Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oil Question?

+12
Jimcoleman
madmax
paul
Tsim
Ewok1958
talon440
stu
Bosco15
Hammy
gazzar
2wheelsagain
Jimmy the Boy
16 posters

Go down

Oil Question? Empty Oil Question?

Post  Jimmy the Boy Sun 05 Jan 2014, 10:29 pm

Just want to know what my good friends here think about this situation.

Just say you purchased a second hand bike that had been running a certain engine oil. You know this engine is a quality product and would be happy to keep using it. The only spanner in the works is you have 4x5ltr containers of another engine oil that you also know is a quality product, thats why you have 20lts of it in your garage.

Do you drain the current oil when its time to do it and the filter and change to the one you have always used? If so do you use some sort of flushing agent to rid it of the old oil.
Or do you bite the bullet and go and buy more of the same oil its been running ( which is bloody expensive ) and let the oil in your garage go to waste as you have no other vehicle it suits.

Look forward to your input, thankyou all, Jimmy.
Jimmy the Boy
Jimmy the Boy

Back to top Go down

Oil Question? Empty Re: Oil Question?

Post  2wheelsagain Sun 05 Jan 2014, 10:34 pm

Jimmy the Boy wrote:Just want to know what my good friends here think about this situation.

Just say you purchased a second hand bike that had been running a certain engine oil. You know this engine is a quality product and would be happy to keep using it. The only spanner in the works is you have 4x5ltr containers of another engine oil that you also know is a quality product, thats why you have 20lts of it in your garage.

Do you drain the current oil when its time to do it and the filter and change to the one you have always used? If so do you use some sort of flushing agent to rid it of the old oil.
Or do you bite the bullet and go and buy more of the same oil its been running ( which is bloody expensive ) and let the oil in your garage go to waste as you have no other vehicle it suits.

Look forward to your input, thankyou all, Jimmy.
If the oil is the same spec I'd use it no problem. If the new oil is lighter I'd give it a go and see if there were any consumption issues.
You have 20lt and you cant do anything else with it so you might as well try it.

For what its worth I wish I could still get the Mobil 1 I used to run in the RF900R. I reckon that was the best oil I have ever used.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  gazzar Sun 05 Jan 2014, 11:36 pm

Same as above,why waste it a.
gazzar
gazzar

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Mon 06 Jan 2014, 8:43 am

Yes, use it. And no need to flush your engine. Drain well. The amount that is left will have very little effect on the new oil. Give us a report after you have done the change Jimmy. Bet you hardly notice a difference.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimmy the Boy Mon 06 Jan 2014, 10:26 am

Thanks Guys, thats what I was hoping most of you would say. Ive since been doing some research and comparisons on other forums and the oil currently being used is getting some not so good reviews anyway. Having said that, there are also good reviews. But its the old chicken or the egg thing with oils as we all know, so I'll be running the one I have always run and never had an issue.
As an add on: One of the reviews of the current oil was done by an Aussie gentleman who works in an oil testing laboratory. He rides a GXR1000 and has done some regular testing on his own oils and has got some interesting results. The viscosity of the oil I'm running broke down ( thinned out ) more than 20% in only 5000kms which is way too much and therefore he will never use it again. He then used the next oil up the ladder from the same manufacturer with no problem at all. I'm happy to PM anyone who wants to know which oils they were, but its not fair of me to put it up on here willy-nilly. Thanks again, Jimmy.
Jimmy the Boy
Jimmy the Boy

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Mon 06 Jan 2014, 11:04 am

Please pm me the good oil on the good oil that was the good oil and which one broke down. 
Always good to know about quality testing.  
Thanks Jimmy.

Back to top Go down

Post  stu Mon 06 Jan 2014, 12:32 pm

Jimmy the Boy wrote:Thanks Guys, thats what I was hoping most of you would say. Ive since been doing some research and comparisons on other forums and the oil currently being used is getting some not so good reviews anyway. Having said that, there are also good reviews. But its the old chicken or the egg thing with oils as we all know, so I'll be running the one I have always run and never had an issue.
As an add on: One of the reviews of the current oil was done by an Aussie gentleman who works in an oil testing laboratory. He rides a GXR1000 and has done some regular testing on his own oils and has got some interesting results. The viscosity of the oil I'm running broke down ( thinned out ) more than 20% in only 5000kms which is way too much and therefore he will never use it again. He then used the next oil up the ladder from the same manufacturer with no problem at all. I'm happy to PM anyone who wants to know which oils they were, but its not fair of me to put it up on here willy-nilly. Thanks again, Jimmy.

I too would like to be pmed the info.

Thanks.  Very Happy

stu

Back to top Go down

Post  talon440 Mon 06 Jan 2014, 3:48 pm

Jimmy the Boy wrote:Thanks Guys, thats what I was hoping most of you would say. Ive since been doing some research and comparisons on other forums and the oil currently being used is getting some not so good reviews anyway. Having said that, there are also good reviews. But its the old chicken or the egg thing with oils as we all know, so I'll be running the one I have always run and never had an issue.

could you PM me aslo thanks jimmy, when you drain the old oil leave the drain plug off  for about 1/2 hour till the drips stop same with the filter just let the old oil drip out before fitting the new filter, should have no problems
talon440
talon440

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Mon 06 Jan 2014, 6:20 pm

Could you also PM that oil info thanks JTB - I do my own changes so it might be stuff I'm using. Ta.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Tsim Mon 06 Jan 2014, 6:49 pm

+1 for the PM please.
Tsim
Tsim

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Mon 06 Jan 2014, 6:50 pm

Me too please, or you could just name & shame instead   Very Happy

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Mon 06 Jan 2014, 7:24 pm

paul wrote:Me too please, or you could just name & shame instead   Very Happy
Its looking like it would be easier.

Add me to your PM list please Jimmy

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Mon 06 Jan 2014, 8:34 pm

No no no jimmy dont do it
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  Boatz Mon 06 Jan 2014, 9:35 pm

I would like to know as well Jimmy.  Cheers.

Maintenance Tip " IT'S NOT RIGHT TILL ALL THE BOLTS ARE TIGHT"
Boatz
Boatz

Back to top Go down

Post  Baz Mon 06 Jan 2014, 9:57 pm

me too Jimmy

Kawa GPZ900R
Hyo GV650 Aquila
GSF1250SA Bandit
GSX1250FA
currently BMW R1200RT
Baz
Baz

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Mon 06 Jan 2014, 10:02 pm

LOL ..................just spell them wrong or something ,( nothing too cryptic though ) & post it . Laughing

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimmy the Boy Tue 07 Jan 2014, 12:33 pm

I hope Ive PM'd everyone. I didn't have anything to do with the testing so Im not going to say if its any good or not, thats up to individuals to decide. I just thought I'd show you this fellas results as food for thought. I would never say anything derogatory about this company as I think they've proven that they know a bit more about oil than I do. I am running said oil in my TL currently and have no intention of dropping it until its due to be done ( about 2000kms ) so personally Im not at all concerned. Hope I didn't unnecessarily stir up a hornets nest. If you went to the site I said you would have also seen people that have used it for 10yrs with no problem and will continue to do so.
On another note ( here we go again ) I was interested to see how many people use Amasoil and swear by it, Ive never heard of it. Anyone on here use or used it? Seems to be on a lot of US sites. Cheers Jimmy.
Jimmy the Boy
Jimmy the Boy

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Tue 07 Jan 2014, 2:16 pm

Jimmy the Boy wrote:I hope Ive PM'd everyone. I didn't have anything to do with the testing so Im not going to say if its any good or not, thats up to individuals to decide. I just thought I'd show you this fellas results as food for thought. I would never say anything derogatory about this company as I think they've proven that they know a bit more about oil than I do. I am running said oil in my TL currently and have no intention of dropping it until its due to be done ( about 2000kms ) so personally Im not at all concerned. Hope I didn't unnecessarily stir up a hornets nest. If you went to the site I said you would have also seen people that have used it for 10yrs with no problem and will continue to do so.
On another note ( here we go again ) I was interested to see how many people use Amasoil and swear by it, Ive never heard of it. Anyone on here use or used it? Seems to be on a lot of US sites. Cheers Jimmy.

I never got a PM Sad
Jimmy hates me now that I have a Honda V Twin  pale

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  WISA Tue 07 Jan 2014, 3:18 pm

The 20% (and usually greater) reduction in working (hot) viscosity of lesser oils (non synthetic based), has been known for quite a while now.

The reduction primarily relates to the level of 'viscosity improvers' in the oil's additive package. The VI's breakdown with use (especially in combined engine/trans designs sharing same oil) and leave you with a progressively lower working (hot) viscosity. The same thing can happen to some synthetic oils to, but usually to a lesser extent as synthetics are less dependent on VIs than mineral based oils.

The best oil choice.........use a fully synthetic based oil with the following qualities/performance........JASO MA rated/certified, non friction modified, low shear/shear free formula, appropriate multi-viscosity range per your local climate and the bike's 'visco' needs....

cheers

WISA

Back to top Go down

Post  B1250_Jim Tue 07 Jan 2014, 5:09 pm

I can has PM too? Smile

I am currently using Penrite Ten Tenths 10w-40 .. full synth n doesn't cost a shitload.. trick is to buy a 5L bottle or 2 when they have their 20% off days Smile

B1250_Jim

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Tue 07 Jan 2014, 6:13 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:
Jimmy the Boy wrote:I hope Ive PM'd everyone. I didn't have anything to do with the testing so Im not going to say if its any good or not, thats up to individuals to decide. I just thought I'd show you this fellas results as food for thought. I would never say anything derogatory about this company as I think they've proven that they know a bit more about oil than I do. I am running said oil in my TL currently and have no intention of dropping it until its due to be done ( about 2000kms ) so personally Im not at all concerned. Hope I didn't unnecessarily stir up a hornets nest. If you went to the site I said you would have also seen people that have used it for 10yrs with no problem and will continue to do so.

I never got a PM Sad
Jimmy hates me now that I have a Honda V Twin  pale

LOL................. outcast .................. lol!  lol! . I got one  tongue   Razz  Razz

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Tue 07 Jan 2014, 6:35 pm

It's a Suzuki V Honda thing.    Rolling Eyes 
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  stu Thu 23 Jan 2014, 12:05 pm

Thanks for info... I was never that keen on it anyway.... bought a few bottles of it cos it was going cheap....

Draining the last of it out now (done 3800km on it, time enough anyway) and replacing with some FRENCH stuff - Ipone semi-synethetic R4000RS 10W40.... my local mechanic says it's good stuff, and not too exy at $62 for 4L.

I do so like fresh oil Smile

stu

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Thu 23 Jan 2014, 12:14 pm

Let's hope that the French oil is better quality than their cars. Lol

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down