Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RadGaurd radiator gaurd.

+5
reddog
2wheelsagain
Dekenai
mtbeerwah
Hammy
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

RadGaurd  radiator gaurd. Empty RadGaurd radiator gaurd.

Post  Hammy Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:32 am

For those of you that have not heard.  On the trip down south I had a little oops when I hit the front edge of an old wooden bridge a bit hard on the first day. Forks bottomed out. Blew the L/H fork seal and then later in Cowra realised that the back bottom edge of the front mudguard had came up over the bottom edge of the RadGaurd frame and then on the way back down had snapped off a small piece of the mudguard right in the middle. Am still in two minds whether to buy a new one, $250, or just trim the 20mm off the bottom and not worry about it.  Anyway.  I sent Radgaurd an email. Paul from Radgaurd just rang me here at work and asked me what had happened. I explained it all. He offered to do a mod to my radguard so that it will not happen again. They will weld in a flat piece of aluminium in the centre so that it is smooth and will not catch. Also rebuff it all and make it look like new. I told him that was nice but that would not help much with the $250 for a new mudguard. He told me to do the trimming option and that I would not be able to tell. I told him that if I did that then I would not have the problem of it snagging again, would I ?  Silence.  Oh well, what can you do.  They're in Sydney and I'm up here in sunny Qld.  I will post it down to them just in case I go with the new option. I will trim it first and see what I think.  End of story......for now.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

RadGaurd  radiator gaurd. Empty Re: RadGaurd radiator gaurd.

Post  mtbeerwah Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:57 am

so obviously the tolerance is that close, that they interfere with each other at full stroke?

that's not good, especially if it had done damage to your cooler in the middle of no where!

oh well..make sure plenty of clearance now.
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Thu 07 Nov 2013, 11:07 am

Hammy, have a lovely carbon fibre guard for sale if you want one...its only wafer thin
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Thu 07 Nov 2013, 1:14 pm

Dekenai wrote:Hammy, have a lovely carbon fibre guard for sale if you want one...its only wafer thin
Mmmmmmmm.   Can you post a pic ?   And how much ?
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Thu 07 Nov 2013, 2:25 pm

The Beowulf guard has this "strike area" so the front guard doesn't catch.
RadGaurd  radiator gaurd. 1250%2520BANDIT%2520RAD_FS__23485_zoom
My Warpspeed shows signs on the very lip of being caught but it hasn't done any damage to either guard.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Thu 07 Nov 2013, 6:44 pm

Hammy wrote:
Dekenai wrote:Hammy, have a lovely carbon fibre guard for sale if you want one...its only wafer thin
Mmmmmmmm.   Can you post a pic ?   And how much ?
RadGaurd  radiator gaurd. DSC00499

I'd like to clear a hundred for it, so postage at cost...probably about $15 - $20 dollars. It's the same pattern as standard but thinner, so you need to reduce/remove the lips on the standard mount washers or pad with some rubber washers.

Cheers Peter
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Thu 07 Nov 2013, 11:06 pm

Dek if that was a GSX1400 type guard I'd buy it quick smart.I hate the Batman guard on my bike. I'll find something that fits or that I can modify to fit soon.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Thu 07 Nov 2013, 11:09 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:The Beowulf guard has this "strike area" so the front guard doesn't catch.
RadGaurd  radiator gaurd. 1250%2520BANDIT%2520RAD_FS__23485_zoom
My Warpspeed shows signs on the very lip of being caught but it hasn't done any damage to either guard.
Yeah my warpspeed guard is good to go too.I haven't seen Warpy for quite some time (WarpSpeed is/was a Perth lad).I am not sure if he is still making guards to be honest. Last time I saw him he was sponsoring a BMW S1000RR race bike that Dan Stauffer took the WA Superbike title out with,
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimmy the Boy Fri 08 Nov 2013, 7:41 am

Are the Warpspeed radiator guards a good product guys? Im looking for one for the TL and he has them for sale for about $200. I'll buy one if you've tried them and they work. I like the way he has a finer mesh than similar products, but it doesn't restrict airflow ( apparently ).
Jimmy the Boy
Jimmy the Boy

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Fri 08 Nov 2013, 1:24 pm

Damn that is expensive.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 08 Nov 2013, 1:42 pm

Jimmy the Boy wrote:Are the Warpspeed radiator guards a good product guys? Im looking for one for the TL and he has them for sale for about $200. I'll buy one if you've tried them and they work. I like the way he has a finer mesh than similar products, but it doesn't restrict airflow ( apparently ).
Yeah mate they work. I have a dent to prove it!
I think they are around $100 for the B1250 and I assume the TL has a double cooler set up.
Rated R parts on eBay is where I got mine from and mine was shipped minus a rubber piece and Steve from Rated R was fantastic to deal with. Sent the missing piece and a heap of stickers and a voucher for another purchase.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Fri 15 Nov 2013, 9:10 pm

So I got my Radiator Guard back from the nice lads at RadGuard yesterday.  They had welded a small flat plate in the centre at the bottom of the frame. Smoothed it all off nicely.  Rebuffed the whole guard. New protective rubbers. New sticker.  Maybe it's a new guard. scratch .  Also gave me a magazine. Some stickers aaaaaaaand, a Stubby cooler. cheers .
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Fri 15 Nov 2013, 9:14 pm

Hammy wrote: a Stubby cooler. cheers .
'cause you probably need a few more after giving all those others away.

Oh and that's great customer service

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Fri 15 Nov 2013, 9:19 pm

madmax wrote:

I think they got out of it pretty cheaply.  If I lived close by down there I would have taken my busted fender in to them and shown them what their guard had done.  That would not have been nice. Evil or Very Mad .
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Fri 15 Nov 2013, 9:26 pm

do you think an extender fender may help stop this problem ?

You could colour match one & fit to your now shortened guard as well  Very Happy

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Fri 15 Nov 2013, 9:40 pm

Hammy wrote:
madmax wrote:

I think they got out of it pretty cheaply.  If I lived close by down there I would have taken my busted fender in to them and shown them what their guard had done.  That would not have been nice. Evil or Very Mad .
Okay.....so how far from the radiator does this guard sit? Is it possible that the fender would have hit the radiator if the guard wasn't there, and damaged both the radiator and the fender?
In all fairness to them if they have never seen or heard of it happening then their design would never change. Feedback good and bad is important to all manufacturers. IMHO its only worth going off at them when they refuse to do anything about it.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 15 Nov 2013, 10:16 pm

madmax wrote:
Hammy wrote:
madmax wrote:

Okay.....so how far from the radiator does this guard sit? Is it possible that the fender would have hit the radiator if the guard wasn't there, and damaged both the radiator and the fender?
In all fairness to them if they have never seen or heard of it happening then their design would never change. Feedback good and bad is important to all manufacturers. IMHO its only worth going off at them when they refuse to do anything about it.
It was a common complaint on Maximum Suzuki forum before I got jack of the sooky yanks. Most hacked off 40mm or so from the guard. 
My guard sits flat against the rad and out about 4mm and I've caught the bottom lip at some stage.  So there's not much clearance.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sat 16 Nov 2013, 7:39 am

paul wrote:do you think an extender fender may help stop this problem ?

You could colour match one & fit to your now shortened guard as well  Very Happy
Soory,  I don't like the look of fender extenders.   Do you have an extention of some sort Paul ?  Embarassed
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sat 16 Nov 2013, 7:43 am

madmax wrote:
Hammy wrote:
madmax wrote:

It would not have hit the radiator without it being there.  Obviously they did not take into account the possibility of the forks bottoming out.  They did tell me on the phone that they have changed their design to incorporate the flush plate.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sat 16 Nov 2013, 8:13 am

Hammy wrote:

Soory,  I don't like the look of fender extenders.   Do you have an extention of some sort Paul ?  Embarassed
lol!

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sat 16 Nov 2013, 8:15 am

Hammy wrote:
madmax wrote:
Hammy wrote:
madmax wrote:

It would not have hit the radiator without it being there.  Obviously they did not take into account the possibility of the forks bottoming out.  They did tell me on the phone that they have changed their design to incorporate the flush plate.
So what's the plan for the fender, trim it down?

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sat 16 Nov 2013, 9:12 am

Hammy wrote:

Only the missus  Razz Razz

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Sat 16 Nov 2013, 10:41 am

madmax wrote: So what's the plan for the fender, trim it down?
could do that,

could redesign cooler guard,

could play with suspension to control compression dampening, ( general suspension upgrade ).
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sat 16 Nov 2013, 2:58 pm

madmax wrote:
Hammy wrote:
madmax wrote:
Hammy wrote:
madmax wrote:

So what's the plan for the fender, trim it down?
Shit. Already did that mate. Looks like a bought one.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sat 16 Nov 2013, 3:00 pm

paul wrote:
Hammy wrote:

Only the missus  Razz Razz
You wait till I come down there.  I'm going to tell her that.   That'll learn ya.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum