Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

casual riders being harassed

+13
barry_mcki
2wheelsagain
paul
car_ham
truck
madmax
b12mick
Ewok1958
Jimcoleman
gus
Baz
Kiwisteve
fat pete
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

casual riders being harassed Empty casual riders being harassed

Post  fat pete Tue 05 Nov 2013, 1:12 pm

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/casual-riders-complain-of-harassment-20131101-2woo5.html#ixzz2jLimT2Ip

fancy being asked to pull over and show your tatts,its just utter bullshit
fat pete
fat pete

Back to top Go down

casual riders being harassed Empty Re: casual riders being harassed

Post  Kiwisteve Tue 05 Nov 2013, 6:32 pm

Yep, you can imagine if one state can make it work, at some stage the  other states will follow.
Bugger that for a joke! Evil or Very Mad

Cruise n Comfort seat cover
Kiwisteve
Kiwisteve

Back to top Go down

Post  Baz Tue 05 Nov 2013, 7:02 pm

The problem now is Campbell Newman has placed himself and his entire family at risk because the bikies will be seeking their revenge on him even it takes 10, 20, 30 or 40 years. That will mean every Queenslander will be paying for his protection until the day he dies. Which might mean Queenslanders may have to buy him a new house in a new location possibly several times (maybe he has thought this law through thoroughly)

Don't we pay our politicians extremely well so that we don't end up with nitwits running things??  That's their excuse everytime they vote themselves a payrise .. so you have brilliant people making the laws of the land.

The next law they make will be that law abiding motorcyclists will need to have a implanted chip or tattoo to identify themselves from the 1%ers because the 1%ers don't or rather can't wear patches anymore.

Kawa GPZ900R
Hyo GV650 Aquila
GSF1250SA Bandit
GSX1250FA
currently BMW R1200RT
Baz
Baz

Back to top Go down

Post  Baz Tue 05 Nov 2013, 7:22 pm

Not that I support 1%ers ... their criminals. I just think a law allowing their deportation would be better than harrassing law abiding riders ... deportation to ??? who would take them ?     try deportation to Antartica, they could even take their bikes with them, and not just bikies, people who go around shooting 13 year olds in the back should also try their luck in the deep deep cold south.

Kawa GPZ900R
Hyo GV650 Aquila
GSF1250SA Bandit
GSX1250FA
currently BMW R1200RT
Baz
Baz

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 05 Nov 2013, 8:02 pm

I have been riding to work and back every day (80 kls round trip ) plus on the weekend . I have yet to notice any different attitude from police .Those who think it cool to look like a " bad ass " might have but i'm yet to see it
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  fat pete Tue 05 Nov 2013, 8:18 pm

gus wrote:I have been riding to work and back every day (80 kls round trip ) plus on the weekend . I have yet to notice any different attitude from police .Those who think it cool to look like a " bad ass " might have but i'm yet to see it
well gus your a lot luckier than some..and pray tell whats lookn like a bad ass since you brought it up,what exactly does that entail
fat pete
fat pete

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Tue 05 Nov 2013, 10:10 pm

I think we need to careful what the media tell us, after all they have never been known to lie, cheat and sensationalise.

But one thing i have noticed that the media is starting to turn on these new queensland laws, like the cartoon of the horse races being pulled up because of there colours. I think a few of the media are starting to see what these queensland laws really are and how the impead the general law abiding public, i think mayor newman should have stayed the mayor and left the decision making to the big boys . Time will tell
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Tue 05 Nov 2013, 11:39 pm

Baz wrote:The problem now is Campbell Newman has placed himself and his entire family at risk because the bikies will be seeking their revenge on him even it takes 10, 20, 30 or 40 years. That will mean every Queenslander will be paying for his protection until the day he dies. Which might mean Queenslanders may have to buy him a new house in a new location possibly several times (maybe he has thought this law through thoroughly)

Don't we pay our politicians extremely well so that we don't end up with nitwits running things??  That's their excuse everytime they vote themselves a payrise .. so you have brilliant people making the laws of the land.

The next law they make will be that law abiding motorcyclists will need to have a implanted chip or tattoo to identify themselves from the 1%ers because the 1%ers don't or rather can't wear patches anymore.
I nearly posted something similar to this but erased it before I hit the send button for fear of being an associate of the lawless society the laws are meant to bring to justice.  But if the reports are right(and I'm stressing I have no personal knowledge), these gangs have lots of: (a) money (from drug operations allegedly), (b) weapons, and (c) attitude and intent.  The problem with universally outlawing them all in one stroke is that you unite them as a single foe against you (that's simple management 101 if you've ever had to manage militant staff).  Add (a), (b) and (c) together and Baz is right (IMHO) - I won't be surprised to pick up a paper in days, weeks, years (take your pick) to find an article about a certain bloke who has been found mysteriously "deceased".
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Wed 06 Nov 2013, 11:18 am

Baz wrote:The problem now is Campbell Newman has placed himself and his entire family at risk because the bikies will be seeking their revenge on him even it takes 10, 20, 30 or 40 years. That will mean every Queenslander will be paying for his protection until the day he dies. Which might mean Queenslanders may have to buy him a new house in a new location possibly several times (maybe he has thought this law through thoroughly)

You're obviously not aware that the QLD Police have asked 'social' riders to ring a hot line to register their ride, that way the can supposedly avoid the 'harassment' from police.

What a crock of shit.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Wed 06 Nov 2013, 11:29 am

Baz wrote:Not that I support 1%ers ... their criminals. I just think a law allowing their deportation would be better than harrassing law abiding riders ... deportation to ??? who would take them ?     try deportation to Antartica, they could even take their bikes with them, and not just bikies, people who go around shooting 13 year olds in the back should also try their luck in the deep deep cold south.
Really? Every 1%er is a criminal? Really? I must ask some of my mates about their non-existent criminal record. You think deporting people that were born here is a good idea.  Fuck off.

Have a read of the legislation, you may be surprised to find out who it can be used against.  Basically anyone the government doesn't like can have this legislation used against them. 

I'm not defending criminals.  I firmly believe acts of crime should be investigated and if enough evidence it gathered, that evidence should be presented to a court of law. If the person(s) are found guilty, fair enough.  If they are found not guilty, that is also fair enough. That is how our legal system is supposed to work.

What Herr Newman and Herr Bleijie have done with this legislation is removed the courts from the process of declaring an organisation or individual to be criminal.  In order to be 'on the list' your organisations name is simply added by the Attorney General.  Now court appearances, no opportunity to defend yourself, BANG with the stroke of a pen you're a criminal.

This legislation removes and individuals right to a fair trial, it removes their right to be treated equal under the law, it removes a persons right to freedom of movement, it removes a persons right to freedom of association.

And all this to combat less the 0.6% of crime.  That's right 0.6% of crime.  Wow. What laws will they introduce to combat the other 99.4% of crime.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Wed 06 Nov 2013, 11:31 am

On a good sunny day that "hot" line is going to be "smoking hot" with hundreds of riders out and about at any one time.
And when the hot line is that busy and you can't get through, do you call off your ride? Or take a chance?

This has got to be the worst piece of anti-motorcycle legislation ever thought up. I can only hope it doesn't gain momentum and spread to the other states. Hopefully it will die an early death after it is found too hard to control

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Wed 06 Nov 2013, 11:34 am

madmax wrote:On a good sunny day that "hot" line is going to be "smoking hot" with hundreds of riders out and about at any one time.
And when the hot line is that busy and you can't get through, do you call off your ride? Or take a chance?

This has got to be the worst piece of anti-motorcycle legislation ever thought up. I can only hope it doesn't gain momentum and spread to the other states. Hopefully it will die an early death after it is found too hard to control
Here's the bigger issue.  It's not anti motorcycling, it's anti association.

Here have a read of this  http://www.guestlawyers.com.au/index.php/blog/are-you-a-vicious-lawless-associate.html

In the following post, barrister Anna Cappellano discusses the effect of the state government's recent Vicious Lawless Association Disestablishment Act

The Vicious Lawless Association Disestablishment Act 2013 (“VLAD”) was the first piece of the Queensland Government’s controversial anti-bikie legislation.[1] 

What does the VLAD Act do?
The VLAD Act is an unprecedented mandatory sentencing regime. It provides that people who are defined as “vicious lawless associates” will automatically have to serve 15 years in prison in addition to their standard sentence.[2]  If they are deemed to be an officer bearer of the relevant association, they will automatically be required to serve 25 years in custody in addition to their standard sentence.[3] The mandatory additional sentence of 15 or 25 years imprisonment must be imposed even if the person is not sentenced to a period of imprisonment for the original offence.
Unless the person becomes an informer, they are not eligible for parole during the additional sentence and accordingly will have to serve the entire 15 or 25 years in custody.

Relevance to “Bikies”
The recent anti-bikie legislation, including the VLAD Act, has been sold to the public as a necessary piece of legislative artillery in the Queensland Government’s “war on bikies”.  In the first week post the introduction of the Bills, the government has spent close to $800,000 on an extensive advertising campaign spreading the message that they have “drawn the line” on “Criminal Bikie Gangs.”
Contrary to the political spin, the extensive mandatory detention powers in the VLAD Act are not limited in any way to alleged “criminal bikie gangs”.  You do not have to be a member or associate of one of the 26 motorcycle clubs which have now been declared as criminal organisations to be classed as a vicious lawless associate. The declaration of these 26 clubs as criminal organisations and the resulting new criminal offences and increased penalties for their participants (such as the prohibition on 3 or more alleged bikies being together in a public place, an offence for which a person must now spend at least 6 months in custody if convicted) are part of a separate legislation scheme contained in the Criminal Law (Criminal Organisations Disruption) Amendment Act (“CLCOD”).  The ambit of the VLAD is in no way limited to members or associates of these clubs.

So then, who is a Vicious Lawless Associate?
A person is deemed to be a vicious lawless associate[4] if the following three conditions are satisfied:

1. The person commits a declared offence.
The relevant offences are listed in Schedule 1 of the VLAD. The listed offences include serious offences such as murder and various sexual offences but also include the offences of affray (which is taking part in a fight in public, a misdemeanour for which the maximum penalty is one year imprisonment); assault;[5] dangerous operation of a motor vehicle; receiving tainted property and possessing dangerous drugs.  It is not unusual for people with limited or no criminal history to be fined or to be sentenced to community based orders such as probation or community service rather than be imprisoned for these latter offences.

1. The person was a participant in the affairs of a relevant association when the offence was committed.
As flagged earlier, a relevant association is not a criminal bikie organisation. It is any corporation; unincorporated association; club or league; or group of 3 or more persons. The definition of a relevant association does not contain any requirement that the group, corporation, club, or 3 friends as the case may be, engaged in illegal activity. Groups such as school P&Cs, swimming clubs and RSLs are all relevant associations under the VLAD Act definitions.  As Queensland Law Society President Annette Bradfield noted, the legislation was so broad that it could apply to virtually any type of club or association.

1. The offence was committed in the course of participating in the affairs of the relevant association.

If these conditions are satisfied, a person is deemed to be a vicious lawful associate unless they can prove that engaging in certain offences is not one of purposes of the relevant association.

Our natural inclination may be to think that regardless of the broad initial definitions, the act will only catch career criminals who are in organisations whose clear purpose is to engage criminal behaviour, as has been alleged about by certain bikie clubs.  I think that it is highly unlikely that there is any organisation in existence in which declares that engaging in criminal activities is one of its purposes.  But significantly, the police and prosecution do not have to prove that one of the purposes of an organisation is engaging in criminal activities, the charged individual must prove that this is not the case.

Here are some practical examples of how the Act may apply in relatively minor situations.

Example 1
John Smith is a member of the Yeronga Bulls Rugby Union Club. After losing the elimination final to the Sherwood Falcons, John and his teammates head to the RE hotel for their official end-of-season function.  A number of the members of the Sherwood Falcons are also having (celebratory) drinks at the RE. During the course of the evening an argument breaks out between the two groups about the afternoon’s game. The argument turns physical and John is arrested for the offence of affray. John is an engineering student, with no criminal history. He pleads guilty in Brisbane Magistrates Court and receives a $1,500 fine with no conviction recorded.  Unfortunately for John, the VLAD act is enlivened.  His football club is a relevant association and he has committed the declared offence of affray while participating in the teams affairs at their official function.  Unless he can prove otherwise, he is a vicious lawful associate and will be required to serve 15 years in prison.

As mentioned previously, a natural reaction perhaps is to assume that John wouldn’t have a problem, as engaging in fights in public is not likely to be regarded to be one of the purposes of the Yeronga Bulls Reserves. But the Prosecution do not have to prove that it is. It is up to John to prove that this is not the case. Imagine then that John or any of his teammates had been involved in an altercation after a game on a previous occasion or that there had been any vaguely threatening text messages or face-book updates (from any of the team-mates) concerning the Sherwood Falcons or any other teams.  In those circumstances, there is a real prospect that John would be not be able to prove that he isn’t a vicious lawless associate, and accordingly the judge or magistrate would have no choice but to sentence John to 15 years imprisonment in addition to the fine.  If John happened to also be a treasurer of the club, he would be spend the next 25 years in jail.

Example 2
Daniel Jones is a member of the Northern Suburbs Commodore Car Enthusiasts Club.  Daniel engages in online forums on the organisation’s website and displays his car at the regular show and shine events. On one Thursday evening, during the show and shine, Daniel gets in his car and performs a burnout on the road.  He is seen by a passing police patrol and followed. Daniel attempts to evade the police for a short period of time during which he speeds. After being overtaken by the police vehicle he pulls over and is charged and pleads guilty to the offence of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle.  He is sentenced to a 6 month wholly suspended sentence in the District Court but because the offence was committed while he was participating in the affairs of the car club, unless he can prove otherwise he will be regarded as a vicious lawless associate and spend the next 15 or 25 in prison.  Again, if the police had previously been required to shut down show and shine events due to street racing or there were posts on the online forums in which burnouts, racing or other dangerous racing were boasted about, Daniel may have difficulty proving that dangerous driving was not a purpose of the club and will automatically spend 15 to 25 years in custody.

Concluding thoughts
The government has sold the VLAD Act to the public as a highly targeted piece of legislation, designed to disrupt and dismantle the illegal activities of outlaw motorcycle clubs. As the examples given in this article show, this is clearly not the case[6]. The incredibly broad drafting of the legislation and the fact that the onus of proof is on the defendant to prove that the association does not purposefully conduct illegal activities means that the act will apply in a whole host of circumstances which were never envisaged by the government, and individuals, who are by and large law abiding citizens, could find themselves behind bars for up to twenty-five years as a result of committing relatively minor offences.

The public debate on this issue has been largely been characterized by unhelpful name calling and hyperbole and amidst all this noise much of the real import of the legislation seems to have been glossed over. One thing that both sides would agree on, however, is that the legislation marks a significant change to Queensland’s legal landscape. That being the case, it is vitally important that the public is made aware of the ramifications of the new laws, so that it can engage in a considered and fully informed debate on the issue.

[1] The Tattoo Parlours Act 2013 and the Criminal Law (Criminal Organisations Disruption) Amendment Act 2013 are the other pieces of anti-bikie legislation.
[2] Section 7(1)(b) of VLAD.
[3] Section 7(1)(c) of  VLAD.
[4] Section 5 of VLAD. 
[5] That is, assault occasioning bodily harm. Bodily harm means any bodily injury that interferes with health or comfort.
[6] The writer does not wish to suggest that if the effect of the legislation was confined to the government’s purported target then it would necessarily be either effective or worthwhile. There are significant problems with legislation that seeks to target a particular group in the community, be they outlaw motorcycle clubs or otherwise, and which mandates disproportionately severe sentences for members of these groups. That is, however, a topic for another article. This article seeks only to outline how the new legislation fails to confine itself to those groups specifically targeted by the government and the danger which this failure poses the entire community.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  truck Wed 06 Nov 2013, 1:20 pm

If I am reading the previous post correctly, a regular church going grand ma who gets involved in a bit of push and shove in the church carpark could also be charged.
I am waiting for someone to organise a motorbike ride to the local polliticians office, not to show support for the bikies but to show we are not happy with the laws as written.
I would support it!
truck
truck

Back to top Go down

Post  car_ham Wed 06 Nov 2013, 5:06 pm

b12mick wrote:
madmax wrote:On a good sunny day that "hot" line is going to be "smoking hot" with hundreds of riders out and about at any one time.

Here's the bigger issue.  It's not anti motorcycling, it's anti association.

Here have a read of this  http://www.guestlawyers.com.au/index.php/blog/are-you-a-vicious-lawless-associate.html

In the following post, barrister Anna Cappellano discusses the effect of the state government's recent Vicious Lawless Association Disestablishment Act

The Vicious Lawless Association Disestablishment Act 2013 (“VLAD”) was the first piece of the Queensland Government’s controversial anti-bikie legislation.[1] 

What does the VLAD Act do?
The VLAD Act is an unprecedented mandatory sentencing regime. It provides that people who are defined as “vicious lawless associates” will automatically have to serve 15 years in prison in addition to their standard sentence.[2]  If they are deemed to be an officer bearer of the relevant association, they will automatically be required to serve 25 years in custody in addition to their standard sentence.[3] The mandatory additional sentence of 15 or 25 years imprisonment must be imposed even if the person is not sentenced to a period of imprisonment for the original offence.
Unless the person becomes an informer, they are not eligible for parole during the additional sentence and accordingly will have to serve the entire 15 or 25 years in custody.

Relevance to “Bikies”
The recent anti-bikie legislation, including the VLAD Act, has been sold to the public as a necessary piece of legislative artillery in the Queensland Government’s “war on bikies”.  In the first week post the introduction of the Bills, the government has spent close to $800,000 on an extensive advertising campaign spreading the message that they have “drawn the line” on “Criminal Bikie Gangs.”
Contrary to the political spin, the extensive mandatory detention powers in the VLAD Act are not limited in any way to alleged “criminal bikie gangs”.  You do not have to be a member or associate of one of the 26 motorcycle clubs which have now been declared as criminal organisations to be classed as a vicious lawless associate. The declaration of these 26 clubs as criminal organisations and the resulting new criminal offences and increased penalties for their participants (such as the prohibition on 3 or more alleged bikies being together in a public place, an offence for which a person must now spend at least 6 months in custody if convicted) are part of a separate legislation scheme contained in the Criminal Law (Criminal Organisations Disruption) Amendment Act (“CLCOD”).  The ambit of the VLAD is in no way limited to members or associates of these clubs.

So then, who is a Vicious Lawless Associate?
A person is deemed to be a vicious lawless associate[4] if the following three conditions are satisfied:

1. The person commits a declared offence.

The relevant offences are listed in Schedule 1 of the VLAD. The listed offences include serious offences such as murder and various sexual offences but also include the offences of affray (which is taking part in a fight in public, a misdemeanour for which the maximum penalty is one year imprisonment); assault;[5] dangerous operation of a motor vehicle; receiving tainted property and possessing dangerous drugs.  It is not unusual for people with limited or no criminal history to be fined or to be sentenced to community based orders such as probation or community service rather than be imprisoned for these latter offences.

1. The person was a participant in the affairs of a relevant association when the offence was committed.

As flagged earlier, a relevant association is not a criminal bikie organisation. It is any corporation; unincorporated association; club or league; or group of 3 or more persons. The definition of a relevant association does not contain any requirement that the group, corporation, club, or 3 friends as the case may be, engaged in illegal activity. Groups such as school P&Cs, swimming clubs and RSLs are all relevant associations under the VLAD Act definitions.  As Queensland Law Society President Annette Bradfield noted, the legislation was so broad that it could apply to virtually any type of club or association.

1. The offence was committed in the course of participating in the affairs of the relevant association.

If these conditions are satisfied, a person is deemed to be a vicious lawful associate unless they can prove that engaging in certain offences is not one of purposes of the relevant association.

Our natural inclination may be to think that regardless of the broad initial definitions, the act will only catch career criminals who are in organisations whose clear purpose is to engage criminal behaviour, as has been alleged about by certain bikie clubs.  I think that it is highly unlikely that there is any organisation in existence in which declares that engaging in criminal activities is one of its purposes.  But significantly, the police and prosecution do not have to prove that one of the purposes of an organisation is engaging in criminal activities, the charged individual must prove that this is not the case.

Here are some practical examples of how the Act may apply in relatively minor situations.

Example 1
John Smith is a member of the Yeronga Bulls Rugby Union Club. After losing the elimination final to the Sherwood Falcons, John and his teammates head to the RE hotel for their official end-of-season function.  A number of the members of the Sherwood Falcons are also having (celebratory) drinks at the RE. During the course of the evening an argument breaks out between the two groups about the afternoon’s game. The argument turns physical and John is arrested for the offence of affray. John is an engineering student, with no criminal history. He pleads guilty in Brisbane Magistrates Court and receives a $1,500 fine with no conviction recorded.  Unfortunately for John, the VLAD act is enlivened.  His football club is a relevant association and he has committed the declared offence of affray while participating in the teams affairs at their official function.  Unless he can prove otherwise, he is a vicious lawful associate and will be required to serve 15 years in prison.

As mentioned previously, a natural reaction perhaps is to assume that John wouldn’t have a problem, as engaging in fights in public is not likely to be regarded to be one of the purposes of the Yeronga Bulls Reserves. But the Prosecution do not have to prove that it is. It is up to John to prove that this is not the case. Imagine then that John or any of his teammates had been involved in an altercation after a game on a previous occasion or that there had been any vaguely threatening text messages or face-book updates (from any of the team-mates) concerning the Sherwood Falcons or any other teams.  In those circumstances, there is a real prospect that John would be not be able to prove that he isn’t a vicious lawless associate, and accordingly the judge or magistrate would have no choice but to sentence John to 15 years imprisonment in addition to the fine.  If John happened to also be a treasurer of the club, he would be spend the next 25 years in jail.

Example 2
Daniel Jones is a member of the Northern Suburbs Commodore Car Enthusiasts Club.  Daniel engages in online forums on the organisation’s website and displays his car at the regular show and shine events. On one Thursday evening, during the show and shine, Daniel gets in his car and performs a burnout on the road.  He is seen by a passing police patrol and followed. Daniel attempts to evade the police for a short period of time during which he speeds. After being overtaken by the police vehicle he pulls over and is charged and pleads guilty to the offence of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle.  He is sentenced to a 6 month wholly suspended sentence in the District Court but because the offence was committed while he was participating in the affairs of the car club, unless he can prove otherwise he will be regarded as a vicious lawless associate and spend the next 15 or 25 in prison.  Again, if the police had previously been required to shut down show and shine events due to street racing or there were posts on the online forums in which burnouts, racing or other dangerous racing were boasted about, Daniel may have difficulty proving that dangerous driving was not a purpose of the club and will automatically spend 15 to 25 years in custody.

Concluding thoughts
The government has sold the VLAD Act to the public as a highly targeted piece of legislation, designed to disrupt and dismantle the illegal activities of outlaw motorcycle clubs. As the examples given in this article show, this is clearly not the case[6]. The incredibly broad drafting of the legislation and the fact that the onus of proof is on the defendant to prove that the association does not purposefully conduct illegal activities means that the act will apply in a whole host of circumstances which were never envisaged by the government, and individuals, who are by and large law abiding citizens, could find themselves behind bars for up to twenty-five years as a result of committing relatively minor offences.

The public debate on this issue has been largely been characterized by unhelpful name calling and hyperbole and amidst all this noise much of the real import of the legislation seems to have been glossed over. One thing that both sides would agree on, however, is that the legislation marks a significant change to Queensland’s legal landscape. That being the case, it is vitally important that the public is made aware of the ramifications of the new laws, so that it can engage in a considered and fully informed debate on the issue.

[1] The Tattoo Parlours Act 2013 and the Criminal Law (Criminal Organisations Disruption) Amendment Act 2013 are the other pieces of anti-bikie legislation.
[2] Section 7(1)(b) of VLAD.
[3] Section 7(1)(c) of  VLAD.
[4] Section 5 of VLAD. 
[5] That is, assault occasioning bodily harm. Bodily harm means any bodily injury that interferes with health or comfort.
[6] The writer does not wish to suggest that if the effect of the legislation was confined to the government’s purported target then it would necessarily be either effective or worthwhile. There are significant problems with legislation that seeks to target a particular group in the community, be they outlaw motorcycle clubs or otherwise, and which mandates disproportionately severe sentences for members of these groups. That is, however, a topic for another article. This article seeks only to outline how the new legislation fails to confine itself to those groups specifically targeted by the government and the danger which this failure poses the entire community.
Word of caution, don't always believe what you read. The author of the above seems to have missed the following, which happens to be the next paragraph in the Act.

2) However, a person is not a vicious lawless associate if the

person proves that the relevant association is an association

whose members do not have as their purpose, or 1 of their

purposes, engaging in, or conspiring to engage in, declared

offences.

Therefore the above example are not correct, the footy club, the car club or the church (comment below) does not have as their purpose of engaging in the declared offence.

BikesGSX1250FA - 2012, black with Beowulf oval carbon fibre exhaust, Renthal Ultra Low Black Bars, Geelong Carbon Craft Carbon Fibre tank guard, Speedo Healer,TRE, Brake Light Pro, Butterflies removed, Ventura rack
DRZ400 - 2008 - Safari Tank, bash plate, Pro Taper bars,
car_ham
car_ham

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Wed 06 Nov 2013, 6:44 pm

b12mick wrote:
Baz wrote:Not that I support 1%ers ... their criminals. I just think a law allowing their deportation would be better than harrassing law abiding riders ... deportation to ??? who would take them ?     try deportation to Antartica, they could even take their bikes with them, and not just bikies, people who go around shooting 13 year olds in the back should also try their luck in the deep deep cold south.
Really? Every 1%er is a criminal? Really? I must ask some of my mates about their non-existent criminal record. You think deporting people that were born here is a good idea.  Fuck off.

Have a read of the legislation, you may be surprised to find out who it can be used against.  Basically anyone the government doesn't like can have this legislation used against them. 

I'm not defending criminals.  I firmly believe acts of crime should be investigated and if enough evidence it gathered, that evidence should be presented to a court of law. If the person(s) are found guilty, fair enough.  If they are found not guilty, that is also fair enough. That is how our legal system is supposed to work.

What Herr Newman and Herr Bleijie have done with this legislation is removed the courts from the process of declaring an organisation or individual to be criminal.  In order to be 'on the list' your organisations name is simply added by the Attorney General.  Now court appearances, no opportunity to defend yourself, BANG with the stroke of a pen you're a criminal.

This legislation removes and individuals right to a fair trial, it removes their right to be treated equal under the law, it removes a persons right to freedom of movement, it removes a persons right to freedom of association.

And all this to combat less the 0.6% of crime.  That's right 0.6% of crime.  Wow. What laws will they introduce to combat the other 99.4% of crime.

It will still be interesting to see what happens when this is tested in a court of law , it's all very well to introduce laws , but they still have to be constitutional .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:30 am

car_ham wrote:
Word of caution, don't always believe what you read. The author of the above seems to have missed the following, which happens to be the next paragraph in the Act.

2) However, a person is not a vicious lawless associate if the

person proves that the relevant association is an association

whose members do not have as their purpose, or 1 of their

purposes, engaging in, or conspiring to engage in, declared

offences.

Therefore the above example are not correct, the footy club, the car club or the church (comment below) does not have as their purpose of engaging in the declared offence.
All the Government have to do is provide evidence of members of the organisation engaging in those activities during events organised by the organisation.  This is stated in the examples, so no they haven't missed it.

" Again, if the police had previously been required to shut down show and shine events due to street racing or there were posts on the online forums in which burnouts, racing or other dangerous racing were boasted about, Daniel may have difficulty proving that dangerous driving was not a purpose of the club and will automatically spend 15 to 25 years in custody."
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:32 am

Given various organisations, including Amnesty International have spoken out against this Legislation, I am fairly confident that the QLD Government have got it very wrong.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Baz Thu 07 Nov 2013, 4:07 pm

I have re-read what I said and clearly I have got it wrong. I offer my sincere apologies B12Mick. It was typed after a few beers and after hearing about the 13yo girl being shot and I was pissed and angry and the topic headline made me more angry as I can't stand being harrased doing the thing I most love ...i.e.  riding bikes

I have met some 1%ers who, while I wouldn't say were most likely a total law abiding group, but they would be horrified at what happened to this girl as much as I and the general public are. I have since done a little reading on 1%ers and find some groups take part in toy runs and the like.

I have no knowledge of the constitution as it was never taught to me in school and I was clearly wrong. I made a kneejerk reaction much like Mr Newman has done and attempted to make a law out of it. I still think we need more out of politicians, with the amount money we give them.

Again my sincere apologies to you, your mates and any other 1%ers who are not heartless.

Kawa GPZ900R
Hyo GV650 Aquila
GSF1250SA Bandit
GSX1250FA
currently BMW R1200RT
Baz
Baz

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Fri 08 Nov 2013, 11:32 am

Don't worry about it.  We all go off half cocked from time to time.

Interesting though that the 13yr old wasn't shot by a member of a 1% Bike club, but in fact a member of a true street gang.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Fri 08 Nov 2013, 12:01 pm

Plus its only queenslander so rest of the country is ok
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  car_ham Fri 08 Nov 2013, 4:03 pm

This article is another side of the story, and I know this will offend many in this forum, but it is a view point I agree with. I put money on it in 12 months time, it will have all settled down, grannies at church will not have been locked up for 25 yrs, however the real criminal element will have been given a bit of a touch up by the law. The day I am proven wrong, i.e. we suddenly have a spate of church goers, car club members, rugby players being locked up for 25 yrs, then I will scream as loud as the rest.

I can remember many years ago when good friends of mine had to take their 2 yrs old to hospital with burn to her hand when she pulled an iron off an ironing board. They were very angry that at the hospital they had been questions about the injury being a true accident, or if it could have been abuse. I agreed that this was a very unpleasant thing for a loving parent to go through, but as I explained to them, if that level of questioning resulted in one child abuser being caught, then it was worth it.

More recently and before the crackdown, I was pulled over by a local traffic cop, and she was completely honest that it was because I was riding a bike. Her reasoning was that there was a particularly high number of riders  where either unlicensed or riding bikes  with a capacity above their licence limit. She was pleasant about the whole thing, apologised for the interruption to my day once all the checks had been made. Had the same thing happened today, to someone else, I put my left one on it that that person would have cried harassment and linked it to the new laws.

http://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au/news/victims-bikie-laws-youve-gotta-be-joking/2074298/

BikesGSX1250FA - 2012, black with Beowulf oval carbon fibre exhaust, Renthal Ultra Low Black Bars, Geelong Carbon Craft Carbon Fibre tank guard, Speedo Healer,TRE, Brake Light Pro, Butterflies removed, Ventura rack
DRZ400 - 2008 - Safari Tank, bash plate, Pro Taper bars,
car_ham
car_ham

Back to top Go down

Post  Baz Fri 08 Nov 2013, 4:26 pm

b12mick wrote:Don't worry about it.  We all go off half cocked from time to time.

Interesting though that the 13yr old wasn't shot by a member of a 1% Bike club, but in fact a member of a true street gang.
And thank goodness something is being done about it now.
I saw a photo which portrayed the latest boat arrivals recently ... built like a brick outhouse the guys were, if those people were refugees and suffering badly then I'm the Prime Minister. Thank goodness they don't automatically come into the country anymore.

Kawa GPZ900R
Hyo GV650 Aquila
GSF1250SA Bandit
GSX1250FA
currently BMW R1200RT
Baz
Baz

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Mon 11 Nov 2013, 10:59 am

Car-ham. Do some research mate.  No where in the guts of the legislation does it mention bikes, bikies, bike clubs etc. Only in the appendix does it list the names of some bike clubs. Interesting that from what I've been told by a member of the Rebels MC, 2 of the clubs don't have a presence in QLD, one has a single member (who is already in gaol) and there is one that doesn't exist anywhere. Oh and there's some spelling mistakes.

Now, given that they couldn't get the names of the clubs right, what hope have we got that the rest of the legislation is well thought out.

Also, the Judiciary, various law societies/organisations and Amnesty International (among others) have a problem with these laws then I'd say there's a problem with them.  Hell even Herr Newman has said he expects them to be challenged and to have to re-write them.  That's good law making practice isn't it.  Lets write what we know is wrong, see what gets through then try again.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 11 Nov 2013, 1:11 pm

car_ham wrote:This article is another side of the story, and I know this will offend many in this forum, but it is a view point I agree with. I put money on it in 12 months time, it will have all settled down, grannies at church will not have been locked up for 25 yrs, however the real criminal element will have been given a bit of a touch up by the law. The day I am proven wrong, i.e. we suddenly have a spate of church goers, car club members, rugby players being locked up for 25 yrs, then I will scream as loud as the rest.

I can remember many years ago when good friends of mine had to take their 2 yrs old to hospital with burn to her hand when she pulled an iron off an ironing board. They were very angry that at the hospital they had been questions about the injury being a true accident, or if it could have been abuse. I agreed that this was a very unpleasant thing for a loving parent to go through, but as I explained to them, if that level of questioning resulted in one child abuser being caught, then it was worth it.

More recently and before the crackdown, I was pulled over by a local traffic cop, and she was completely honest that it was because I was riding a bike. Her reasoning was that there was a particularly high number of riders  where either unlicensed or riding bikes  with a capacity above their licence limit. She was pleasant about the whole thing, apologised for the interruption to my day once all the checks had been made. Had the same thing happened today, to someone else, I put my left one on it that that person would have cried harassment and linked it to the new laws.

http://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au/news/victims-bikie-laws-youve-gotta-be-joking/2074298/
Gee the ***wits have invaded this forum now...................

It is NOT ok to be pulled over just because you're riding a bike.
Laws already exist to deal with organised crime, drugs & murder etc.
Your child injury story would be the same as everyone who buys an iron having to prove they're not a child abuser.

Prove my first sentence wrong Rolling Eyes

Last edited by 2wheelsagain on Mon 11 Nov 2013, 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Mon 11 Nov 2013, 1:48 pm

I personally believe there are enough laws to cover the so-called bikie lawless associations without bowing to media fuelled hyper-reaction-ism.

Where things are falling down is the almost criminal delinquency of the judicial system to plea-bargaining serious crime down to minimal charges.  Judges have in their power to reject these back-room deals, many of them done because the prosecutors are too scared to extend their budgets to cover the trials. 

Although it was not Qld I'm sure simular things are happening all over Australia.  Who was the idiot that put a civil judge onto a criminal trial in the first place ?  Then for him to turn round and give such a low sentence because the thug has the potential to be rehabilitated - what about the actual crimes he committed ?

4 years for the deliberate bashing and subsequent death of that young man in my mind is criminal in itself, a crime against the parents, not committed by the thug who killed their son but the negligent, incompetent bureaucrats of the judicial system that is suppose to protect us and deter law breakers.

When the dregs of society know they can actually get away with murder with essentially a slap on the wrist it is no wonder crime is on the increase.  I say fix up your own house first before putting out even more laws that when prosecuted will also fail the citizens they were intended to protect.

casual riders being harassed Smiley-angry018

casual riders being harassed Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next