all about grip! 
Grip in the dry, but especially in the wet. And not only when cornering, but maintaining traction in an emergency stop in the wet. 
If you have a 80% worn tyre on the front and a new one on the back, I believe handling will be effected and safety too. 
I like to think of the dollars to be spent repairing your bike, if it went down, vs the price of a new tyre. affraid
You have two patches of rubber in contact with the bitumin, both the size of a credit card. If the contact patch of the front tyre, the most important one, is slightly smaller due to tyre wear, then your grip is decreased as a result. 
As I've stated previously, I replace my tyres in pairs. 
It seems a lot of guys ride their tyres until they are way past their useful life. Claims of 12000km +
I don't think I've ever gone far past 7000km, mostly on sports bikes admittedly. I will report on longevity with the Bandits when I buy my next set of hoops. 
Just my 2c worth.

Back to top Go down

Post  stu Thu 04 Sep 2014, 8:30 pm

Bosco15 wrote:
Dekenai wrote:I'd say it's all about feel Stu.  If you are happy, then who is to differ?

Au contraire mon frere. 
It's all about grip! 
Grip in the dry, but especially in the wet. And not only when cornering, but maintaining traction in an emergency stop in the wet. 
If you have a 80% worn tyre on the front and a new one on the back, I believe handling will be effected and safety too. 
I like to think of the dollars to be spent repairing your bike, if it went down, vs the price of a new tyre. affraid
You have two patches of rubber in contact with the bitumin, both the size of a credit card. If the contact patch of the front tyre, the most important one, is slightly smaller due to tyre wear, then your grip is decreased as a result. 
As I've stated previously, I replace my tyres in pairs. 
It seems a lot of guys ride their tyres until they are way past their useful life. Claims of 12000km +
I don't think I've ever gone far past 7000km, mostly on sports bikes admittedly. I will report on longevity with the Bandits when I buy my next set of hoops. 
Just my 2c worth.

I agree with you.... different bikes and different tyres do wear.. differently though....

I will say that my rear was rather done, but the front does have plenty of tread left....

Mechanic did say he could sell me some fancy sport tyres that would last about 2000km, so yeah horses for courses.

I actually think that 12,000 on the PRs is good.... some people say 20,000, but I think they mustn't turn on the engine....

stu

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Thu 04 Sep 2014, 9:37 pm

Like Bosco, I've always replaced both front and rear together, usually though the front has something more in it (but hey, who wants another trip to the tyre shop).  But then, I haven't had less than 16,000 kms out of the PR2/3s so I figure I've gotten my monies worth, but coasting down those hills is a pain ( Wink Wink).  But this forum has highlighted how different riding styles make such a huge difference to tyre wear (eh Jim Coleman and !tag Razz ), so comparing mileage from tyres by different riders is a nugatory exercise, and hence best left to the end of day ale at the pub!  drunken  cheers
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  stu Thu 04 Sep 2014, 9:41 pm

I like my local place.... "I need a tyre".

"Okay", starts rolling it into the garage to do it right then and there.

Good stuff....

Gotta say, not much coasting around here.... Cool 

But yeah leaning towards new front as well. That new rear felt good.

stu

Back to top Go down

Another tyre thread Empty Another Tyre Tread

Post  Re-Cycled Thu 04 Sep 2014, 9:43 pm

Nugatory! Oooo new word for today.

Lets not forget the effect of incorrect tyre pressure to further complicate things.

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Thu 04 Sep 2014, 9:58 pm

Re-Cycled wrote:Nugatory! Oooo new word for today.

Lets not forget the effect of incorrect tyre pressure to further complicate things.
I assume he meant the waste of time one ...................... Laughing 
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nugatory

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Thu 04 Sep 2014, 10:02 pm

Hollowayism??? But yeah, a waste of time (but not if you're all pissed - then it's fun and entertainment combined).
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  stu Thu 04 Sep 2014, 10:04 pm

Ewok1958 wrote:(but not if you're all pissed - then it's fun and entertainment combined).

I'm with this guy What a Face   Surprised

stu

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Thu 04 Sep 2014, 10:06 pm

Ewok1958 wrote:Hollowayism??? But yeah, a waste of time (but not if you're all pissed - then it's fun and entertainment combined).
LOL did you scroll down ? Laughing

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Thu 04 Sep 2014, 10:23 pm

My front PR2 is now flat in the middle and flat on both sides. Time to replace it for sure but for some reason it still steers well. It's usually a pig by now and one tyre I had wouldn't flop onto the right hand side.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Fri 05 Sep 2014, 8:13 am

What do you feel apart from the grip (traction)?

There are a couple of issues:

1. Some tyres turn to crap in the last 1/3 to 1/4 of their life, however, my experience is that Michelins retain their performance pretty well;
2. Profile.  As you wear the sides off the front, the tyre profile changes.  This will be felt as a tendency to 'drop-in' to corners, but probably no worse than a triangular tyre anyway and will exacerbate the Bandit's already strong tendency to stand-up under brakes.

Your original question was should you replace the front?  If you don't want to spend the dough and are not concerned by any adverse traits then I can see no real need. 

IMO we generally ride so far from the limits of traction that I don't really see an issue.  If traction is such a concern then go to sport tyres (and watch out when the temps drop near freezing!).

Cheers
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down