Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aftermarket starter just on the market

4 posters

Go down

Aftermarket starter just on the market Empty Aftermarket starter just on the market

Post  kewwig Sun 16 Mar 2014, 1:07 pm

Given the increasing number of 1250 starter failures it will be interesting to see what sort of quality this aftermarket starter is.  Suzuki NZ want $1100 for a starter so this and the OEM one ex USA are much cheaper:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STARTER-MOTOR-TO-FIT-GSF1250-GSF-1250-BANDIT-NEW-PART-SUZUKI-RRP-43700-/111293341069

At least we are seeing aftermarket starters, radiators and fuel pumps available now!
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Aftermarket starter just on the market Empty Re: Aftermarket starter just on the market

Post  2wheelsagain Sun 16 Mar 2014, 1:34 pm

I'd love to have a look inside because if its the same as the Suzuki crap its still no good.
Touch wood my second one (used) is about to clock up the same km as the original.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Aftermarket starter just on the market Empty Re: Aftermarket starter just on the market

Post  kewwig Sun 16 Mar 2014, 1:38 pm

Yes, I know what you mean!
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Mon 17 Mar 2014, 5:27 pm

I have sent the seller a message to ask where the starters are made/build quality so will update you all on receipt of a reply.  I am off the England for a week in May and thinking of buying one as a spare.  Worst case I won't need it and will sell if to some other poor sod with starter failure.
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 17 Mar 2014, 5:38 pm

The later ones seem to be OK although built the same.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Mon 17 Mar 2014, 6:18 pm

The latest I have seen is 2010 so one hopes build quality improved.  The part numbers remain unchanged
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  SolomonKane Tue 18 Mar 2014, 9:57 am

Hadn't heard about failures with Bandit starter motors.

I'm buying some parts off a 2009 Suzuki Bandit that's being wrecked. Would it be a good idea to buy the Starter Motor just in case? I've emailed the guy for a price.
SolomonKane
SolomonKane

Back to top Go down

Post  SolomonKane Tue 18 Mar 2014, 10:03 am

Also had no idea about aftermarket radiators so ran a search. Do you mean like this one?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aluminum-Replacement-Radiator-Cooler-FOR-SUZUKI-BANDIT-GSF1250S-GSF1250-07-13-/200968285408?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item2ecaa4ace0

Wrecker wants $300 for the 2009 secondhand one and that's before delivery. The aftermarket one is going for about $180 delivered.
SolomonKane
SolomonKane

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Tue 18 Mar 2014, 10:18 am

SolomonKane wrote:Hadn't heard about failures with Bandit starter motors.

I'm buying some parts off a 2009 Suzuki Bandit that's being wrecked. Would it be a good idea to buy the Starter Motor just in case? I've emailed the guy for a price.

Mine came off an 09 and was $120 a couple of years ago.
Its a 15 min job to swap. ooks a lot more complicated than it actualy is.

I wouldnt buy one "just in case". You'll have a crack sound for a while as you hit the starter then you'll think the battery is going. The crack is the magnets falling apart. I posted pics here at the time. If you need one you'll get one easily enough.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Tue 18 Mar 2014, 11:19 am

A sure way to have your starter never fail :  Have a back up on the shelf.   Like carrying a puncture repair kit with ya. You'll never need it until you leave it at home.   Laughing
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Tue 18 Mar 2014, 1:52 pm

For the noobs and those wondering what we're on about here's my pics and the whole thread
https://nswbandits.forumotion.net/t1600p30-starter-clunk#21258

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Tue 18 Mar 2014, 3:32 pm

Yes, and if you don't need it I will buy it off you!
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Tue 18 Mar 2014, 6:18 pm

OK, the seller came back to me promptly and said:

Dear kewwig

Hi
I have done some research into this starter motor and the reason the OE type failed was down to the brush armature and the
bonding for the magnets to the outer case. I have had these made taking all that into account.
I am confident that the quality is good as the same company made the XL125V starter for me and I have had no issues with it.
Also the manufacture is not in China as that is were the original were made not Japan! as you would think.

Anything else you would like to know please ask.

Regards
Simon

- mertabs
I have asked for more specifics on the bonding of the magnets and will advise.
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  SolomonKane Wed 19 Mar 2014, 10:42 am

kewwig wrote:

Do you want me to buy it and send it to you mate?

He's asking $175.

If you do want it I'll cover the cost of getting it to me because it will all be part of one large package. All you need to do is pay for the shipping to NZ.

I'll PM this message as well.
SolomonKane
SolomonKane

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Wed 19 Mar 2014, 4:03 pm

SolomonKane wrote:
kewwig wrote:

He's asking $175.

If you do want it I'll cover the cost of getting it to me because it will all be part of one large package. All you need to do is pay for the shipping to NZ.

PM sent.  Having one in case saved me $1100 last time.  Second hand 1250 starters are rare here.

The aftermarket guy came back to me and said they are made in Italy.
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  SolomonKane Wed 19 Mar 2014, 10:57 pm

Sent PM mate.

I've emailed him that you want the starter motor.
SolomonKane
SolomonKane

Back to top Go down

Post  SolomonKane Sat 22 Mar 2014, 11:34 am

kewwig wrote:
SolomonKane wrote:
kewwig wrote:

He's asking $175.

PM sent.  Having one in case saved me $1100 last time.  Second hand 1250 starters are rare here.

The aftermarket guy came back to me and said they are made in Italy.

Everything's being sent to me by courier on Monday. Soon as I have the starter motor I'll get a price for you on shipping to NZ.
SolomonKane
SolomonKane

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Sat 22 Mar 2014, 7:20 pm

Thanks mate.  PM'd you back a couple of minutes ago.
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down