Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suzuki fuel line tried to kill me..... again.

+11
Ewok1958
NTBill
Kaupy1962
Bosco15
stu
madmax
gus
Re-Cycled
kewwig
Boatz
phill north
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Suzuki fuel line tried to kill me..... again. - Page 2 Empty Suzuki fuel line tried to kill me..... again.

Post  phill north Sat 18 Jan 2014, 7:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

Just went for a 4 day ride in the 40 degree heat to the snowy mountains and Bright in Victoria. All was going well until I was 100ks from Bright traveling at 100kph when the 1250 Fa s engine did a big miss and then kept on going for about 2 km. At first I thought that I had a clagged  fuel filter, then the engine did another big miss, the rear of the bike started sliding all over the place and the bike and me almost did a high side then a low side around a corner, all at the same time. We almost ended up in a ditch at the side of the road then bike finally cut out and we glided to a stop. WTF?!!!!. I hit the engine cut off switch and turned off the ignition, got off the bike and started to look for what had happened. Flat tyre? and an engine problem? Nope, just a smell of hot fuel. The skid was caused by a large amount of fuel going over the back wheel. I got out the standard Suzuki toolkit and undid the 2 bolts holding the fuel tank and slid it back to lift it. There it was, the fuel line had disengaged itself from the lower fuel inlet. This is the second time in 2 years that this has happened, and I don't know why it does it. I connected it up again and it seemed to hold ok even when pulled to check that it had clipped properly. The way the bike kept on going after the initial miss for 2 mins and then stopped makes me think that the line comes off in two stages.
    Needless to say, I'm going to replace the line with a new one asap and secure that one with a couple of pull ties to help stop it coming off. 
   The worst case scenario with this fuel line coming off is a firey death after losing control. And in my case this happened on a total fire ban day.
  Has anybody else had these fuel line connecters on their Bandit or GSX1250 Fa come off ?

Last edited by phill north on Sat 18 Jan 2014, 9:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
phill north
phill north

Back to top Go down

Suzuki fuel line tried to kill me..... again. - Page 2 Empty Re: Suzuki fuel line tried to kill me..... again.

Post  paul Mon 23 Jun 2014, 7:54 pm

kewwig wrote:A loop round the line and one around the spigot could be joined by a 3rd cable tie (imagine handcuffs)

The handcuffs are more Hammy's territory  Embarassed   Razz 
 I wonder if the superseded ones are any different ? ( I'm sure I read it somewhere ) Question .............yep it was Phill

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Suzuki fuel line tried to kill me..... again. - Page 2 Empty Re: Suzuki fuel line tried to kill me..... again.

Post  reddog Wed 25 Jun 2014, 7:12 pm

Kewwig is onto it. That's exactly what I was thinking. I've had mine off a few times and had no death defying moments yet.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  phill north Sat 28 Jun 2014, 5:54 pm

Worked out how to put some pull ties on the bottom connector, but cant work out how to secure a couple on the top connector. New fuel line and connectors look the same as the old ones. Still makes me wonder about the fuel pump pressure regulator, if it could be dodgy.
phill north
phill north

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Sat 28 Jun 2014, 6:52 pm

Phil, Supercheap sells packets of self-adhesive stick-on bases for securing things with cable ties (they're in the same section). Just stick one to the bottom of the tank.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  #Tag Sun 29 Jun 2014, 9:36 am

I've ordered the ? new model one.

Original was 15810-18H00. New part is 15810-18H10

I'll post up if there's any difference.
#Tag
#Tag

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sun 29 Jun 2014, 10:59 am

Is this marked on the hose?

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  #Tag Sun 29 Jun 2014, 3:08 pm

I'll let you know next week when it turns up.  Cos I'm way to lazy to open the bike up if I don't have to.
#Tag
#Tag

Back to top Go down

Post  NTBill Sun 29 Jun 2014, 6:26 pm

If there's been a problem with the hose (connectors) that warrants a redesign and a new part number, then I'd have thought this would be in recall land with wording along the lines that "rider may become doused in fuel and go up in flames..".or words to that effect.

Will be interested to see if the different part number has a different coupling.
Apparently some bikes have a double lock mechanism (2 clicks) as opposed to the bandits single.

We're about to have cracker night up here (NT still allows) so they'll be plenty of people going up in flames anyway on July 1.

I wonder if we'll get more headlines like the one a couple of years back - front page relating to a story about a burns victim.... ..."why I put a cracker up my clacker".  A good headline but we have to share our roads with them.... What a Face

Back to top Go down

Post  doubleD Sat 12 Jul 2014, 5:31 am

Suzuki fuel line tried to kill me..... again. - Page 2 Img_4711
I just got a new fuel line.  The plastic clip is now grey.  As you can see in my photo the 2007 fuel line is way too open.  I think this fuel line is a "one time use."  I paid $67 through www.bikebandit.com  I only removed the fuel line to remove the TB.
I will never remove it again.

doubleD

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2