Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Penrite HPR 10 Gas

+6
Kiwisteve
Jimmy the Boy
Cal
Bosco15
#Tag
BanditDoug
10 posters

Go down

Penrite HPR 10 Gas Empty Penrite HPR 10 Gas

Post  BanditDoug Sat 07 Jun 2014, 9:31 pm

Penrite HP 10 Gas

I use Penrite in my cars and love it.    Struggle to get the Penrite bike oil but as their website says the HPR 10 gas is bike suitable am curious to see if any us it in their Bandits and if so any issues?

BanditDoug

Back to top Go down

Penrite HPR 10 Gas Empty Re: Penrite HPR 10 Gas

Post  #Tag Sat 07 Jun 2014, 11:16 pm

I run Penrite Everyday 10/40  Fully Synthetic- bike safe (its JASO MA rated) and comes in Mineral, Semi-Synth and Full-Synth flavours.

I change oil when the gearbox becomes less than Suzukislick.

With standard mineral oils that was usually around 4-5k km.
With the Penrite its around 7-8k km making this effectively the same price/km as mineral.

I run 10/10ths Penrite in my 690 Duke (a high tune single with relatively small sump capacity) and am quite happy with it.

Background - my bike does no commuting. Its all long runs so condensation, deposits and time between changes are of low concern.
#Tag
#Tag

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Sun 08 Jun 2014, 1:43 pm

Bought oiler 1200 from Rolls. He had been running Penrite diesel.
I had not heard of this before, so did some research on the subject.
No friction modifiers and a high zinc content, which provides a last line defense against bearing damage.

Back to top Go down

Post  Cal Sun 08 Jun 2014, 8:56 pm

I have used hp 10 gas for my 1250, three oil changes so far and all feels/sounds good. Last dump was really clean.

Penrite have a new Motorcycle range out now which I may move to if suitable: http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products-categ.php?id_categ=7&id_subcateg=95
Cal
Cal

http://www.calvinharris.photography

Back to top Go down

Post  #Tag Mon 09 Jun 2014, 10:04 am

Just to pull the words under consideration from Cal's link:

Motorcycle & Passenger Car Compatible Oils
If you are need products that cover both your 2 & 4 wheel vehicles there are Penrite Oils that are compatible with both Motor Cars and Cycles either Petrol, LPG or Diesel.
Some products can be used in your Motor Cycle, Motor Car & Truck including heavy diesel vehicles and stationery engines if one oil has to do it all!
Everyday Full Synthetic 10W-40 Full Synthetic
HPR 5 5W-40 Full Synthetic
HPR Gas 10 10W-50 Semi Synthetic
HPR Gas 20W-60 Premium Mineral
HPR Diesel 5 5W-40 Semi Synthetic
HPR Diesel 15 15W-50 Semi Synthetic
HPR Diesel 20W-60 Premium Mineral
Racing 20 20W-60
Premium 0 0W-50
Premium 5 5W-60
Premium 10 10W-70

I noted "including heavy diesel vehicles and stationery engines" - if Penrite can protect an engine made out of paper it must be good.
It's not specifically stated but you may be able to use it in stationary engines too.
#Tag
#Tag

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimmy the Boy Mon 09 Jun 2014, 2:09 pm

G'day Doug, I have used Penrite HPR GAS 10-50 Semi Synthetic for years and swear by it. Ran it through my first TL 1000 then for 5 years through my '04 Bandit 1200. I will be putting in my next TL 1000 when an oil change is due. Never had a drama, always silky gearbox function. It also has high zinc and no friction modifiers which is what your looking for in regards to clutch slip. The best part about it is the price, usually around $40 for 5 litres but you can find it on special at Supercheap sometimes for much less. I bought 2x5 litre bottles for $60 last time there was a deal on. I notice Penrite now do a Motorcycle oil but if you read the fine print I could almost bet my left nut its the same oil. You see, the marketing gurus have realised that the minute you put a picture of a motorcycle on the label you can double the price. Just like spark plugs, filters.................... and so on. Hope this helps you out. 

ps I have no affiliation with Penrite, just a happy customer. Smile
Jimmy the Boy
Jimmy the Boy

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwisteve Mon 09 Jun 2014, 8:57 pm

So, has anyone had any problems changing over from motorbike specific oil to, say, HPR GAS 10-50 ?
I have no idea what sort of problems, if any, would occur. Just asking

Cruise n Comfort seat cover
Kiwisteve
Kiwisteve

Back to top Go down

Post  Cal Mon 09 Jun 2014, 10:18 pm

After the engine rebuild it was fine.......just kidding  Laughing , none at all - just dump old oil and fill with new after sump plug refitted and filter replaced of course.
Cal
Cal

http://www.calvinharris.photography

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwisteve Tue 10 Jun 2014, 7:03 am

Cal wrote:After the engine rebuild it was fine.......just kidding  Laughing , none at all - just dump old oil and fill with new after sump plug refitted and filter replaced of course.

Cool, I'll give it a go when I run out of the oil I have

Cruise n Comfort seat cover
Kiwisteve
Kiwisteve

Back to top Go down

Post  1wheeldrive Sun 22 Jun 2014, 7:00 pm

http://netrider.net.au/threads/the-oil-controversy-thread.74009/

You guys no doubt have an oil debate raging in here somewhere, but the above link is also entertaining. Hours of good stuff.

1wheeldrive

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimmy the Boy Thu 31 Jul 2014, 10:18 am

For anyone thats interested, this came in the mail today. The special is on till the 10th of August at Supercheap. This is the Penrite oil mentioned by me in the above post.

Penrite HPR 10 Gas <a href=Penrite HPR 10 Gas Img_0813" />
Jimmy the Boy
Jimmy the Boy

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Sun 03 Aug 2014, 8:06 pm

I'm running Penrite HPR 10 Gas all but two of our machines and those things are using Caltex Delo 400 cause I've got heaps of it in the shed.

The Penrite goes into:
The Wee (or it did till it went to it's new owner).
The Dino
The Grand Vitara
The Pajero
Those that know anything about the last 3 will know they can be finiky turds of things when it comes to oil but so far I've had good results compared to other oils I've used in the past, including oil sampling results for the GV that say I could go longer between oil changes.

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Mon 04 Aug 2014, 5:58 am

Just reading the owners manual on my CBR650 Bandit

It specifies 10W-30 SG or higher MA engine oil

Interestingly it recommends an oil change interval of 12,000Km with a filter change at the same time

The Bandit recommended oil change at 6000Km and filter every 18,000Km. (I always changed both at 6000Km)

According to some Google research (it must be true if it is on the internet!), SG oil spec is obsolete, the current one being SN

All this aside, I used to use Motul 5100 semi synthetic in the Bandit (because that was the motorcycle shop recommendation)

Some of the product brochures have some amazing statements like "our product has an extra layer of zinc"

Why do we not use regular (non-synthetic) engine oil which is API SL MA specified?

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Mon 04 Aug 2014, 11:00 am

BanditDave wrote:Just reading the owners manual on my CBR650 Bandit

It specifies 10W-30 SG or higher MA engine oil

Interestingly it recommends an oil change interval of 12,000Km with a filter change at the same time

The Bandit recommended oil change at 6000Km and filter every 18,000Km. (I always changed both at 6000Km)

According to some Google research (it must be true if it is on the internet!), SG oil spec is obsolete, the current one being SN

All this aside, I used to use Motul 5100 semi synthetic in the Bandit (because that was the motorcycle shop recommendation)

Some of the product brochures have some amazing statements like "our product has an extra layer of zinc"

Why do we not use regular (non-synthetic) engine oil which is API SL MA specified?
 Regular oil is fine as long as it meets specification , but it does break down quicker ( sheer quality ) & can sludge more after extended time , so should be changed sooner than semi synthetic from all the info I have read .
After seeing how dirty oil gets after 6,000km , there is no way I would leave it in my bike for 12,000km ( including the filter )I think some manufacturers extend intervals to make their bikes sound cheaper to maintain ..............Ducati springs to mind .Zinc in our oil is fairly important from what I have read & fresh oil is fairly cheap insurance for engine longevity so a good oil with equivalent or higher rating changed with the filter at regular intervals not too far apart  is a no-brainer  IMO    Very Happy

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down