Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heat and the Bandit!

+15
stu
GGiant
phill north
Chook
NTBill
Hammy
Kaupy1962
Corsa79
Cal
paul
Re-Cycled
B1250_Jim
jstava
madmax
Truck bandit
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Heat and the Bandit! - Page 2 Empty Heat and the Bandit!

Post  Truck bandit Wed 15 Jan 2014, 8:38 am

First topic message reminder :

I'm reading some other posts and seeing the reports about the heatwave in WA, SA and VIC at the moment and it got me thinking of how well the Bandit deals with hot conditions and what conditions people have ridden in.

I took my 2005 through temps of about 34 deg in Gippsland last year on the way to the Island Classic. It was warm going but fine whilst I was still moving, different story when I stopped at traffic lights. It was hot in the leathers. Bikewise the engine performed well and the braided brake lines not a problem. I had the '05 in about 2 deg at Mt Hotham one year and the heaviest torrential rain near Cann River in 2012. Also, heavy fog blanketed my ride from Bairnsdale to Morwell in 2010. All I could do was site in behind a semi trailer and let him lead the way and clear a bit of fog out of the way.

Overall, I found the Bandit to perform well in all these conditions.

What have others experienced????

Back to top Go down

Heat and the Bandit! - Page 2 Empty Re: Heat and the Bandit!

Post  Bosco15 Fri 31 Jan 2014, 12:46 pm

Jimmy.  Don't worry about your cooling system if it's well maintained and in good working order.  
Modern pressurised systems are very good at keeping the engine at a happy temp. 
Pure water boils at 100c at atmospheric pressure.  
Adding things to the water such as salt, for boiling your spuds, or coolant, raises that boiling point.  
Raising the pressure by adding a radiator cap also raises the point at which your coolant will boil.  Roughly every PSI raises the boiling point by one degree C. So with a 15psi cap on your system 110c is still well below boiling.  
Another thing to think about is the temperature differential.  That is, the difference between your coolant temp and the ambient temp of the air flowing through your radiator.  So on a 43c day and your running at 86c then your rad has to get rid of 43c. At 110c it has to get rid of 67c. Easy for an efficient modern system.  
Air cooled motors are a different kettle of fish.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimmy the Boy Fri 31 Jan 2014, 3:09 pm

Thanks for the piece of mind Bosco, your a wise man.  Smile
Jimmy the Boy
Jimmy the Boy

Back to top Go down

Post  Speed Dealer Mon 24 Mar 2014, 1:33 am

I ride my Bandit to work everyday and during the summer it would average 35-40 degrees on the 40km ride home. That's in slow peak hour traffic with the hot bitumen and car engines adding a few more degrees. I may have been dying in the heat, but the bike never even flinched.
Speed Dealer
Speed Dealer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2